WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question How do you pack a platypus or other hydration device...

I am thinking about using a platypus (with drinking hose) or similar product for my thru-hike. I've never used one before. How do you pack a platypus with drinking hose into your backpack? ...I'm worried about leaks. The top of the platypus is only held closed with a zip-lock and I don't have too much faith in the connection with the hose at the base of the platypus either. I feel like I'm missing something?

Is there another product out there that is better?

Images

I had the same worries, but I've had no problems w/ my platypus. Both sides hold up well, never a leak. Enjoy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VaTechDC517
    I am thinking about using a platypus (with drinking hose) or similar product for my thru-hike. I've never used one before. How do you pack a platypus with drinking hose into your backpack?
    I use a platypus with drinking tube. It works very well. I have a mesh pocket on the outside of my pack on my right side. I fill the 2 L platy most of the way, if it will be a dry 10 miles, and then stuff the platy upside down in the mesh pocket. The tube slips through two loops on the edge of my right pack strap. Whenever I want a drink, I just reach over for the tube and squeeze the bite valve with my teeth.

The only leaks I have had were when I set the pack down on the bite valve. This is especially bad when puttin the pack in a vehicle.
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Default platypus

I do not trust myself to firmly close a zip-lock style, so I purchased the platypus with the screw-on cap. I make sure the cap is on tight, and place the platypus upside down inside the backpack, outside the plastic bag that contains all my stuff, and up against my back. My body heat keeps the water from freezing in very cold weather. The drinking tube comes up through the main opening of the pack, over my shoulder, and clips on in the front on one of the carrying straps. In very cold weather, I blow air back into the tube after drinking, which prevents the little bite valve from freezing up. The only leaks I have ever experienced, as others have noted, are if I set the pack down on the bite valve, and once when we were being shuttled to a trailhead and other people threw all the packs into the van, and the tube and platypus got mashed, and all my water flowed out into the van. Miss Janet, who was driving us, persuaded my fellow hikers to share water with me, and I got to the next spring just fine. I have used this platypus for two years and more than 600 hiking miles.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default Not 2 worry...

I am thinking about using a platypus (with drinking hose) or similar product for my thru-hike. I've never used one before. How do you pack a platypus with drinking hose into your backpack? ...I'm worried about leaks. The top of the platypus is only held closed with a zip-lock and I don't have too much faith in the connection with the hose at the base of the platypus either. I feel like I'm missing something?

I too have been using a Platy with a zilock top. When using my GoLite Speed there is a pocket especially for it inside the pack down the back. I love being able to fill my bladder w/o having to take it out of the pack. No leaks so far!

When using my Osprey I made a bag for it out of sil. I place in the pack down the back and pack.

Back in 2002 I used a Camelback with the widemouth that SCREWED shut. It leaked like a sive.

HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Yeh I ended up losing most of my water one time when I hoisted my pack on in the rain and did not notice that my tube (bite valve) had shifted and was squeezed between my back and my pack. I have since bought a little on/off valve/switch that fits on the end of the tube (actually made by Camelbak but fits Platypus)- brilliant.

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. My pack has a narrow, deep side pocket that the platypus fits into easy enough. As for any leaks...Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Suggestion ...

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. My pack has a narrow, deep side pocket that the platypus fits into easy enough. As for any leaks...Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks!
    If you've got any doubts about your Platypus leaking I suggest you consider using a liner bag in your backpack. Actually I found it to be a good idea anyway. Pack covers are OK for a while but sooner or later in a driving rain (and we had a lot of that in 2003) they will leak. Check out the plastic compactor bags at WalMart. They come in a box of 5 or 10 (can't remember now). They are thicker and more durable than a tall kitchen trash bag. I was able to get from Springer to Katahdin with 3 of them last year.

For what it's worth, I had one of those zip top Platy's come open on me last year. The more you use them the looser that zip top gets and then when you put pressure on the bag they either leak or come wide open. I replaced my zip top Platy with a solid one. I did carry a 4 Liter zip top Platy in my pack though for water gathering at night but I never hiked with it when it was filled with water. Nice thing about the large capacity Platy is that you can capture and filter/purify enough water at one time for dinner, breakfast and the start of your next day's hike.

Just a thought ....
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

For what it's worth, I'll be using an MSR Dromlite Hydration System. The 2-liter bladder I will keep high and close inside my pack, outside my silnylon packliner.
    When I first bought it I had a leak at the smaller screw-cap, which I quickly repaired with teflon tape (plumber's tape). No leaks since, but if it starts giving me problems I intend to ditch it.

Default Protecting bite valve on a platy

FWIW, you can protect the bite valve by taking a plastic 35mm film canister and drilling a hole in the bottom just big enough for the tube. You slip the thing over the tube, open end toward the bite valve, then reinstall the valve assembly onto the tube. Shove the canister up out of the way while hiking, and pull it down to cover the valve when dumping your pack in a truck or beside a tree. It acts like a shroud to keep the valve from getting squeezed open.
    The person who gave me this idea kept the canister cap, too, because she is prissy and wanted to keep the end of the valve from getting dirt on it (horrors!). I'd just throw the cap away (or, more likely, lose it the first day).
    -HM

Default Re: Protecting bite valve ...

35mm film canister. Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by rmtjr
    35mm film canister. Great idea!
    I have the MSR bag. I didn't like the bite valve on it and switched out that for a Platypus bite valve. I had trouble with that dripping, actually the whole bag drained out in my tent one night. So I bought the on/off valve from Camelback that you can buy by it's self and added that . No more dripping problems. Now I have a MSRPlatyback, or a MSRCamelpus or.....

Warning....the small screw top/hose, where it screws unto the large screw top tends to work loose. Tighten that up before you put it in your bag to avoid any accidents. Speaking from experience.

Images

For me, a platy is for in camp only. I have a 2L one for in camp or for when I need to carry more than 2L. It just doesnt seem pack worthy to me compared to a camelbak (also 2L). Yes, slightly more expensive, but bombproof. I like the bite valve on the camelbak much more than the platy one, and the optional butterfly valve (hydrolock) allows me to securly stop the flow 100%, even if the bite valve is accidentally opened in the car. The new ones have a nice large filling area, and the type of material used will never get cracks due to folding. It gets dyed with Iodine (I use aquamira), and slightly holds tastes (I dont use flavorings), but I have used it for many a mile on both bike and hike, and it is holding up great!

Brian

Images

Two or three times I've had the bite value of my platy come off while hiking when I got the hose hooked on a tree limb. Suddenly my legs were getting soaked, and the only thing I could do was put the bare hose in my mouth and gulp quickly. I've learned to carry a spare bite value. An on-off value can avoid disaster at these times, but it's still hard to drink without a bite valve.

Images

Default Platy-pus

I stopped using a platy for hiking after the bite valve fell off like Deb W's did. Now I use a 6 liter big zip platy bag (weight is 3 oz i think) for camp. I will fill it up accordingly so I will have a 2 liters to drink after hiking a liter for cooking and two liters for the next day. I use aqua mira so I will treat it all after pouring water for cooking because waiting for aqua mira to work is like ...well like watching aqua mira work. This cooking water does not get treated but boiled instead. It is nice to only have to go to the water source once while camping and I always have water to fill my plastic gatorade or softdrink bottles before I leave camp.
    without love in the dream it will never come true...

++ New Posts ++