WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just curious

Default Just curious

I've been reading and sometimes contributing to (to many people's dismay according to my button) this site for awhile and I was wondering how many of the visitors or members have gone to college. I was just wondering since I see so many loggers saying that they have a PHD in this or that, or some kind of degree. I've hiked since 1998 and really didn't notice or ask about a hiker's education but since I've been on this site it makes me wonder. Is hiking really for the educated person or not?

Quote Originally Posted by screwysquirrel
    I've been reading and sometimes contributing to (to many people's dismay according to my button) this site for awhile and I was wondering how many of the visitors or members have gone to college. I was just wondering since I see so many loggers saying that they have a PHD in this or that, or some kind of degree. I've hiked since 1998 and really didn't notice or ask about a hiker's education but since I've been on this site it makes me wonder. Is hiking really for the educated person or not?
    I have a masters degree, but don't think education is important to hiking as long as you can read...a map.
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by screwysquirrel
    I've been reading and sometimes contributing to (to many people's dismay according to my button) this site for awhile and I was wondering how many of the visitors or members have gone to college....................blah,blah,blah......... ..............................?

ScrewySquirrel:

i'm with Chappy on this one...doesnt take too much of an education to "Walk in the Woods" (with or WITHOUT a map)...but i'd think most of us went to college & have a degree in one thing or another.
    My degree is in Mass Communications (Radio & TV Broadcasting). Currently working on another in Religious Studies & Philosophy.

Have been working in Broadcasting world for 30+ years now!

good luck with your hike & your curiousity!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

I agree most prolly have a college degree of some sort. I never quite finished, have three years in a major I didn't care for called "Industrial Technology". I have a great job as an operator at a water filtration plant, though, so I guess I did stay with that theme. Tried going back to finish, but I just don't care for school (never did) and it didn't seem necessary to my well-being so I gave up on the idea.
    Greg P.

I ain't got no stinkin education. Just a lot of money.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Hiking's for everyone, regardless of education or socio-economic status. That said, it is surprising at how folks stereotype hikers. I've got my MBA and an executive-level position in the IT industry with a ridiculous salary, which is all the more reason that I look forward to getting away to the woods to hike. People always presume that I have all this time to think and ponder life, when in fact 99% or more of the time is thinking about staying warm, monitoring pain and exhaustion, making sure I can get to shelter and water, enjoying the views and solitude, hoping that I didn't leave anything behind, watching my footing, monitoring my pace, enjoying a birdcall or the sunlight streaming through the trees, wondering why I do this to myself year after year, trying to keep hydrated, eating, trying to sleep, etc. (Of course, the normal male sexual thoughts are sprinkled liberally throughout). After a week, I find that I'm much more focused on whatever I'm doing and much less stressed and ready to get back. My education and practice help me to solve problems, but hiking has a lot more to do with common sense and preparedness.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

at least 10 characters
    Last edited by Jersey Bob; 10-27-2004 at 15:34.

Default Only thing that an education gives you...

I have my PhD in physics (Gravitational Wave Detection was the area - hence the Gravity Man).

The reason that I think that you see more educated people out there on the trail is because they have more time to recreate. More time off from their jobs, more money and fewer kids.

Just a theory...

Gravity man

at least 10 characters

Jersey Bob,
    Your last comment was a real joule ;-)

Images

Default from the no-degree side

Five courses away from an Associates Degree which is not recognized at the real University only at Community Colleges...so I don't have a degree. Although I've taken alot of different types of classes through-out the years. I've been hiking since I was 9 years old and I'm 47 now.
    aesop
    "Good night, Mary Ellen."

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

I've hiked with brain surgeons; I've hiked with tree surgeons. I've hiked with guys who designed $100 million dollar bridges and tunnels; I've hiked with guys who dig ditches. I've hiked with guys that owned four-star Manhattan restaurants; I've hiked with prep cooks and pot scrubbers. I've hiked with university presidents and professors; I've hiked with guys who droped out of the seventh grade. I've hiked with guys who breed and own thoroughbreds; I've hiked with guys who mucked out stables.

There are fewer things out there that matter LESS that your formal education, your chosen livelihood, your station in life, the size of your house; the health of your bank account.

The Trail is a great leveller, and this is absolutely a good thing. It is amazing the way the Trail changes the way you see----and the way you pre-judge---other people.

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Whoops! I forgot to notice that I was writing while Miss Janet was still signed on: While I'm sure she agrees with what I wrote, I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth.

The comments above were mine.

---Jack Tarlin

Default semiutilized degrees

I have an AA in photograpghy and worked in photojournalism and advertising doing the crap you pull out of the Sunday paper and immediately place under the parakeet. Made decent money doing that which allowed me to work as an organizer for an environmental group working on toxic and radioactive waste issues. Also have a BA in sociology which was mostly an independent study program. I learned the independent thought process while attempting a GA-Me trip the year I was supposed to be a high school senior. Hiking taught me invaluable life lessons and put the surreal world in perspective. The post secondary education and training helps make money and contributes to the enjoyment of the hiking experience (and life in general) but is certainly not necessary.

I am now a self employed artisan restoring masonry chimneys. I like the creative aspects and because my partner and I are "the experts when you want it done right" I can juggle my schedule to hike and paddle within reason.
    The best part is few people have the knowlege to even consider telling me how to do my job, kind of like hike your own hike in the work world.

at least 10 characters

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I ain't got no stinkin education. Just a lot of money.
    Wanna trade?
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Default d'shadow

It is for anyone who loves being in the wild and has a passion for hiking, regardless of their level of education...my cousin, Melvin, was an expert woodsman with a high school degree, he spent his life in the woods...I'm a life long learner with a Masters in History...life is an adventure! lets enjoy it

Jersey Bob,
    Sorry, couldn't resist the pun. I have an electrifying wit in my ohm way. I say that with some reluctance.

I have a PHT from Ohio State - that's Putting Hubby Through. Education has nothing to do with hiking. All I need is a measure of health and heart.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman
    I have my PhD in physics (Gravitational Wave Detection was the area - hence the Gravity Man).
    I knew a physicist once. Eddie Currents. Poor guy died of hysteresis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++