WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Shelter Registers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Totally situational. Sometimes I ignore them. Sometimes I read but don't write. Sometimes I write a lot, sometimes just a line or two. I often enjoy the artwork and the logos that hikers have designed for themselves. I usually enjoy reading entries from very young people -- the spelling and grammar are awful, but the excitement and joy often shine through.

Usually ignore onaccounta I don't care about trail gossip. If I do sign its "EZ in EZ out" makes it alot ezier
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

I got so I was addicted to them, wanted to go to every shelter. Maybe it was because of a general lack of reading material, and knowing whats up with my fellow hikers, trail conditions, etc. Butters' cartoons were also pretty entertaining.

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Oh, and yeah, I sign them too. I try to say keep it interesting, say something funny. There's a lot of just "so and so in for lunch" entries, so I like to add to it with clever comments. And occasional informative notes.

But I try not to gripe. Too many people use the shelter registers like a personal diary, "oh, I hate these hills, my feet hurt, why are there so many rocks..." Hell, it beats workin'.

Images

As a maintainer of a section of trail I am out often and when I get a chance I run up to the Telephone Pioneer shelter and check out the log as well as the general condition of the place even though its not my area. I try to help as many hikers as they pass though as possible and it is fun to keep tabs on who has come though and who others say is just behind them. Whats fun is when you know someone is in the area and you have seen a pic of them then bump into them and address them by their trail name kind of freaks them out a bit.

"butters"(08) made the funniest register entries i've ever seen- full page covers from his imaginary hiking magazine called "stinkin' thinkin' "...they were definitely something to look forward to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++