WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Arrow Does anyone replace zippers in sleeping bags?

I have an old Holubar sleeping that is in great condition except the zipper is all torn up. Does anyone know of a place that can replace zippers in a sleeping bag?
    Be good!!!
    |..............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|.......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\......| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Images

I would check with REI. Seem to remember that they do gear repairs. I would expect to pay for it tho.

I think North Face bought out Holubar, so they may offer repair service.

Third option, contact Specialty Outdoors. They do custom modifications and gear repair. Contact person is Penny.

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/

Default replacing zippers

Places in any town that do alterations, routinely replace zippers. You'd be surprised how many shops like this are around.

Quote Originally Posted by tom_alan View Post
    I have an old Holubar sleeping that is in great condition except the zipper is all torn up. Does anyone know of a place that can replace zippers in a sleeping bag?
    Your local taylor/ seamstress should be able to replace the zipper. My first choice would be the gear manufacturer but in your case that is not an option.
    "There are people who plan and people who do, I'm a doer."

aka Kudzu
    Images

If you have access to a sewing machine you can pick up 100" sleeping bag zippers at your local JoAnn's or comparable store. I forget the price off the top of my head though.

If the zipper's torn out of the bag, it's probably prohibitively expensive to get a new one sewn in, and, at any case, it won't be like new, because zipper tape is sewn into the bag's seam, and it would take too long to rip the seam to install a replacement zipper to make it close to worth your while.

If the zipper slider does not mate the zipper halves but the teeth are still ok, the slider can be replaced in a few minutes by almost anyone. I've fixed zippers in several jackets, packs and sleeping bags over the years that way.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

You could try this place http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/
    I have no affiliation with them and haven't ever used their service so I can't vouch for them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    If the zipper's torn out of the bag, it's probably prohibitively expensive to get a new one sewn in, and, at any case, it won't be like new, because zipper tape is sewn into the bag's seam, and it would take too long to rip the seam to install a replacement zipper to make it close to worth your while.

If the zipper slider does not mate the zipper halves but the teeth are still ok, the slider can be replaced in a few minutes by almost anyone. I've fixed zippers in several jackets, packs and sleeping bags over the years that way.
    The slider was missing after my son used it and there are places where the teeth are missing. I guess I need to look at whatever makes more sense ~ replacing the bag or fixing the zipper.
    Be good!!!
    |..............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|.......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\......| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Email Penny at Specialty Outdoors, as others have said. Give her the length of the zipper. That will factor into how much it will cost.
    She says on the site that she doesn't work on down products. I don't blame her. Consider the mess that opening up a down item makes. Static electricity causes the down to stick to everything - never mind trying to get it back in!
    - Might be time to consider using it as a quilt. Cutting the zipper teeth off will drop a little weight off of the bag. This is just a wild suggestion.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++