WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Backpack Volume & Top Five

I have decided to make the switch to light/ultralight for my third attempt at an AT thru-hike. I am somewhat amazed by all the choices in ultralight backpacks and being so different from traditional packs, including my Osprey Aether 70, I have a couple questions. What volume range of ultralight pack is normal for a thru-hike? Also, what do you think the top five ultralight packs would be for a thru-hike? Thanks!

3000 and 1lb max.

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    3000 and 1lb max.
    Not big enough and a 1# pack means a frameless pack. The Granite Gear Vapor Trail weighs 2#, has a light frame, and LOTS of satisfied users.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

3000 CI is about right for a thru-hike, esp on the AT, to be honest. Much larger, and you are hauling a bigger pack than most people need.

FWIW, my friend Andy (Garlic) just did the AT with with a Mariposa and it is still in usable condition.

In fairness, lightweight backpacking does not seem to be as popular back East as it is out West for whatever reason.

Most people, myself included, probably treat their gear too rough to use a pack like a Mariposa, though. I use the SMD Essence for whatever it is worth.

As others said, if you are looking for a more traditional pack (frame support), that is still pretty light, you can't go wrong with ULA Gear.

As a tangent, every year PCT and CDT hikers (and Hayduke Trail and AZT hikers for that matter) walk through the desert hauling water with a frameless ruck.

At the end of the day, get a pack that works for you. Who cares what is the most popular pack?
    Last edited by Mags; 10-09-2008 at 14:07.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by naturejunkie View Post
    I have decided to make the switch to light/ultralight for my third attempt at an AT thru-hike. I am somewhat amazed by all the choices in ultralight backpacks and being so different from traditional packs, including my Osprey Aether 70, I have a couple questions. What volume range of ultralight pack is normal for a thru-hike? Also, what do you think the top five ultralight packs would be for a thru-hike? Thanks!
    ULA has gotta be high up there, personally I'd recommend them, I've got a circuit and its more than enough, gota pseudo frame in case I do need to take a longer haul, and its comfy as all get out!!!

That is not a UL PACK...plane and simple.

That is not a UL PACK...plane and simple.
    Hasn't this been hashed to death about where the boundaries of UL are?

UL can be done in a pack with a pseudo frame (i.e. a carbon fiber hoop, or a good sleeping pad).

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Hasn't this been hashed to death about where the boundaries of UL are?

UL can be done in a pack with a pseudo frame (i.e. a carbon fiber hoop, or a good sleeping pad).
    Well to you UL MEANS ULA.TO ME ULA =HEAVY.

Well to you UL MEANS ULA.TO ME ULA =HEAVY.
    I looked into some of the other packs, I chose ULA cause I still whack the bush and I wanted something that could carry a bear can.

Golite's looked alright, the Katahdins looked too flimsy for me, Gossamer Gear looked nice, Moonbow gearskins looked badass, I'd consider all of those UL maybe approaching just lite.

Sometimes minimum weight is not the only factor, however, I do agree with the 3000CI, that should be plenty, even with a real sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    I looked into some of the other packs, I chose ULA cause I still whack the bush and I wanted something that could carry a bear can.

Golite's looked alright, the Katahdins looked too flimsy for me, Gossamer Gear looked nice, Moonbow gearskins looked badass, I'd consider all of those UL maybe approaching just lite.

Sometimes minimum weight is not the only factor, however, I do agree with the 3000CI, that should be plenty, even with a real sleeping bag.
    Bag.you mean W.M.....F.F.?

Also at 3000,the number to reach k in a ATMOS 50?

Images

Also at 3000, the number to reach k in a ATMOS 50?
    Isn't the Atmos 50 a 3.1# pack? When did this become UL?

A ULA Conduit weighs 1.25 # and holds 3,200 with a better suspension & tougher fabric.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Isn't the Atmos 50 a 3.1# pack? When did this become UL?

A ULA Conduit weighs 1.25 # and holds 3,200 with a better suspension & tougher fabric.
    It was just to SHOW a 3000 has made it plenty.

The conduit is a good pack..but is a lug in ul.

The ULA Conduit does not have a frame...it relies on you inserting a sleeping pad to creat a suspension...it's just a floppy rucksack....but a NICE floppy rucksack (not that there is anything wrong w/being floppy).

I have a JAM2. I think it is 3100ci and weighs 20oz. Cost $100. I like it. If I could change it then it would be a little larger in diameter so I could would fit my hips better if I were to use it as a bivy for my bottom half. Also, it would be nice if the back pocket were stretchier, perhaps mesh, and large enough for my Kelly Kettle. Not a bad pack though. I like the simplicity and the waterproofiness of the main compartment. I think 16oz and 3200ci should be do-able for a UL pack, and still be functional and durable.

There is no maximum volume for a pack to be considered UL. UL means Ultralight, not Ultracompact. Unless you are running volume is not a problem, and packing stuff less densely is often simpler, easier on the pack and gear, and can actually be a weight saver.

Cool, thanks all for the advice. That gives me a place to start.

Slow, excuse me for asking, but have you thru-hiked?

If so, what did you use?

Personally, I think it'd be very difficult for most folks to thru in a pack that was smaller than 3000 cubes, and there are very few packs weighing a pound that offer ANYTHING in terms of frame, support, hip belts, etc.

NatureJunkie:

The most popular packs this past year on the Trail were Osprey, Granite Gear, Go-Lite, ULA and Gregory, and virtually NONE of them were less than 3000 inches or less than a pound. Most of them were between 3200 and 4000 ounces, and most weighed up to three and a half pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

If so, what did you use?

Personally, I think it'd be very difficult for most folks to thru in a pack that was smaller than 3000 cubes, and there are very few packs weighing a pound that offer ANYTHING in terms of frame, support, hip belts, etc.

NatureJunkie:

The most popular packs this past year on the Trail were Osprey, Granite Gear, Go-Lite, ULA and Gregory, and virtually NONE of them were less than 3000 inches or less than a pound. Most of them were between 3200 and 4000 ounces, and most weighed up to three and a half pounds.
    Jack no thru.
    NOT one of those packs are UL in this day.

Default Jack what are you smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

If so, what did you use?

NatureJunkie:

Jack you really need to quit smoking. It is affecting your judgment. A thru-hike can easy be done with less than 3000 cu/in. Doing my first thru-hike, I wasn’t carrying anything that big and that was 19 years ago. The gear has gotten a lot lighter sense then. You even seen me hike a 280 mile stretch in March doing NH, TN, GA when it was cold out without any problem carrying my REI Flash UL 1050 cu/in.

You are correct, there are few packs weighing a pound that offer a frame or support but they are also design for ultra-light backpacking - most do have a weak version of a hip belt. A hiker carrying less than 15 pounds total weight is not going to need that stuff.

Someone carrying a 3000 cu/in, I wouldn’t even classify as going UL. They are obvious carrying extra weight and after carrying a 100+ miles, I’m sure they know it too.

The best pack I found so far has been the REI Flash UL. Cost $25.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Jack you really need to quit smoking. It is affecting your judgment. A thru-hike can easy be done with less than 3000 cu/in. Doing my first thru-hike, I wasn’t carrying anything that big and that was 19 years ago. The gear has gotten a lot lighter sense then. You even seen me hike a 280 mile stretch in March doing NH, TN, GA when it was cold out without any problem carrying my REI Flash UL 1050 cu/in.

You are correct, there are few packs weighing a pound that offer a frame or support but they are also design for ultra-light backpacking - most do have a weak version of a hip belt. A hiker carrying less than 15 pounds total weight is not going to need that stuff.

Someone carrying a 3000 cu/in, I wouldn’t even classify as going UL. They are obvious carrying extra weight and after carrying a 100+ miles, I’m sure they know it too.

The best pack I found so far has been the REI Flash UL. Cost $25.

Wolf
    Thank you.

Just cant see on this fourm,how you can fill a 3000 pack 4 day hike?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++