WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Backpack Volume & Top Five

I have decided to make the switch to light/ultralight for my third attempt at an AT thru-hike. I am somewhat amazed by all the choices in ultralight backpacks and being so different from traditional packs, including my Osprey Aether 70, I have a couple questions. What volume range of ultralight pack is normal for a thru-hike? Also, what do you think the top five ultralight packs would be for a thru-hike? Thanks!

3000 and 1lb max.

Quote Originally Posted by naturejunkie View Post
    I have decided to make the switch to light/ultralight for my third attempt at an AT thru-hike. I am somewhat amazed by all the choices in ultralight backpacks and being so different from traditional packs, including my Osprey Aether 70, I have a couple questions. What volume range of ultralight pack is normal for a thru-hike? Also, what do you think the top five ultralight packs would be for a thru-hike? Thanks!
    ULA has gotta be high up there, personally I'd recommend them, I've got a circuit and its more than enough, gota pseudo frame in case I do need to take a longer haul, and its comfy as all get out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    3000 and 1lb max.
    Not big enough and a 1# pack means a frameless pack. The Granite Gear Vapor Trail weighs 2#, has a light frame, and LOTS of satisfied users.

That is not a UL PACK...plane and simple.

That is not a UL PACK...plane and simple.
    Hasn't this been hashed to death about where the boundaries of UL are?

UL can be done in a pack with a pseudo frame (i.e. a carbon fiber hoop, or a good sleeping pad).

Also at 3000,the number to reach k in a ATMOS 50?

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Hasn't this been hashed to death about where the boundaries of UL are?

UL can be done in a pack with a pseudo frame (i.e. a carbon fiber hoop, or a good sleeping pad).
    Well to you UL MEANS ULA.TO ME ULA =HEAVY.

Well to you UL MEANS ULA.TO ME ULA =HEAVY.
    I looked into some of the other packs, I chose ULA cause I still whack the bush and I wanted something that could carry a bear can.

Golite's looked alright, the Katahdins looked too flimsy for me, Gossamer Gear looked nice, Moonbow gearskins looked badass, I'd consider all of those UL maybe approaching just lite.

Sometimes minimum weight is not the only factor, however, I do agree with the 3000CI, that should be plenty, even with a real sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    I looked into some of the other packs, I chose ULA cause I still whack the bush and I wanted something that could carry a bear can.

Golite's looked alright, the Katahdins looked too flimsy for me, Gossamer Gear looked nice, Moonbow gearskins looked badass, I'd consider all of those UL maybe approaching just lite.

Sometimes minimum weight is not the only factor, however, I do agree with the 3000CI, that should be plenty, even with a real sleeping bag.
    Bag.you mean W.M.....F.F.?

Images

Also at 3000, the number to reach k in a ATMOS 50?
    Isn't the Atmos 50 a 3.1# pack? When did this become UL?

A ULA Conduit weighs 1.25 # and holds 3,200 with a better suspension & tougher fabric.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Isn't the Atmos 50 a 3.1# pack? When did this become UL?

A ULA Conduit weighs 1.25 # and holds 3,200 with a better suspension & tougher fabric.
    It was just to SHOW a 3000 has made it plenty.

The conduit is a good pack..but is a lug in ul.

The ULA Conduit does not have a frame...it relies on you inserting a sleeping pad to creat a suspension...it's just a floppy rucksack....but a NICE floppy rucksack (not that there is anything wrong w/being floppy).

I have a JAM2. I think it is 3100ci and weighs 20oz. Cost $100. I like it. If I could change it then it would be a little larger in diameter so I could would fit my hips better if I were to use it as a bivy for my bottom half. Also, it would be nice if the back pocket were stretchier, perhaps mesh, and large enough for my Kelly Kettle. Not a bad pack though. I like the simplicity and the waterproofiness of the main compartment. I think 16oz and 3200ci should be do-able for a UL pack, and still be functional and durable.

There is no maximum volume for a pack to be considered UL. UL means Ultralight, not Ultracompact. Unless you are running volume is not a problem, and packing stuff less densely is often simpler, easier on the pack and gear, and can actually be a weight saver.

Cool, thanks all for the advice. That gives me a place to start.

Slow, excuse me for asking, but have you thru-hiked?

If so, what did you use?

Personally, I think it'd be very difficult for most folks to thru in a pack that was smaller than 3000 cubes, and there are very few packs weighing a pound that offer ANYTHING in terms of frame, support, hip belts, etc.

NatureJunkie:

The most popular packs this past year on the Trail were Osprey, Granite Gear, Go-Lite, ULA and Gregory, and virtually NONE of them were less than 3000 inches or less than a pound. Most of them were between 3200 and 4000 ounces, and most weighed up to three and a half pounds.

Let's not get into a debate what hard and fast rules, if any such rules even exist, dictate what constitutes lite, UL, and SUL. What was considered UL just a few yrs. ago is considered, by some, as simply lite these days. But some packs to consider for someone newly transitioning to lighter wt. and lower volume packs include:

Granite Gear Vapor Trail
    Six Moon Designs Comet and Starlite
    Lightwave Wildtrek
    Gregory Z packs
    Osprey Exos
    GoLite Jam 2 and Pinnacle
    Gossamer Gear Mariposa and Mariposa Plus
    ULA Conduit and Catalyst
    I'm not familar with Moonbow packs

And, I'm sure I'm leaving out other packs that U would find suitable, but I think these packs R a great place to start. U should find something in this list with the right combination of features to suit YOUR YOUR YOUR needs and hiking style. Happy Hiking!!!

Hike smarter, not harder.

The new Osprey Exos 58 looks cool, but it might br a little heavy @ 2#.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Slow, excuse me for asking, but have you thru-hiked?

If so, what did you use?

Personally, I think it'd be very difficult for most folks to thru in a pack that was smaller than 3000 cubes, and there are very few packs weighing a pound that offer ANYTHING in terms of frame, support, hip belts, etc.

NatureJunkie:

The most popular packs this past year on the Trail were Osprey, Granite Gear, Go-Lite, ULA and Gregory, and virtually NONE of them were less than 3000 inches or less than a pound. Most of them were between 3200 and 4000 ounces, and most weighed up to three and a half pounds.
    Jack no thru.
    NOT one of those packs are UL in this day.

I have a atmos 50 @3000 and is a good pack 3lb...But my Exodus smokes it in carry and wt @11oz.

When we talk UL,the big 4 should be under 5lb....so you dont need a frame.Remember you are out 4 day's at a time, and if your ul you pack lite.

Jack you got as much miles as all i'm sure and i respect that highly...but this is UL not the common walkers.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++