WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cheapest Way To Get Home From Maine

I plan on doing a Thru Hike next summer and was wonder what would be the cheapest way to get from Millinocket, back home to South Carolina?

Cheapest way of course, would be to hitch a ride. Be it a truckstop or stick your thumb out. Free is better than cheap.

Possibly you would meet folks on the trail who would take you part way and maybe you could do a driveaway. I don't know how popular they are anymore.

There's always Greyhound. (not very pleasant though)(i'd sooner hitch than ride the "dog")

I have bought cars already after a thru to get home, hitched, rode Greyhound, had my car stashed at my sister's house in Maine, flown, and ridden with friends I met on the trail or had friends pick me up.

Or, you might just prefer to walk.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

greyhound would be the cheapest, but would be miserable. the train is nice and can take you from portland to columbia.

Turn around and hike.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

If you buy a plane ticket far enough ahead of time, you will be glad to fly out of Bangor to home.

Quote Originally Posted by ac2rivers View Post
    I plan on doing a Thru Hike next summer and was wonder what would be the cheapest way to get from Millinocket, back home to South Carolina?
    to Whiteblaze!
    Your finish at Katahdin is many months away, don't waste too much energy worrying about that now. Many finishing thrus hook up at Baxter for rides out to Medway (bus), to Bangor (airport), to Portland (train), or all the way home (new friends).
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ac2rivers View Post
    Do like my daughter did and get your dad to pick you up and drive you home. It was free (for her).

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

All good advice above.

Do NOT take the Greyhound. I recently went from Washington DC to Atlanta by bus (Amtrak messed up my train reservation). I will NEVER do this again. The idea of going from Maine to SC by bus is too awful to contemplate.

If you don't find a ride, then I'd look at two options:

*Book a cheap flight from Bangor, or better yet, Portland or Boston

*Failing that, take the train. If memory serves, there's one that goes to
    Spartanburg.

Oh, and a third and perhaps best option is find another hiker ahead of time who needs to go south, and then rent a car and split the rental and gas costs.

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    All good advice above.

*Book a cheap flight from Bangor, or better yet, Portland or Boston
    This begs the question:

Which airlines do those that have gone before us recommend out of Bangor or Portland (Boston is too far away IMHO)?
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFreq View Post
    This begs the question:

Which airlines do those that have gone before us recommend out of Bangor or Portland (Boston is too far away IMHO)?
    Yea but you can get there by Concord Trailways. It aint that long of a ride. Might be cheaper to go from Boston.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    to Whiteblaze!
    Your finish at Katahdin is many months away, don't waste too much energy worrying about that now. Many finishing thrus hook up at Baxter for rides out to Medway (bus), to Bangor (airport), to Portland (train), or all the way home (new friends).
    ditto, when u make it. getting home be will be easy
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

I booked a flight through Jet Blue from Portland and they screwed us. They canceled our flight and did nothing to help us. They called our contact number to let us know that it was canceled after the time that the flight was supposed to take off. We were able to get home with Continental and even got to a closer airport. I have traveled a number of times with Continental and they have always worked with me.

2010 complete

When do you plan on finishing? I plan to do 115 miles in maine next July or August, including Monson. I will be driving from NC and I live 2 hours from Columbia.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    When do you plan on finishing? I plan to do 115 miles in maine next July or August, including Monson. I will be driving from NC and I live 2 hours from Columbia.
    July is too early for most thru hikers.

But late August might work, though late September is when most finish.

However, don't worry too much. One can always get home. BTW I've never had a totally miserable Greyhound -- or Concord Trailways (same company) -- bus trip.

Buses are slow. But cheap -- and energy responsible. Just relax and enjoy.

Weary

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I've planned a "leave of absence" from March 1st to Sept. 1st.....that's my window, although I may be able to stretch it to the Labor Day weekend (Sept. 7th). Come to think of it I haven't finalized my actual dates with my employer, yet. Sept. 7th it is!

But to answer your question I am shooting for ending in late August.

And the more I look at the previous posts in this thread I think I'll just hike and when it comes to getting home I'll just "play it by ear".
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

And the more I look at the previous posts in this thread I think I'll just hike and when it comes to getting home I'll just "play it by ear".
    Good move. Over-planning will take away from the adventure.

Journal Entries
    Images

I liked my last recent experience this year by train to Maine for Hiking... Very Cool.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

The light at the end of the tunnel? ME! TunnelvisionGAME09's Avatar
    Images

This begs the question:

I've had the best luck with United out of Portland. Of course, in another years time there is no telling what airlines will be the best to use.

Haven't flown out of Bangor as prices tend to be out of my budget.

Not many options for flying out of Bangor and they are expensive. Recently, a round trip ticket to NC from bangor was $1,200 versus $400 out of Portland. Most predictions are that Bangor will be losing flights and Portland will be gaining over the next year.

I don't know the last time Weary did it, but there is NOTHING remotely relaxing or enjoyable about long-distance bus travel. If you've ever wondered what the ninth circle of hell is like, I suggest you try the Richmond Greyhound station between 2:30 and 5:00 in the morning. I wouldn't wish this on a southbounder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++