WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Half way point for Maryland Challenge?

My friend and I are hoping to do the Maryland Challenge in two parts over a couple weekeds--mainly because I don't do mornings well, the days are getting shorter, and we're trying to avoid having to drag slepping gear along--and we're trying trying to figure out where to park our car at approximately the halfway point. Does anyone have suggestions on a good mid-way point and approximately how far it is to the closest end of the MD AT (i.e. 15, 20, 25 miles)?

Thanks!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Welcome to White Blaze!

It's only known as the Maryland challege if you do from Harpers Ferry to PA in one continuous hike. Other than that it's a section hike of the area, and you'll have a great, relaxing time the way you are planning it.

Maybe halfway at Turners Gap, US 40 just north of the Dahlgren Backpack site- ?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by winthrop4 View Post
    My friend and I are hoping to do the Maryland Challenge in two parts over a couple weekeds--mainly because I don't do mornings well, the days are getting shorter, and we're trying to avoid having to drag slepping gear along--and we're trying trying to figure out where to park our car at approximately the halfway point. Does anyone have suggestions on a good mid-way point and approximately how far it is to the closest end of the MD AT (i.e. 15, 20, 25 miles)?

Thanks!
    The I-70 parking area is roughly halfway. Follow the signs toward Greenbriar State Park/Myersville/Rt. 17 off of I-70.

Images

Yep, either the parking lot on US-40 by Pine Knob, Washington Monument State Park, or Turners Gap (alt US-40).

++ New Posts ++