WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Default AT to Kephart Shelter

I couldn't get reservations for Icewater Spring Shelter. They recommended Kephart shelter which is off the AT about 4 miles. Anyone ever hike down to that shelter? Wondering if it would be easier to hike past Icewater and then take the Dry Sluice Gap trail or take the Sweet Heiffer trail before Icewater...
    Papa John

Take Sweat Heifer down the 3.7 miles then Grassy Branch and Dry Sluice Gap back up to the AT 3.8 miles total. Not a a bad climb at all. kephart shelter is very nice, clean and roomy good water all along route. Sweat heifer can be steep in places. This detour ads about 4.8 miles as opposed to going strait through Icewater.

Images

If I did that, how far back on the trail to pick up those missed miles? I'm trying to pick up some missed stretches here and there.
    Papa John

Quote Originally Posted by papa john View Post
    If I did that, how far back on the trail to pick up those missed miles? I'm trying to pick up some missed stretches here and there.
    Map with mileage:
    http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/natio...ky_trail99.pdf

Images

Thanks, I found my map of the Smokies. Looks like it would be easier to go down and back up the same trail rather than trying to loop back. Another thing I will try to do is to check back periodically and see if a slot opens up at Icewater.
    Papa John

Thanks, I found my map of the Smokies. Looks like it would be easier to go down and back up the same trail rather than trying to loop back. Another thing I will try to do is to check back periodically and see if a slot opens up at Icewater.
    ~2300' elevation drop from AT to shelter.

Images

Are you just doing an overnighter? If so park your car eight miles down from Newfound gap on the NC side at the Kephart Prong trail sign on your left. From there walk across the bridge and follow the stream up the trail just over two miles and your there, nice hike and not that much of elevation gain.

Images

No, am hiking from CD to Hot Springs.
    Papa John

tent?

Images

No, I will be taking a tarp only. If I thought I could get away with stealth camping, I would be taking a hammock.
    Papa John

I couldn't get reservations for Icewater Spring Shelter. They recommended Kephart shelter which is off the AT about 4 miles. Anyone ever hike down to that shelter? Wondering if it would be easier to hike past Icewater and then take the Dry Sluice Gap trail or take the Sweet Heiffer trail before Icewater...
    If your goal is to cover every foot of the AT, it would be easier to take the Dry Sluice Gap route. The climp back up is somewhat reduced, plus you will be almost three miles further "down the trail" when you get back to the AT.

Have you noticed that Mt. Collins shelter is currently closed?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    If your goal is to cover every foot of the AT, it would be easier to take the Dry Sluice Gap route. The climp back up is somewhat reduced, plus you will be almost three miles further "down the trail" when you get back to the AT.

Have you noticed that Mt. Collins shelter is currently closed?
    Yes, I asked about Mt Collins when I was on the phone with them.

I am thinking I will do one of the following:

1. Call back closer to departure and see if anything has opened up at Icewater.
    2. See if Pecks has an opening and just do a very long day.
    3. Delay the trip to after the election and start on a non-weekend day.

Hiking nearly 8 miles just to get to a shelter that isn't on the trail is not very appealing.

Thanks for all the responses.
    Papa John

Images

Is Pecks Corner too far a haul for you? Looks like 18.1 from CD.

Or just show up at Icewater Spring and see if there is a space.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Papa john,

For the purpose of complying with the NPS regualtions, become a thru-hiker. At least until you get past Icewater Springs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Is Pecks Corner too far a haul for you? Looks like 18.1 from CD.

Or just show up at Icewater Spring and see if there is a space.
    That's about right, but it is mostly down hill, kinda like me.... I may do that, just get there and see what happens. I don't really want to tent there as they told me there is bear activity at that shelter.

For the purpose of complying with the NPS regualtions, become a thru-hiker. At least until you get past Icewater Springs.
    I thought about that, but can't figure out a way to get my permit in the box on the days that I *should have* been in the park.
    Papa John

I thought about that, but can't figure out a way to get my permit in the box on the days that I *should have* been in the park.
    They will never know. The "system" just isn't that well-oiled. Plus, there is a very high no-show rate at the shelters. It's rare that everyone with a reservation actually shows up.

I just did Newfound Gap to Icewater Spring Shelter, side trip to Mount Kephart and back to the Gap Saturday. Was beautiful until I climbed up the side of Kephart/Ambler and it became totally fogged in. There were roughtly 2.9 million people at Newfound Gap.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    I just did Newfound Gap to Icewater Spring Shelter, side trip to Mount Kephart and back to the Gap Saturday. Was beautiful until I climbed up the side of Kephart/Ambler and it became totally fogged in. There were roughtly 2.9 million people at Newfound Gap.
    How were the leaves? I am doing The Bunion on 10/25 and I am thinking I might miss the peak leaves. I mean, the hike and the view will be worth it, but the leaves would be a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    How were the leaves? I am doing The Bunion on 10/25 and I am thinking I might miss the peak leaves. I mean, the hike and the view will be worth it, but the leaves would be a nice touch.
    Leaves will probably peak over the next week or so at the highest elevations. Lots of yellows and oranges already highly visible. Much further down the mountain, probably 2 weeks to peak.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

++ New Posts ++