WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

Default Class of 2011

I don't want to be a procrastinator so I'm starting this thread on this date (10/13/2008). Unitl 04/01/2011 it is 900 days. Has anyone started making plans for a THRU-HIKE for 2011?
    I'd like to hear from prospective '011ers'.

Default Darn! I wanted to be first!

I planned to start this thread next March - oh well.
    I hope to start my thru on March 15, 2011. My youngest daughter graduates from college in 2010, so the financial pressures should ease up a little. I also work in the education industry, so I won't be able to leave my job until June, too late to start a NOBO. Hence the 2011 starting date.

Palmer

Default I'm Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    I planned to start this thread next March - oh well.
    I hope to start my thru on March 15, 2011. My youngest daughter graduates from college in 2010, so the financial pressures should ease up a little. I also work in the education industry, so I won't be able to leave my job until June, too late to start a NOBO. Hence the 2011 starting date.

Palmer
    Sorry Palmer. Since I don't see the possilbilty of being finanically stable for my planned THUR in '010', I thought: "What The Hey! Let's shoot for '011'.

to the GREAT CLASS OF 2011!!
    Good Luck with your planning.

Gorp-Gobbler

Hey Gorp,

I see you're a youngster, so I guess you'll be leaving me in your dust. Are you starting from Springer? Any thoughts about starting on the Pinhoti? Do you have any sense of how long you'll take to finish? I've thought about getting to the top of Kathadin on October 7, which will be my 60th birthday.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Way cool.
    Planning a SOBO, tentative June 9th departure depending on weather in ME and snow on the big K, among other things.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I am looking to do my thru in 2011. I would gladly go tomorrow but I need to complete school which should be March 2011. As I am going to be completing my student teaching then (if all goes as planned) it would be as good a time as ever as I will be between jobs anyhow.

Looking forward to talking with folks later.

Default Welcome Aboard

Quote Originally Posted by Greb View Post
    I am looking to do my thru in 2011. I would gladly go tomorrow but I need to complete school which should be March 2011. As I am going to be completing my student teaching then (if all goes as planned) it would be as good a time as ever as I will be between jobs anyhow.

Looking forward to talking with folks later.
    Congrats Greb on finishing your student teaching and welcome to the Class of 2011.
    Feel free to get me a holler anytime.
    Hopefully we'll meet on the trail some place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post
    I don't want to be a procrastinator so I'm starting this thread on this date (10/13/2008). Unitl 04/01/2011 it is 900 days. Has anyone started making plans for a THRU-HIKE for 2011?
    I'd like to hear from prospective '011ers'.
    I plan on starting my thru-hike on or about 2/14/11 from Flagg Mt. on the Pinhoti. I hope they have more of the trail routed off the road by then. I orginally was shooting for 2010, but I won't be finished with grad school by then. I would interested in talkng to anyone doing a NOBO, especially if the are doing the Pinhoti-AT. To answer your question, I've started replacing equipment (lighter/new) and I keep checking Campmor for dehydrated foods that I want to bring. Otherwise, Ive made plans and have a countdown going for when I can begin implementing my plans. Hope to see you on the trail.

Gorp-Gobbler- Starting this thread sounds like the nail is in the coffin for you and 2010. I understand. You need to do what is right and affordable for you. Who knows? The way the stock market is going I might have to postpone as well.
    You are never too old.

Ya Chenango I feel it was the only logical thing to do. I hated to admit that there was no way I could make it in 010'. Granted, I believe my creditors will be all paid off by then, but I forgot about saving the money that I'd need for the actual hike.
    I'd like to have anywhere from $4000 to $4500 saved for the trip.
    I don't want to worry about a single thing that involves money while on the trail.
    I will be needing a new lighter weight tent, a stove, water filter and perhaps the lighter weight titanium cook pots.
    Hey we can still communicate and perhaps get together for some weekend hikes, say halfway between here and there. Okay?
    I might even hit the lottery and make it anyhoo!!!
    Gorp-Gobbler

Default I'm A Former Buckeye

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
    I plan on starting my thru-hike on or about 2/14/11 from Flagg Mt. on the Pinhoti. I hope they have more of the trail routed off the road by then. I orginally was shooting for 2010, but I won't be finished with grad school by then. I would interested in talkng to anyone doing a NOBO, especially if the are doing the Pinhoti-AT. To answer your question, I've started replacing equipment (lighter/new) and I keep checking Campmor for dehydrated foods that I want to bring. Otherwise, Ive made plans and have a countdown going for when I can begin implementing my plans. Hope to see you on the trail.
    Hey Rockhead: I never gave much thought of starting on the Pinhoti, but that might be something worth checking into. Since I'll be quitting by job anyway to start hiking in April, I may quit earlier so I can start on this trail.
    Let me check into it a little bit further and we'll be in touch.
    (My hometown was Ridgeway, OH which is just South of Kenton, which is South of Findlay).
    Later On.

Gorp-Gobbler

I'm starting at Springer in March of 2011 I can't wait. I would go earlier but 1. I need to save up money, and 2. Mom won't let me leave until I'm 18

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DylanD View Post
    I'm starting at Springer in March of 2011 I can't wait. I would go earlier but 1. I need to save up money, and 2. Mom won't let me leave until I'm 18

Tell your mom to go with you.

(I only say this because Paul Bunyan was 16 when we went in '07)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post

Good idea Blissful. You've heard or read the slogan "Take A Kid Fishing"

How about "Take A Parent Backpacking".

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post

She would if she could (she used to LOVE hiking) but she can't. She developed Fibromyalgia a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanD View Post
    She would if she could (she used to LOVE hiking) but she can't. She developed Fibromyalgia a few years ago.
    I'm sorry. I will keep her in my prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post
    I'm sorry. I will keep her in my prayers.
    Thanks

Default Pinhoti ?

Hey Palmer were you planning on starting on the Pinhoti?

I'm checking into this possilbilty.

looking to start in may 2011 nobo, would start sooner but wont be out of college until than, any other late starters?

Quote Originally Posted by Phipps023 View Post
    looking to start in may 2011 nobo, would start sooner but wont be out of college until than, any other late starters?
    Here Here.
    Tentatively set for a 2011 NOBO. I'm thinking a fairly late start (Possibly Late April / Early May). I happen to turn 30 in April and I can't think of a better Birthday present to myself than starting a thru. Time frame for a start will depend entirely when I can finagle a four to five month sabbatical from the firm.

To Do List:
    1. Get Approval from the Mrs.
    2. Quit Meaningless Job or alternatively secure a Sabbatical Leave.
    3. Save Some Coin. (perhaps switch 2 and 3 , perhaps not)
    4. Go Hike!

The Fact that there is already a thread on this is very, very cool. 2011 will be here before you know it.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++