WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post
    My job in TN is a sure thing. I'll finish this week up here in IN and will probably go down this weekend, taking just what I need for a weeks work, look for a place to live then come back up here and get all of my stuff.

Now the tough thing I must decide is should I stay with this job until retirement, which could be as long as four years away, or should I work hard at getting all of my debts settled and go ahead with my 2011 Thru-Hike?
    The new job is Great! I might be able to swing a 6 month leave of absense since they are trying to control man-hours. We'll see how things go. I have to work up the nerve to ask the store manager.

Due to a change in my retirement date, a 2010 thru hike is out. I am gald to join you folks out there in 2011.

Let's see. March 15th, 2011 is just a short 536 days from now.

Start counting!
    You are never too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenango View Post
    Due to a change in my retirement date, a 2010 thru hike is out. I am gald to join you folks out there in 2011.

Let's see. March 15th, 2011 is just a short 536 days from now.

Start counting!
    April 1st is just 545 short days away.

We'll be glad to have you Chenango. I hope I have the will power to quit my job and I hope I'm out of debt by then.

count in another ohioan for a nobo starting around april first. looks like i have a buddy coming with me to springer for a few weeks. in the meantime going to be hitting the buckeye trail as much as possible to prep..

Images

Count me in... I posted on another 2011 thread somewhere else on the board today too. I plan on leaving from Springer hopefully March 12, 2011. DH says it's either do it in 2011 before we start having kids, or wait until they've finished college. I think I'll do my hike asap please and thank you!
    "Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet, and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Phipps023 View Post
    looking to start in may 2011 nobo, would start sooner but wont be out of college until than, any other late starters?
    I am looking at doing at May1st /early may start for 2011. I was going to do a 2012 but I think I'll be able to fit it in if I can get going by early may.

I'd say I'll hike with you but I'm pretty slow and will most likely be left in the dust rather quickly.
    21.1% Done

Smile 2011 is it here yet

wow, planning on 2011 for my hike, been waiting for ten years for this date to get here, from high school to military to job, retiring in 2010 and will be apart of 2011 class, spending this next year to refine my gear and to get in better hiking shape, anybody near central WV get in touch with me, gonna do a good bit of hiking in 2010 to get ready. wanna make this a legitimate goal. RDS [email protected]

Default Nobo 2011

Glad to see so many others planning thru hikes in 2011. After a 21 year career with our nations space program and the impending retirement of our Space Shuttles, looks like I'll be out of a job at the end of 2010. I figured now is as good a time as any to take a walk. I'm looking toward a mid March start date. Exact day isn't carved in stone...yet! Slowly accumulating my gear and doing my research. Really got hooked on the trail journals and will probably try to keep one going when I start. To the class of 2011......see you in March!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Glad to see so many others planning thru hikes in 2011. After a 21 year career with our nations space program and the impending retirement of our Space Shuttles, looks like I'll be out of a job at the end of 2010. I figured now is as good a time as any to take a walk. I'm looking toward a mid March start date. Exact day isn't carved in stone...yet! Slowly accumulating my gear and doing my research. Really got hooked on the trail journals and will probably try to keep one going when I start. To the class of 2011......see you in March!
    2011 will be good year!! I retire June 30, 2010. See you out there.
    You are never too old.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 0r-kid View Post
    Count me in... I posted on another 2011 thread somewhere else on the board today too. I plan on leaving from Springer hopefully March 12, 2011. DH says it's either do it in 2011 before we start having kids, or wait until they've finished college. I think I'll do my hike asap please and thank you!

I am starting March 14th. I can't wait. See you out there!!!

Images

yo if your definately 2012 ga-me, then count me in.. Im 2012 as well... Still need a partner!!!

Default Looking for a hiking partner

I have hiked parts of the trail but due to foot problems had to cut my hike short.

I think I have the foot problems solved so I am planning another attempt in April 2011.

I ve completed the Springer Mountain to Hawk Mountain stretch and New Found Gap to Ice Water Spring Shelter in the Smokies.

I live in Florida so the opportunity to train on hills is virtually non-existent, and I'm no spring chicken!

Hey Pete!
    Where in Fl are you? There are 2-4 of us in West Central Fl doing thrus next year.
    For training, I suggest the 'D' loop of Citrus and the Suwanee from Live Oak to White Springs.
    Dee
    healthymom

Good luck to all of you in the Class of 2011 Thru-Hikers.
    It looks like another year is in the forecast for me. I'm back to job hunting due to an unfortunate mistake in TN.
    By the grace of God I may be out on the trail in 2013.

Good luck and please keep in touch with me while you hike YOUR Hike.

Images

Starting June 12, 2011 from Front Royal, VA- hiking north then flying south to hike back to Front Royal. Althoguh I'm getting a late start because of graduating from high school, I can't wait! I've been wanting to do this since my mom told me it went from Georgia to Maine! Plus I live 50-100 yards from the trail and I see all the thru-hikers out there. Hopefully I get to see most of you at one point in time.

white blazes, magic places northernstorm's Avatar

im always looking for others to join. PM me if you would like someone to meet up with at springer.

I see Gorp is back.............
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

!See you all in March!

I am northbound on March 1, 2011
    Going to be freezing! Hope it isn't too bad on me.

Looking to start late March or early April. Wouldn't mind finding a partner for the beginning, but not necessary for the whole trip. Super pumped about this!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++