WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default the doyle hotel question (unanswered)

Hey I looked at thier website and see the daily room charge has since gone up. I was wonderin if anyone knew the monthly charge, or if the even still allow monthly rentals there. Ill proll just end up callin them personally but if anyone who has stayed there on a monthly basis in the past can tell me what they paid so i can compare past and present prices that would be great. thanks guys hike on!

Call Vicki at (717) 834-6789 and you'll have an answer to your question in about 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbx View Post
    Hey I looked at thier website and see the daily room charge has since gone up. I was wonderin if anyone knew the monthly charge, or if the even still allow monthly rentals there. Ill proll just end up callin them personally but if anyone who has stayed there on a monthly basis in the past can tell me what they paid so i can compare past and present prices that would be great. thanks guys hike on!
    why on earth would you want to stay there for more than 1 night let alone a month? seriously

lunchbx didn't ask if anyone liked the place, he didn't ask anyone if they wanted to stay there, he asked a straight forward question. Jack gave him information so that he could find his answer.

The Doyle is a great establishment. Hard working people that go out of their way to provide hikers with a nice experience. They are not a chain, nor are they a hostel. They provide many hikers an opportunity to eat, drink, have a good time and stay overnight if they so desire. The place is old, which adds to the atmosphere. Charging more money may help the owners update the place a little. Let's be a little more supportive of those many many people along the trail that allow many of us to continue to hike. They are by no means trying to rip people off. They are trying to make a living by serving hikers. It is very hard work and it is very hard to make any profit off hikers. Ask the many people that have worked years and years to provide service to hikers. They can tell you how hard it is. The AT would not be the same without The Doyle.

Bilko:

Nice post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
    lunchbx didn't ask if anyone liked the place, he didn't ask anyone if they wanted to stay there, he asked a straight forward question. Jack gave him information so that he could find his answer.

The Doyle is a great establishment. Hard working people that go out of their way to provide hikers with a nice experience. They are not a chain, nor are they a hostel. They provide many hikers an opportunity to eat, drink, have a good time and stay overnight if they so desire. The place is old, which adds to the atmosphere. Charging more money may help the owners update the place a little. Let's be a little more supportive of those many many people along the trail that allow many of us to continue to hike. They are by no means trying to rip people off. They are trying to make a living by serving hikers. It is very hard work and it is very hard to make any profit off hikers. Ask the many people that have worked years and years to provide service to hikers. They can tell you how hard it is. The AT would not be the same without The Doyle.
    you didn't answer lunchbx's question. you're on a tangent.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

with about $2m in renovations the Doyle would be a palace.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

[QUOTE=Bilko;710395The AT would not be the same without The Doyle.[/QUOTE]

Lets not get carried away.

One of the places that stands out the most on my hike is The Doyle. I know its a bit run down but that adds to its draw. Its no comfort inn, but it has beds, really awesome showers, great food and cool people. The At would not be the same with out it. I carried one of the free drink coins all the way and still have it in my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Chaco View Post
    The At would not be the same with out it.
    hotels, motels, hostels and restaurants come and go and are a dime- a- dozen along the AT. i'm pretty sure the AT would be just fine if it closed

Images

i too still have a free drink coin from there...hopefully this market plunge will not effect it's value...what is the dollar to yellow coin trading at these days?

the doyle is great...my concern is what are you going to be doing in duncannon for a month? to me, that sounds like where the trouble begins...

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    with about $2m in renovations the Doyle would be a palace.
    Maybe they can sell themselves to an investment bank, fold the note into about 50 more, and then get some federal buy-out funds!!! We could be living large then!!!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    hotels, motels, hostels and restaurants come and go and are a dime- a- dozen along the AT. i'm pretty sure the AT would be just fine if it closed
    Well, for me Wolf, the AT would not be the same without it

funny how bars and hostels and such are more revered than the actual walking path

Images

funny how bars and hostels and such are more revered than the actual walking path
    HHHhhmmmmmnnn........... Good point.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Thats not true and I didnt say that. I didnt even stay at the doyle, tented at the park. Im just sayin, its a neat stop along the trail.

if it din't serve alcohol and allow smoking there would be no draw. just sayin'

Images

neither would dot's...except for pam-cakes of course...that's my girl!

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

if it din't serve alcohol and allow smoking there would be no draw. just sayin'

I thought Pennsylvania recently outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I thought Pennsylvania recently outlawed smoking in bars and restaurants.
    that would be a great thing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++