WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: When staying at a shelter, which do you prefer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    I agree.
    Actually, its hard to 'volunteer' to help in scouts or other youth groups unless you have a child in it.
    True, but a good idea nevertheless. If someone wants to help the scouts there are jobs available that do not involve the scouts themselves. There are a lot of weird-os out there, and the best way to keep them out is only allow parents of scouters to help out.

Biggest problem I had as a scoutmaster was getting parents to help. Fathers were the worst. In cub scouts many parents treated the scouts as a free baby-sitting service. Often had trouble getting parents to show up to pick up thier kids. Had single moms offering to help, and sometimes took them up on it, but teenage sons of single moms were exactly the boys who would benefit from being around rationale adult men.

Sometimes I think the best thing we did was not the camping, but giving the kids an example of how adult males can behave. Having the boys see good leaders interact with each other at least gave them a peek at how it can be done. Most did not get it at home.
    Frosty

Geezer

To get back on topic, I have to say that I have never stayed in a shelter without a snorer. Even when I was alone in the shelter.
    Frosty

I ran across a group of boyscouts that were run by two ex thru-hikers and they were great. Very respectful, clean and quiet and more than willing to share their extra food. So to generalize about Boy Scouts is not so cool in my books.

Plus, one guy I met on the trail when he was low on food when he ran across a Boy Scout group and the groups always gave him stuff without fail. Not saying it was right...but the groups were generous.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++