WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: When staying at a shelter, which do you prefer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Staying at a Shelter

When you come to stop for the night at a shelter. Where do you put up for the night?
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Why not have the option: Stay at the shelter regardless of company? Maybe I would be the only person to vote for that one.

i'm with you on that one, chris.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chris
    Why not have the option: Stay at the shelter regardless of company? Maybe I would be the only person to vote for that one.
    I would have voted for that. But for the fact that I snore lots and loud
    So, I sleep at the nest avalable tent site, just out of courtesy to others.

Doctari.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default shelter occupants

It is determined by the company at the shelter if I will stay anywhere near there. If there are partiers or large groups -NO WAY! Snorers are nothing compared to partiers. The partiers ruin it for all of us.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Journal Entries
    Images

Default shelter vs tenting

i agree CRASH!

party-hikers can turn a night into the "night from hell!"

i usually stay in shelters if they aren't overflowing....but always taking a tent....i have the option to tent close-by. (as Jigsaw & I did on our first night on the trail last year April 22 2003,....Standing Indian shelter was packed...so we tented out back along with a few more).

i enjoy meeting "interesting" people on the trail...its part of the trail experience...but i can do without loud, obnoxious party-hikers.

see ya'll out there in 2004!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Registered Troll
    Images

There's nothing better than staying at a shelter with a bunch of other hikers and lighting up some good pot! Boy Scouts though, I can do without those.

Default Scouts

Quote Originally Posted by Pothead
    There's nothing better than staying at a shelter with a bunch of other hikers and lighting up some good pot! Boy Scouts though, I can do without those.
    Scouts usually come with extra food. Thru-hikers are more than willing to share their hospitality with them.

Registered Troll
    Images

I don't like Scouts because of their littering and keeping you up past midnight with their screaming.

I don't like Scouts because of their littering and keeping you up past midnight with their screaming.
    Generalizing and saying that all scouts are like that is not fair to the boys who are not screaming and practice LNT

BSA all the way

I'm unique, just like everyone else........ One Leg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by okpik
    Generalizing and saying that all scouts are like that is not fair to the boys who are not screaming and practice LNT

BSA all the way

Yeah, kind of like saying that folks who smoke pot are all like Cheech & Chong (Sorry, absolutely could not resist....I repent....)

The youths in Scouting are a reflection of their leaders -- they will do what the leaders allow, and their knowledge/skill in the outdoors is derived from what they are taught by their leaders.

Knowledgeable adult leaders are difficult to come by and most of the volunteers make due as best they can, seeking training and knowledge -- but sadly knowledgeable trainers are also difficult to come by and have only just so much time to donate. And thus you end up with troops who are not as LNT conscious or as knowledgeable of proper trail etiquette as one might wish.

Pothead: What have you done lately to encourage and teach proper outdoors/trail etiquette and skills to youth? What have you done (ever) to help teach the volunteer leaders so that they might pass on that knowledge to the boys?

Perhaps instead of sitting there complainging, you ought to get involved. You can make a difference if you choose to do so, a difference which will have a positive impact on many people's lives.

Sadly though, too many people find it easier to just sit back and complain.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by deeddawg
    What have you done lately to encourage and teach proper outdoors/trail etiquette and skills to youth? What have you done (ever) to help teach the volunteer leaders so that they might pass on that knowledge to the boys?
    you ought to get involved. You can make a difference if you choose to do so, a difference which will have a positive impact on many people's lives.
    I agree.
    Actually, its hard to 'volunteer' to help in scouts or other youth groups unless you have a child in it. Most will treat you like m. jaxson, unfortunately. As a former Eagle Scout and Explorer, I would like to assist but there are a lot of parents/leaders that I probably will call division of youth and family services to have locked up.

"the apple does not fall far from the tree". So we need to teach the parents and leaders first. Too many youth groups do not make sure the leaders are really trained.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    I agree.
    Actually, its hard to 'volunteer' to help in scouts or other youth groups unless you have a child in it. Most will treat you like m. jaxson, unfortunately.
    Perhaps -- certainly any Council would more heavily scrutinize any individual without kids currently or previously in Scouting and who have no Scouting background of their own. It may be that some Councils may even blow off offers from such people -- which would be truly sad.

Yet I think that a person who truly wants to help can find a place to do so -- for one thing the leaders need training, and I would be truly surprised if any Council or District Training Commissioner would turn down a knowledgable person's offer to assist with Leader training exercises.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by deeddawg
    It may be that some Councils may even blow off offers from such people -- which would be truly sad.
    No, it would not be sad at all. It would be very wise. As a mother, I would want Councils to check the background very carefully. Someone with no children, no background with scouts, not a previous scout should, and I hope would, come under diligent scrutiny.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Crash, I too am and Eagle Scout, with a daughter only so I have been reluctant to get back into Scouting to help. I have friends who sons are in Scout and they have threatened to recruit me for their troop.

Scouting does truly build character, and teaches a lot of life's lessons. I learned that together we culd accomplish things we would have never thought possible. The worst trips we had were the ones we all laugh about when we get together now. Some kids would never make it into the woods if it weren't for Scouts.

Go BSA! they voted to keep their morals and keep their consitutional rights when it came to their scout leaders - yeah! And look, all that funding didn't just disappear others stepped up to the plate in many ways! It's always good to stand up for what's right and good, it comes back to you Just ilke the nice things BS do for folks and communities. Careful BSA folks, they'll bash you on here so fast it isn't funny, especially if you stand for something positive or decent.

As for keeping others up late.......................well. Can happen with anybody and is just rude no matter who's doing it. Especially folks who loudly wander in well past dark and make no attempt to settle in quietly.
    For with God, nothing is impossible! Luke 1:37

I got to hand it to you Eya, no one but you could turn a sweet post about scouting to moralistic nastyness.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Default Sign the journal, cook if you like,water up and move on

Hammocks are way more comfortable. Can be hung virtually anywhere. are definiately least of the LNT options....No snorers....no parties....no meeces...no smoke... Ahhhh the peace of getting away and outdoors.

God bless the BSA.....30+ years a scout or scouter....many of us got our start outdoors courtesy of Baden Powell.... thanks to all the volenteers that make BSA work.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Default Back on Topic

Getting back to the original question, my option isn't on there. I found it nice to stay in the shelter area, but not the shelter. My tent got me a little personal space and night without any mice or bugs, but being next to the shelter there was a usually a good water source and a reasonable chance of finding someone to chat with over dinner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++