WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default how long did it take you to plan for your thru-hike?

Just a general discussion question...What is the longest /shortest ammount of time that you have allowed yourself for planning your thru hike?

I have been planning for my through since 2007...i leave Mar of 2009. Planning for me constitutes getting to know my gear, the trail, and shuffling through lots of whiteblaze articles on various topics.
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

When I hit the trail the first week in March it will be about 3 years.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Quote Originally Posted by brightylow View Post
    Just a general discussion question...What is the longest /shortest ammount of time that you have allowed yourself for planning your thru hike?
    i had the idea to hike the AT in july and left the following march. so 8 months. actual planning only took a week or so

Images

Since I was 10, I'm 54 now.

I can retire in 9 years.

I will likely hold out the 2 more years for full benifits from SSI, if it still exists.

You do the math

SIGH!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Two weeks, at night, while I worked out my two weeks notice. Pre internet. And that was really more time than I needed.

Images

haven't thru hiked, but have done several long hikes and it takes me about a week to get everything straight, mostly travel arrangements.

Been dreaming since i was 12, planing since this year, I'm leaving in March of 2011. So, serious planning will take 3 years. I probably don't need that much time, but all I can do is plan right now. Mom won't let me go till I'm 18 I need to save up money anyway.

It's been a thought in my mind for many years, but one day it just hit me about a few months before I retired from the Navy. That was about 1 year before I hit the trail (March 2006), but I really didn't spend that much time planning; most my planning and preparations was done after I got back to my home in Florida -- which I'd been renting out for about 15 years -- around December 2005.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

30 years.

Actual planning as in gear, food, reading, etc. two years.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Stir Fry

I hiked the 100 mile wilderness in Me when I was !8, I turned 50 2 weeks ago. I got the bug then. Started planing and learning again in 2000. I have done 50-60 mile hikes each year and have gradualy gotten the weight of my pack down. 60 lb. in 2000 for a five day hike. 35 lb. for the same distance in 2008, most of the loss is thanke to WB. I retire in fall of 2013 and plane to through in 2014.

Yeti GAME 08 Team Deutschemark smaaax's Avatar

Found out about the trail 5 months before I left. Decided to go for sure 2 weeks before I left. You don't need a ton of planning, some people plan way too much IMHO.

i have been planning for about a year. Not because i need that much time but ever since i got the idea, i havent been able to get it out of my head, if i am not at work, i am in school, if im not in classes i am on white blaze...i wish i could go on the trail in 2009 but my parents want me to finish my degree first. I guess its not too bad because my degree is outdoor education so i am just taking fun classes like kayaking and outdoor living skills anyways.

Stir Fry

Quote Originally Posted by m0rpheu5 View Post
    i have been planning for about a year. Not because i need that much time but ever since i got the idea, i havent been able to get it out of my head, if i am not at work, i am in school, if im not in classes i am on white blaze...i wish i could go on the trail in 2009 but my parents want me to finish my degree first. I guess its not too bad because my degree is outdoor education so i am just taking fun classes like kayaking and outdoor living skills anyways.
    Some schools will give you credits for a through hike, you will have to keep a jurnal and do a paper. You may get as many as 12 credit hr.

ill have to look into that

Images

Started talking about it in 2003. Seriously started planning for it in 2005. Started March 15 2007. Ended one week later.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Smile

Meet some people thru hiking at tricorner shelter in GSMNP. 18 days later I had quit my job and was on the AT. An adventure had been in my blood for several years. This was 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by traftonm View Post
    Some schools will give you credits for a through hike, you will have to keep a jurnal and do a paper. You may get as many as 12 credit hr.
    Wow, is a thruhike deductable as an educational expense? I may want to go back to school.

Quote Originally Posted by smaaax View Post
    Found out about the trail 5 months before I left. Decided to go for sure 2 weeks before I left. You don't need a ton of planning, some people plan way too much IMHO.
    10-4 there for sure. the only real planning i did was picking the day to leave and travel arrangements to georgia. it's just walkin'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    10-4 there for sure. the only real planning i did was picking the day to leave and travel arrangements to georgia. it's just walkin'
    Well, some of us had a house to sell, things to get rid of, things to store, bills to keep paying, leave of absence to arrange for, health insurance to buy, pets to be cared for..............it's not that easy for everyone. But getting all of that done made it extremely easy for us to end our hike and take off on a 3 month, 14000 mile road trip to Alaska and back.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++