WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default PBS Alaska Special

Anyone remember the PBS special about that hardcase old man who built his cabin in Alaska and lived alone there? Now there's sweat equity and inspiration.

I used an alaska mill a carpenter pal had to side some timbers to 10x10 and got some fine flitch sawn boards clear of the heartwood. In about 10 hours of sawing and setup I had about 3 grand worth of wood ready to dry and about 100 episodes of being scared $hitless.

As my first post here on WB I'd like to offer the youtube link to Dick Proenneke. I could watch this again and again. Amazing guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfB6oJ55wM

Quote Originally Posted by McCulloch View Post
    As my first post here on WB I'd like to offer the youtube link to Dick Proenneke. I could watch this again and again. Amazing guy.

Exactly! Welcome and great post!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by McCulloch View Post

That was great. Welcome
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    Go read the book “Rich Dad Poor Dad” and it will open your eyes as to what an investment is and isn’t.
    Harrumph!!!
    I've read RDPD and one of Kiyasakis points (sp?) is that with Real estate, you can insure against loss. Try doing that with a stock or bond.
    He makes it very clear that real estate is a wonderful way to make money as an one investment strategy within a broad portfolio.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    ...The Maine shelter directions envision cutting logs for the construction. Usually trees are more valuable on your land as trees, not as building materials. Instead, look for a small custom mill in your area and have it produce some rough sawn timbers instead. MATC used rough sawn timbers when it built the new shelters at Horns Pond on Bigelow.

Weary
    I agree that, for the money, going to your local sawmill for rough-cut timbers and lumber makes a lot of sense. You'll want smooth-milled lumber for the flooring, but the rest of the structure could be made from rough-cut stuff. If you want smooth interior walls, you could ask for "smooth-one-side" lumber, and turn the smooth side facing in.

A couple of years ago, we had to "re-build" the privy at the Rausch Gap shelter here in Pa. The siding was purchased from a local sawmill in wide widths. We spent a few mornings running the boards through a table saw to get the widths we wanted, and finished the structure with a vertical "board-and-batten" technique. The rough lumber gives the structure a "rustic" look, is cost LOTS less than lumber from one of the chain stores, and because it was purchased locally, we helped to keep a local guy in business. (If I did this correctly, there should be a picture of the finished privy showing the siding technique.)

BTW, building with logs is something that you don't want to try unless you have LOTS of time, and lots of help! Even the smaller diameter logs are tough to move around without help.
    Last edited by shelterbuilder; 10-19-2008 at 21:22. Reason: thought of something else to say!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Sounds like a great idea, and good way to get to 'know' the land, maybe even before you build. Tree houses are pretty cool, and today I came across this interesting link for hanging houses made of wood.....http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/07/25/...eres-in-trees/
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Thanks for the advice - on the shelter design as well as the economics and investment strategy of home ownership.

I'm still building a shelter - a simple one and I'm really in love with that one log out front, a little distance from the sleep floor, where a person can rest a muddy, wet hiking boot. Thanks for the design and construction tidbits and links. I'm gonna look for reclaimed wood (be eco minded if I can).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    Yo TexasGirl,

check this out: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~aja39/hiker.htm
    this was my design for the same project- it would have been cold, dark and wet...

My father built a shelter type structure on his property in a hidden location. sort of a summer sleeping porch.

don't get caught up in convention. Stay away from standards and proportions that are used in house construction.

don't be afraid of short walls, low ceilings, etc. These are the features that make that kind of shelter comfortable and reassuring

Images

If you want and you have some time to get it together, I might even be willing to draw plans for you.

You'd have to promise to send me lots of pictures of course...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++