WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Default Dehydrator Recommendations?

I bought a Ronco 5 dehydrator the other day at Target, opened it up, and it was a box full of smashed plastic, and the bottom piece was nothing more than a single heating element, No Fan. Cheap Crap.

I've checked most stores in my area, they don't have any dehydrators... So I'm forced to order online.

Does anybody have any experience with certain dehydrators? Pros/Cons? Do they have fruit-leather capabilities? etc etc...
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Pricey, but worth every penny... Excalibur http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

If you are going to be doing this on a regular basis, I highly recommend this company.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Pricey, but worth every penny... Excalibur http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

If you are going to be doing this on a regular basis, I highly recommend this company.
    Second that. There are some things you should not buy in a department store.

Images

I've used this dehydrator for several years.
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=14099344

The Nesco mentioned above is a very affordable work horse. You can find great deals on Amazon for them. They run $45-75 or so.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Journal Entries
    Images

I bought one at the local Walmart. Wow, it works great. I especially like dehey apples. Yummmmm. I am sure you could spend more on one. But this one has at least 6 trays, fan, heater and etc., etc. Pretty neat. I have used the food I have prepared on it for many hikes and it still runs great.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

I just made some jerky in the oven today...super easy and really tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by bredler View Post
    I just made some jerky in the oven today...super easy and really tasty.
    How long did it take? Jerky from a stove or dehydrator tastes the same to me, but (at least in my case) the dehydrator uses much less energy. A fan is crucial for a good dehydrator, the faster you can get the moist air away from the food the quicker it dries. My oven acts like a sauna because the moist air is not forced out; cracking the stove door open helps, but then the iron is always getting juice (electricity) because cool air continually enters the stove.

I have a nesco. It s great! expandible also.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Just for the record, I own a cheap dehydrator, (like the Ronco) which has the single element.

Mine must be made of better plastic because it hasn't broken during the twenty years I've had it.

I know Sarbar says the Nesco is much more capable I respect her opinion. It must be grand.

I can only say that mine has successfully dehydrated my meals for three weeks of hiking in the last few years. You do have to fuss with the vents and it normally takes overnight to "get 'er done". But, "get er done" it does.

Grinder

If you are still looking for cheap but very efficient and useable check SEARS. They actually have a decent selection of medium priced to expensive. I just purchased one for my son a month ago...don't remember the brand but it was a $79 unit with a dual element and fan on sale for $29! Go online...my local SEARS had nothing in stock.

geek

It used to be the Ronco ones were not bad - but yeah past 10 years they became awful. I have had people email me and talk about how the food never dried - just got moldy sitting on the trays

My first dehydrator was a single setting one - it blasted the heat out without a circulating fan. It worked but hoo, did I have to pay attention and move trays around hourly so everything got done.

Having temp settings and a fan are worth the extra few dollars on new machines

My other dehydrator is a L'EQUIP one. It is on the price level as say an Excalibur. It has computer controlled drying sensors. Is it overkill? Pretty much....but it is so shiny and pretty
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    I've used this dehydrator for several years.
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=14099344
    I see a similar model and price at Campmor. My dehydrator must be the old version; their trays fit, but my fan and heater are on the bottom. As long as I was ignorant, mine was working just fine. Is there a significant advantage to having the heat and blower elements on the top?

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    I see a similar model and price at Campmor. My dehydrator must be the old version; their trays fit, but my fan and heater are on the bottom. As long as I was ignorant, mine was working just fine. Is there a significant advantage to having the heat and blower elements on the top?
    actually no. the fan will circulate and heat naturally rises.

geek

Another vote for the Excalibur (I have the 5-tray model). Pricey, but worth it to me. I buy fruit when it's on sale and put up batches, then stockpile them in the freezer for the next hike. I also dehydrate complete meals, fruit rollups, and beef jerky. Not to mention "sun"-dried tomatoes from the garden.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Just to save people some time, I went to the following stores with no avail:

Target : Only had the Ronco 5 mentioned above
    Walmart : None
    Home Depot : None
    Linens n Things : None
    Bed Bath and Beyond : None
    Marshalls Home Goods : None
    Le Gourmet Chef Outlet : None

Looks like i'll have to order it online, or pay 60% markup on one in a specialty store.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    Looks like i'll have to order it online, or pay 60% markup on one in a specialty store.

Target and Walmart offer dehydrators in their online sales. I didn't check the others you mentioned. Some of the big retailers offer free shipping if you order and pick up at your local store.

I've had about every model made,including oven and solar. Nothing beats The Excalibur. I got it for about 1/2 price on E-Bay. Someone had got it as a gift tried it once! If you have a local trade magazine (in Maine it's called Uncle Henry's, in Virginia Trader Times) Place an ad saying what you need. Good Luck

I also have the Nesco American Harvest dehydrator from Bed and Bath. It came with 1 fruit leather tray but you can get additional brand new ones very cheaply on ebay. It has 4 trays but can easily accomodate more. I got mine at B&B for $50.
    The physician heals, nature makes well

Images

I have an American Harvest and use it a lot. It's paid for itself.
    I used my first one to death and the newer one has the fan and heating element on the top.

I like beef jerky and this dehydrator works great.

The solid tray inserts are good for drying salsa and pasta sauces..
    It's pretty simple to put together a dehydrated meal that weighs very little. Some boiling water and a good soak brings most dried foods back to life and they taste good.

A vacuum sealer and a dehydrator are a great pair of kitchen gadgits for backpackers.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++