WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: good hike in NC

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

Default good hike in NC

Hey guys im looking for a good 25-35 mile hike in NC or southern VA, to take my 55 yoa father, who has never done any backpacking. My thoughts were Davenport Gap to Hot Springs for about 34 miles or VA 603 to Damascus for about 40 miles. Anyone have any better trips, ones with great views and not to tough.

Thanks

LB
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Images

The Roan

Images

after going back and looking at it, I think Grayson Highlands to Damascus will be to long of a hike. The time frame we have is Nov 3 (starting to hike in the afternoon) and finishing up on Wed evening Nov 5 or early on the morning of Nov 6. was thinking about still doing VA 603 but to VA 859. I have hiked that area and am looking for maximum beauty for a first time hiker.

LB
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Journal Entries
    Images

Roan

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Roan

Got's to agree w/ Bulldawg...I went from Carver's Gap north to 19E in August and that was a spectacular hike. Several balds to cross and of course the famous Yellow Mtn Gap, home of the Overmountain Shelter and fantastic 360 degree views almost the entire way....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyBluer View Post
    Got's to agree w/ Bulldawg...I went from Carver's Gap north to 19E in August and that was a spectacular hike. Several balds to cross and of course the famous Yellow Mtn Gap, home of the Overmountain Shelter and fantastic 360 degree views almost the entire way....

thats what I was just thinking, after looking at that, it would be perfect, we could stay at Roan High Knob on Monday night, then hike to Overmountain Shelter on Tuesday, and then hike to Hwy 19 on Wed. Its only 16 miles but will have; Roan Mnt, Round bald, Jane bald, Grassy Ridge Overmountain Shelter Little Hump and Hump Mnt. I think this what we might do. How is the parking at Hwy 19? Have they had any problems there? And who could help with shuttleing my vehicle around?

LB

Quote Originally Posted by little bear View Post
    thats what I was just thinking, after looking at that, it would be perfect, we could stay at Roan High Knob on Monday night, ... And who could help with shuttleing my vehicle around?

LB
    Did that, plus all the way to Laurel Falls, over Labor Day. BEAUTIFUL! But, wear a hat!!! The sun on the Balds is intense.

Bob Peoples at Kincora.
    aka, SWEAT: Slowly Walking Enjoying the AT!, while perspiring profusely...

We just finished this section last Monday. Our car was at 19east at Mountain Harbor Bed and Breakfast. They will shuttle you and keep your car.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

thats what I was just thinking, after looking at that, it would be perfect, we could stay at Roan High Knob on Monday night, then hike to Overmountain Shelter on Tuesday, and then hike to Hwy 19 on Wed. Its only 16 miles but will have; Roan Mnt, Round bald, Jane bald, Grassy Ridge Overmountain Shelter Little Hump and Hump Mnt. I think this what we might do. How is the parking at Hwy 19? Have they had any problems there? And who could help with shuttleing my vehicle around?

LB
    Roan is pretty much a good induction for the trail. Its not too easy, but the views and terrian are enough to get anyone into hiking. Bring your camera. If this is going to be an upcoming hike, pack for warmth. The valleys are dipping into the high 30s. Roan will be below freezing.

And if you want to see some waterfalls, add another long day to two days with 19E to Dennis Cove.

There hasn't been too many incidents recently at 19E, but its still not a good idea to park there. So park at Mountain Harbour, and they will shuttle you to Carvers Gap or Cloudland. Be sure to call them ahead to reserve a shuttle. Last I heard, catalytic convertors and radios stolen last year or year before that at 19E. But my club is still having problems with a local that litters Bear Branch.

I was just researching some of my TEHCC's old newsletters about the that area. Really not shocked that north of 19E was nicknamed 'the Combat Zone.'
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries
    Images

421 back to Damascus.........not that long and fairly easy........

Images

thats what I was just thinking, after looking at that, it would be perfect, we could stay at Roan High Knob on Monday night, then hike to Overmountain Shelter on Tuesday, and then hike to Hwy 19 on Wed. Its only 16 miles but will have;
    LB
    Your father has never done any backpacking, you said in your original post. So, yes, it's "only 16 miles" but it's a pretty tough 16 miles for a beginning hiker. Take your time, don't rush the climbs, remember that it'll be getting dark early.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Your father has never done any backpacking, you said in your original post. So, yes, it's "only 16 miles" but it's a pretty tough 16 miles for a beginning hiker. Take your time, don't rush the climbs, remember that it'll be getting dark early.

looking at the map it does not look like the clibs are that bad, is the map just deceiving? it looks like the climb on the second day out of yellow gap and then the climb out of Bradley gap look to be the only two real climbs. I could be wrong so tell me if I am. thanks again for the suggestions.

Images

Are you starting at Hughes Gap? There's a stiff climb to get to the top of Roan to stay in the Roan High Knob shelter. If you are starting at Carver Gap it's not so bad, but it's still a fair amount of up and some long downhill sections.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Are you starting at Hughes Gap? There's a stiff climb to get to the top of Roan to stay in the Roan High Knob shelter. If you are starting at Carver Gap it's not so bad, but it's still a fair amount of up and some long downhill sections.

no starting from the cloudland site on top of the mountain. only go what like .8- 1 mile to the shelter the first night, because of having to drive up from eastern NC.

LB

Images

LB
    The parking area at 19E is notorious for car vandalism. Mountain Harbour B&B/hostel @ (866) 772-9494 (Terry). 1/3 of a mile left down 19E from the trail. He does shuttles. $15/night to stay in the very cozy hostel w/hot shower. $7 'to die for breakfast' and $2/day parking on private property (well protected).

Are you thinking of starting from the Roan High Bluff Road trailhead? I would concur that would be an awesome hike from there to 19E. I would not attempt starting a first hike for anyone up Roan from Hughes Gap Road. Ascending Roan NOBO kicked butt for me the other day. I enjoyed the difficulty and challenge, but would not be a good inaugural hiking experience. And yes, the climb out of Carver's Gap and the last bald - Hump Mt are difficult climbs but if you pace your dad he should be OK, given that you're not doing high mileage days.

I need to go back and do that section again myself because Roan summit and all of those balds were obscured in rain and/or fog for me this past Friday and yesterday. The valley at Overmountain Shelter did open up a couple of times and 'the barn' and that view is a must see.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The parking area at 19E is notorious for car vandalism. Mountain Harbour B&B/hostel @ (866) 772-9494 (Terry). 1/3 of a mile left down 19E from the trail. He does shuttles. $15/night to stay in the very cozy hostel w/hot shower. $7 'to die for breakfast' and $2/day parking on private property (well protected).

Are you thinking of starting from the Roan High Bluff Road trailhead? I would concur that would be an awesome hike from there to 19E. I would not attempt starting a first hike for anyone up Roan from Hughes Gap Road. Ascending Roan NOBO kicked butt for me the other day. I enjoyed the difficulty and challenge, but would not be a good inaugural hiking experience. And yes, the climb out of Carver's Gap and the last bald - Hump Mt are difficult climbs but if you pace your dad he should be OK, given that you're not doing high mileage days.

I need to go back and do that section again myself because Roan summit and all of those balds were obscured in rain and/or fog for me this past Friday and yesterday. The valley at Overmountain Shelter did open up a couple of times and 'the barn' and that view is a must see.

I have day hiked from Carvers Gap up to Round Bald, but dont remember it being a tough hike up, (not saying it is or isnt, just dont recall) so are you saying it will not be a good hike for a first timer, one who is 55 and in ok shape? and did you get my message about dinner on friday night?

LB

Images

Just PM'd you back. Yep, dinner Friday night sounds fine and I responded that I think your hiking itinerary is a good one. The one out of Carver's Gap is long but not steep. Hump Mt is the toughest of the balds north of Carver's Gap. Wish I could join you guys as all of that was fogged in for me, but I don't have the vacation days left to take 3-4 days.

Images

Art Loeb.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The hardest thing about Carvers to 19E is the rough ridge drop to Yellow Mtn Gap. Its a quite a bit of putting on the brakes and stepping down. My club is working on it. We are in the process of building a series of switchbacks and better hillside trail.

Then maybe climbing out of Yellow Mtn Gap. Its a good climb if you are starting the day at the barn. The Hump is looks worse than it is. Only time it gets harsh is midday with the sun overheard, or during a hot summer day. Then if you have the luck of running into the steer on Houston Ridge.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

I think the climbs in this section going north are nice, slow slogs...not too strenuous...I have heard climbing Roan can be tough but I didn't think any of the climbs from Carver's to 19E were that bad at all, but I sure wouldn't want to climb Hump Mtn going south....long climb and long rock (in a few places boulder) fields.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++