WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Northern Shenandoah Shuttle?

Hi guys.

I'm going on a weekend trip w/ some friends on the weekend of November 7,8, and 9.

We'd like to leave our car in Front Royal, VA and hike back towards town.

Is anyone available to drive our party of three about 20 miles down Skyline Drive.

If not, recommend a shutter in the area?

Does Weasel Creek shuttle?

Try
    Sharon Johnson
    Front Royal, VA
    (703) 615-5612 [cell] preferred
    (540) 622-6422 [home]

Nice woman, rates were good. She's on the ATC shuttle list.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Thanks! I'll give her a ring!

did u get your shuttle worked out?
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

I passed the info on to my friends and we are going to weigh some options. Can't decide if we want to hike the Northern part of the Sheny's or pay a little more $ on the shuttle and hike the central Sheny's.

Go to Sharon's - very nice people.

We are going next weekend.

What's a good 30ish mile segment to do over 3 days.

The Sheny's were a blur for me back in 05.

The shuttle will be doing the pickup and dropoff.

Images

Around Gravel Springs Hut to Big Meadows is pretty cool, if you are looking for the northern part. Lots of good viewpoints. Hogback Mtn area I thought was especially cool.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

For reliable shuttles anywhere in Shenandoah, or north or south of it: www.mvshuttle.com; 1-877-789-3210. Holds permit to shuttle in the national park, full commercial insurance, and a DMV operating authority, Also free private parking, free night on-site shelter, free hike planning services.

I'll second the mvshuttle recommendation. Great services, with stealth site and water source intel. I specially appreciated the parking service. Be prepared to spend a little coin, though. All the services and intel may be free, but the ride surely isn't.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    We are going next weekend.

What's a good 30ish mile segment to do over 3 days.

The Sheny's were a blur for me back in 05.

The shuttle will be doing the pickup and dropoff.

Do the southern section unless you were already planning on the north. Swift Run Gap to Rockfish Gap. It's over 30 miles though (like 44). 10 miles a day in SNP on the AT is pretty low miles in this kind of terrain.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Do the southern section unless you were already planning on the north. Swift Run Gap to Rockfish Gap. It's over 30 miles though (like 44). 10 miles a day in SNP on the AT is pretty low miles in this kind of terrain.
    Thanks Blissful for the advice. I'm going to look at that section. We're taking some first time hikers so we want to keep the mileage low!

Images

We're taking some first time hikers so we want to keep the mileage low!
    Good plan. When I hiked that section with a friend over Easter of 2007, the other section hikers were basically going shelter to shelter, or about 7 miles/day. It completely boggled their minds that Recess (who is about to complete the CDT in the next few days--way to go, girl!) and I were going three times that far every day. It just didn't seem humanly possible.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

If you are doing the southern portion, you may wish to contact Rockfish Gap outfitters. They were able to give me the numbers for several people around Waynesboro who provide shuttles. I also agree that Mountain and Valley shuttle provides an excellent service, however as stated above, they are a bit pricey. I believe I still have some of the numbers that Rockfish Gap Outfitters gave me for shuttles if you're interested.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Blissful for the advice. I'm going to look at that section. We're taking some first time hikers so we want to keep the mileage low!

Ok, Sure thing - have a great time!!

Hiking Blog

Called the folks at MVShuttle.com

Very nice people and a very reasonable price.

Big Meadow to Gravel Springs. SOBO. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Journal Entries
    Images

Just watch the climb up Marys Rock if you're going SOBO. Almost did my partner in last week. One of the tougher climbs in SNP. Might want to stay at the new Birds Nest shelter area.

BTW - I think the hike for some reason is tougher on the AT SOBO than NOBO (I've done both ways now). Not sure why.

Hiking Blog

Just watch the climb up Marys Rock if you're going SOBO. Almost did my partner in last week. One of the tougher climbs in SNP. Might want to stay at the new Birds Nest shelter area.

BTW - I think the hike for some reason is tougher on the AT SOBO than NOBO (I've done both ways now). Not sure why.
    Did it in sobo in 05. I remember sitting at the bottom of the mountain for an hour or two trying to muster the energy to climb it. (it was at the end of a long day) we decided not to camped, and came back and tackled it first thing the next morning.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by strates View Post
    I'll second the mvshuttle recommendation. Great services, with stealth site and water source intel. I specially appreciated the parking service. Be prepared to spend a little coin, though. All the services and intel may be free, but the ride surely isn't.

When gas was $4.00-plus per gallon, rates were higher than they are now.

Of course, a commercial service is never going to be as cheap as a trail angel, but with Mountain & Valley Shuttle you are covered by real for-hire insurance, travelling with a company that has procured all the federal and state licenses, and are dealing with an entity that has a lot more availability and usually more knowledge about the Trail than a part-timer or a trail angel. There's room for everyone.

Images

The SOBO ascent from Thornton Gap to near Marys Rock is not easy, but it's not as difficult as the map profile suggests. There are several reprieves that are near-level, and some rather gentle climbs. The worst part, for me, is the top third which is steeper, rockier, and without much canopy cover on a hot/humid summer day because of gypsy moth damage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++