WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Info on hiking through PA

Hi! I want to hike the trail through PA (border to border) and was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on how long that would take, and any tips for those who have passed through. I would like to do this over the summer, so I have time to do a bunch of smaller hikes and be able to collect the appropriate gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

it's 230 miles. it should take about 20 days, maybe less

Water sources along the PA A.T. tend to dry up even in a normal summer.

If you hike the A.T. in PA from mid-end of May until mid-end of July prepare for lots of company at the shelters and on the Trail from aspiring NOBO thru-hikers.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I did PA in two chunks. It took me about 17 days total and those were my first two backpacking trips of my life. Be prepared for rocks, but don't let people scare you with the 'horror stories,' there is a lot of hyperbole surrounding the PA rocks, and they really aren't that bad.

Be prepared for high temps during the summer months. It gets pretty damn hot, especially in places like the Cumberland Valley. Water might also be an issue. I did Port Clinton to PenMar in August and I carried 3 liters to a gallon of water at a time.

Have fun!

Garlic
    Images

The poison ivy (and a few rattlers) worried me more than the rocks ever did. I hiked through there this year in late May/early June, and besides the ivy, I had nearly perfect temperatures with plenty of water, usually.

Your time will, of course, depend on your hiking pace and style.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I did it in 3 section hikes over 18 total days. Pen Mar to Boiling Springs, Boiling Springs to Port Clinton, Port Clinton to DWG. I took my time and enjoyed the trips.

Thanks for all of the info.! I want to keep my mistakes to a minimum! haha

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Don't do it, that's my advice. That state is $****.

Hike 5 miles and you have seen them all.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post

Kirby
    you said the same about vermont. that leaves 12 states. any other ones suck?

I section hiked it in two trips, around 15 days (some half days). Both trips were during the summer. I went southbound, which I would recommend, get the rocks out of the way and easier hiking afterwards.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I section hiked it in two trips, around 15 days (some half days). Both trips were during the summer. I went southbound, which I would recommend, get the rocks out of the way and easier hiking afterwards.
    I agree. My first backpacking trip ever was the Delaware Water Gap to Port Clinton. When I was done, I said I'd never go hiking again!

It takes most thru-hikers 16 to 18 days (and this is in mid-summer), but keep in mind most of these folks have been hiking 80-90 days before they get to PA, so they're in pretty good shape. You might want to add a few days to your schedule.

More information on places to stay, re-supply, length of particular stretches, etc. can be found in the "Articles" section of this website; look for the "Re-Supply" article.

Good places to visit, rest, would be Caledonia Stae Park; Pine Grove Furnace Park; Duncannon, Port Clinton, and Palmerton PA.

Have a great trip.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you said the same about vermont. that leaves 12 states. any other ones suck?
    Nah, those were my two least favorite states. Liked all the rest.

Kirby

PA isn't the most exciting state on the AT, but I enjoyed it anyway. Easy walking. About as easy as it gets on the AT, in my opinion.

Images

The rocks are overrated, the worst of it being from Port Clinton north to DWG with the section between Wind Gap and Wolf Rocks being the only section in PA I'd probably never repeat. Most springs dry up by mid to late summer. May and June are probably the nicest warm months, but October's the best time to be out there since the temperatures start to moderate. 10-12 miles per day is easily doable as long as you're in reasonable condition. The trail in PA was my 1st backpacking trip on the AT (or anywhere else at the time) back in '88, so I have a soft spot for the trail there.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

Ah, opinions. Most (if not all) here are probably familiar with what is said about them.

In any event, your response did not address what was being sought. PA isn't all rocks; nor is it all bad.
    (Full disclosure: PA is my home State)

As has been mentioned by others, how long it takes depends upon you, but 2-3 weeks should do it...

Images

Kirby
    Not at all certain what Kirby is claiming. Could be something related to a self-fulfilling prophesy he once had and wants to share with others.

I would encourage people to hike with an open mind and form their own conclusions.

This thread and a bit of enforced idleness prompted me to read Kirby's TJ through the mid-Atlantic - he got pretty sick around Duncannon, had ID issues, and of course it was starting to warm up in that time before the laurel blooms.

But what struck me most was remarks about rocks, even in quite a few places where we here hardly notice them (such as, between Stony Mountain and Rausch Gap?? )

And it seems he missed The Pinnacle after passing Pulpit Rock - it's certainly possible he zoned off on the cutoff trail and back on without noticing the absence of white blazes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    ....And it seems he missed The Pinnacle after passing Pulpit Rock - it's certainly possible he zoned off on the cutoff trail and back on without noticing the absence of white blazes.
    that's weird..... "The trail is really hard to loose"

...so now I have to admit to going astray up there once years ago

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++