WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default +40 for PA in May???

will i be ok in a +40 bag (+45 realistic temp) for a NOBO thru of PA at the end of may into june???

i think i'll be fine w/ down jacket for backup, but i figured i'd rather get some other opinions
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

When I did PA in May a couple of years ago, it was already starting to get blistering hot. We hiked the last 20 miles into DWG on a heat index advisory day - strenous outdoor activity was not advised! This was a few days before Memorial weekend. Thought I would never make it to the church hostel! Of course, one never knows how the weather is going to go before hand, but I'd say a 40-45 degree bag will be okay. And plan to get up at dawn and do most of your miles in the morning! Don't think you'll need the down jacket, light fleece jacket will be fine. You live in PA, so you should know how hot and humid it can get in the early summer down there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I used a fleece blanket with a zipper last year during the same time frame with no problems.

Images

yup it can get really hot in may here, but it's also been known to be a weird time of the year. hot one week, cold the next. it never hurts to ask others opinions htough
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

My one experience hiking in PA the time of year you are - 54 miles from Rt. 325 to Port Clinton - it was plenty warm. Hiked May 30-June 2 with lots of rain but mild temperatures.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes. It was 90s when we went through there in early June on our hike. Skip the down jacket. Just a fleece will do for back up, but even then you probably won't need it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default hiking PA in May

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    will i be ok in a +40 bag (+45 realistic temp) for a NOBO thru of PA at the end of may into june???

i think i'll be fine w/ down jacket for backup, but i figured i'd rather get some other opinions
    yes you will be fine with a 40 degree bag. Be glad it should still be semi cool. Just picture yourself crossing the cumberland valley in 90 degree heat that you would have in summer and May starts to sound pretty darn good!

David

Images

I frequently carry my 45d down bag with me here from mid-April on. If you were in Northern PA, you might need a warmer bag for early may.
    However, I live near the trail here and and find May is a very nice time to hike - The leaves are out to provide shade on warm cloudless days (we get a lot) and it usually goes no lower than the 50's at nght.
    FWIW, if you have a tent, you could probably easily sustain a highy-unlikely 30-degree night comfortably with that 40-degree bag.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post

I finished the PA section in May of '04 and my Phantom 45 was plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Just picture yourself crossing the cumberland valley in 90 degree heat that you would have in summer and May starts to sound pretty darn good!

David
    I crossed the CV in May and it was 90+ in the heat of the day. I started from Darlington shelter at 6am and was in Boiling Springs around 11 am. I felt sorry for the folks I passed who were just starting their crossing when I was finishing.

Images

I crossed it in may '04 as well. Hooked up with a THer named toebreak. I'll never forget the cicadas that year. To lay back in the grass and watch them in the trees was amazing!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I hike Harpers Ferry to Duncannon last year in late May with a 40 degree Marmot Atom. The lows a couple nights were near record lows (near 40 or maybe high 30s). I was a little cold those nights even with clothes on, but worth it to carry a light bag.

Weather.com will give you a table of record highs and lows by calendar day for any given city or town. A useful planning tool if you also factor in elevation related temp drop for where you may be sleeping.

Images

agreed that the 40 will most likely be good enough. i was probably secretly hoping for an excuse to go out and buy a new 20+ bag heheh.

with that covered, i have to debate whether to carry:
    -light down jacket (TNF thunder)
    -100 weight fleece (nike)
    -field jacket liner (surplus)

as my insulation. the down jacket probably will be overkill, but will be lighter and more compressable than the other 2... hmmm

They always unzip, so why not go lighter and add preparation for a possible cold snap?

BTW thanks for the tip you passed on to me a couple of months ago on the closeout Patagonia parka. I was out Friday night (3* when we woke up at Clarks Ferry shelter) and it did fine for shelter wear. My wife got me this strange UA hoodie for Xmas and I wondered why but it was great for on trail this past weekend. No buildup of moisture on the fleece between base layer and hoodie at all!

Images

i know that parka deal was crazy! made me wish i was a big guy

++ New Posts ++