WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: A sneak peak...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default A sneak peak...

Every so often, I get e-mails asking for advice on hikes or backpacks within the Boulder/Denver area.

Having some down time at work, I have put together some of my top five backpacking loops, day hikes and ski tours that are no more than 2-3 hrs away from my home. These are my favorite for a variety of reasons. Beauty, accessibility, uniqueness or challenge.

This is a work in progress. I hope to have 15 hikes/skis/backpacks posted by the end of November.

It is located at:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...ado-Hikes.html

I'll post the link again when I'm done...

For now, enjoy the sneak peak:

#1: The Local Fav: The Double By-Pass

Total Length: 29 miles (with Crater Lake option)
    Total Elevation Gain:
    ~7000 feet
    Maps: Sky Terrain S. Rocky Mountain NP and Indian Peaks
    or

Trails Illustrated Map #102 (Indian Peaks/Gold Hill)

Dogs: On leash only
    Permit:
    A permit is needed is from June 1st to Sept 15th
    Other:
    $8 entrance fee (as of 2008) for Brainard Lakes Recreation Area

There are some places in the mountains that I've returned to many times. Places that are beautiful and stunning and always seems to call out to me.

Franconia Ridge in New Hampshire. The Wind River Range in Wyoming. The canyon country of Utah.

All places that are far from my current home. Places the require travel time and often vacation time.

But there is one place near my home that I always return. A place that is full of alpine views and lakes. Abundance of wildflowers in the summer and golden leafed aspen in the autumn. This place is in the Indian Peaks Wilderness. Or more specifically a two pass loop that encompasses going over to the Continental Divide and continuing on to the remote feeling Western side of the Indian Peaks. It is a loop I call The Double By-Pass. This loop makes for a challenging two day backpack or a more leisurely three. Some crazier people are known to have done it as one-helluva-day-hike.

The loop is located in the nearby Indian Peaks Wilderness and starts at the Mitchell Lake trailhead at Brainard Lake Recreation Area.

Start up the Mt. Audobon trail and soon pass timberline. Pause at the Beaver Creek Trail junction, and enjoy the scenery before you descend back into timberline and to Coney Flats. At peak aspen season, the yellow aspens framed by Sawtooth in the background makes for a great photo.

Continue on the Buchanan Pass Trail to Buchanan Pass itself. The Continental Divide now stretches north and south. Descend to Fox Park, and enjoy the wide meadow. Continue further down into the trees and watch the eco systems change as elevation is lost.

At the Cascade Creek Trail junction, continue southeast to Pawnee Pass, and walk along the many creeks and waterfalls. The loop continues at the Pawnee Pass trail junction, but it is worth the one-mile side trip to Crater Lake and the great view of Lone Eagle Peak.

Continue gaining elevation as you pass Pawnee Lake and then climb up to the divide and Pawnee Pass.

Descend again down the Pawnee Pass trail where the trail joins up with the Jean Lunning trail. The junction is next to Isabelle Lake with its commanding views back to the divide and Isabelle Glacier.

Follow the Jean Lunning trail around Long Lake and to the Long Lake trailhead. Take a breather and follow the asphalt briefly back to Mitchell Lake trailhead and the completion of this loop.

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Nice job Mags - as always! I'll have to share this with my daughter & S-I-L in Denver.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Can't wait to go hiking there!!
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Donewith the hikes...

Done with the hiking descriptions.. (Ski tours to come later)

Backpacks:
    http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...ado-Hikes.html

Day hikes:
    http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...-Colorado.html

I've added an important part to my route descriptions (for this food lover): The POST HIKE section.

I don't know about you, but after a good hike or backpack, I love a good meal (and beer!) and enjoying it with friends.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Mags; 10-31-2008 at 22:41.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

omg(osh), I want to put my house right where someone stood to take that first pic ... Heaven, totally Heaven!!!!

++ New Posts ++