I have been reading over and through whiteblaze for the past week and a half and today October 22, 2008 I decided to join.

Currently I am supposed to be moving to L.A. in November to pursue my dream of working in the "movie biz". I have a place with friends set up and ready to go. The only issue is. I have seriously been considering putting off my L.A. trip until the same time next year, after I finish the thru-hike.

Is it too late for me at this current time to begin preparing for an '09 hike starting in March? Is this something I need to take more time to prepare for? I feel as if right now going into such a self absorbed and un-natural business (which I've already worked in [NYC]) that I could use some time in the woods. I've wanted to do this hike since I was 14-15 years old. Another thing is, other than a 100k worth of student loans with Sallie Mae, I have nothing to hold me back. No wife, no girlfriend, no kids, no house. My student loans can be deferred for 6 months as long as I make a full payment before leaving.

So all in all is it too late to prepare? lol. Now that I've explained my situation. Also does anyone on here have any relatives working in L.A. that could potentially help me out after I piss off my current network of friends by choosing the AT over their offer of a place in Santa Monica. lol. Can someone hit me on the head with that Welcome sign? I'm Gary. Nice to meet you all. I looooooooooooooooooove the Appalachians!

"A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on." William S. Burroughs