okay, i seen this as the opportunity as my first post to explain my experiences at this shelter.

I've never slept in it overnight, but i've hiked to it at least 12 times. The last time i hiked to it (about late august), i came across a rattler right on the final climb north on the yellow s-bm trail, west mountain...it was definitely a timber rattler...i have a reptile field guide i referenced, and it was definitely a match, black tail and all.

The location it was at, if i can describe it best, is the last little climb up which is surrounded by knee high brush...once you get past that, your right near the shelter. I hadn't seen the rattler at first, i heard him....and i immediately jumped backwards and ran back (my first encounter that close ever).

I can account for many other times, however, that i didn't see anything more than hawks and deer. Now, the shelter i have noticed over the past 2 summers tends to get over swarmed by july with wasps in the tops of the chimneys. This year, it was so bad i couldnt even go near the front of it...last year, i went in the front and next thing you know, tagged right in the neck by one. ever since than, i tend to avoid it summer time.