WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eyahiker
    You'll have to ask someone who thinks they were a mouse in a former life
    does this mean EYAHIKER might be open to the idea of reincarnation?

"Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if there be one, he must approve the homage of Reason rather than that of blindfolded Fear."-Thomas Jefferson

you know Thomas Jefferson
    wrote his OWN BIBLE!
    it's true!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird
    you know Thomas Jefferson[/I] wrote his OWN BIBLE!
    it's true!

That's right. It consisted of only Jesus' life. It's called the 'Jefferson Bible".

http://www.angelfire.com/co/JeffersonBible/
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Yes, yes, more bibles! Ohhhh boy! People who need a savior to tell them how to live just aren't thinking for themselves. You aren't born with religion, it's taught! And a culture can teach funny things, including info that is nothing but myth. And if you really think religion is anything but myth you have yourself totally brainwashed by Mother Culture. I don't believe in fairy tales and I refuse to accept the delusion of a religion. Take yer head out of the sand! It's nothing but fiction!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Default Bibles and trail magic

I'll say that Bibles etc. need to be left out of shelters when those that claim that stop staying at Church Hostels and stop taking trail magic with scripture written on it alone. Deal ?

*such hatred for Chrsitianity on this thread.
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew
    I'll say that Bibles etc. need to be left out of shelters when those that claim that stop staying at Church Hostels and stop taking trail magic with scripture written on it alone. Deal ?
    Deal (who would have thought). Bibles must not be left out of shelters, particularly at this time of the year. It's a safety issue. Who knows when a fire will save a life?

Default leave your religous message in town!

Hey spanky! thanks for the bible near killington in 2002 It really gave me insperation at a hard time.I feel that its perfectly all right to leave religious material in shelters!Isnt that being a little harsh on religious people to point them out in generall!why not do away with all reading material then!as if to say isnt that being a little judgemental kentucky ?

Get rid of all reading material? No way! I've seen hikers get ill cuz there was no register for them to keep up on the gossip. Amazing how hikers look so forward to reading a stupid register.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Get rid of all reading material? No way! I've seen hikers get ill cuz there was no register for them to keep up on the gossip. Amazing how hikers look so forward to reading a stupid register.

C'mon now Wolf. Didn't I see your signature in a register in some photo book of the AT? I forget the name, but I have some photo book (with Katahdin on the cover) that has a photo of a register with a Lone Wolf entry. Pretty cool - it is.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew
    DEAL.....but what are we gonna do for firestarter?
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Yeah MOWGLI, the book is titled "Appalachian Trail - A Photographic Tour", page 107 shows a photo of an open register with my sig in it. It was the Dartmouth Outing Club's register at Robinson Hall in Hanover. It was August 6th of 98 and I was southbound.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kentucky
    ....I feel that its perfectly all right to leave religious material in shelters!Isnt that being a little harsh on religious people to point them out in generall!why not do away with all reading material then!as if to say isnt that being a little judgemental kentucky ?
    Shelter maintainers in Maine are asked to remove everything left in shelters that was not placed there by the Maine Appalachian Trail Club. This includes food, clothing, books, magazines, newspapers -- and yes, Bibles and religious materials.

Registers in Maine are placed in the shelters by MATC and remain the property of the club.

I think the Maine restrictions are in keeping with the goal of achieving a wild trail, treats everyone equally, and avoids a collection of junk that eventually has to be carried out by the maintainer anyway.

Yeah. It is a rule that is not always enforced, but most maintainers realize why it is important and do their best to fulfill their obligations.

Weary

Default leave you religious message in town

Well I guess that sums up the whole matter kentucky!

If the body is the temple of the soul, and the bible left behind was ment to save your soul, and you used a few pages to start a fire to save the body from hypothermia; then I guess it surved its porpose. I don't think God would mind.

Images

I must confess that I have left Edward Abbey books in the with shelter registers, always leaving my name and address in the front cover, and a note to return the book for postage and another Ed Abbey to be sent to them, I receive them back occasionally,

so I guess were all "looking for converts"

sometimes I 'bait and switch" and send them a John Steinbeck book back instead of an Ed Abbey.

Goddess forgive ME!
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Thumbs down Foolish...

Quote Originally Posted by Lint
    Yes, yes, more bibles! Ohhhh boy! People who need a savior to tell them how to live just aren't thinking for themselves. You aren't born with religion, it's taught! And a culture can teach funny things, including info that is nothing but myth. And if you really think religion is anything but myth you have yourself totally brainwashed by Mother Culture. I don't believe in fairy tales and I refuse to accept the delusion of a religion. Take yer head out of the sand! It's nothing but fiction!!!!!
    Psalm 14:1 - "The fool has said in his heart there is no god."

Ol' Lint done gone and blabbed it right out of his mouth!
    "Just trying to keep life simple."

Images

Lint is no fool,,he is a nice guy,,

he worked real hard at HARDCORE this year, one of the best and hardest workers, I think he might read some Ed Abbey.

Rocket GA->ME '04
    Images

And Lint's also the founder of the B.L.A.H.S.! Beware, it's all an elaborate plot to take over the trail. I wonder if he saw my entries in the registers in reference to that...

Images

Freethinkers (atheists,agnostics,skeptics) form their opinions about religion on the basis of reason, rather than faith. When religionists are unable to successfully debate ideas with atheists, they often turn to character defamation. Even if all the absurd prejudices against atheists were true, that still would not make the incredible claims of religion true!
    Prisons are full of religious criminals, our planet is besieged by "holy wars", and religion often leads followers astray. People taught never to question authority are more easily victimized or corrupted. The bible itself is a moral quagmire. Murderers, mutilators, sexists, racists and slaveholders have turned to bible texts to justify their conduct. Religion brought us the Dark Ages, the Crusades, the Inquisition, witch-burnings, and war. It has fueled bigotry, punished heretics, and fought against social reform and scientific progress. Religion has endorsed the oppression of women time and time again. It is dangerous and irresponsible to sacrifice your mind to the dictates of an imaginary authority, whether "god" or "devil".
    Freethinkers do not live in a fool's paradise. They seek happiness here, now, in the real world. They are free of many crippling religious concepts which bring unhappiness, like, believing you are a lowly, unworthy sinner who caused someone else to die for your "crimes". Not to mention fear of hell, unnatural self-denial, forced sacrifice, and the stress of making yourself believe claims you know cannot be true.
    And yes, Rocket, I read your register entry about the BLAHS. We aren't taking over anything! What is there to "take over" anyway? The BLAHS was just a humorous group started in defense of those who like to smoke and drink along the trail. Responsibly, of course.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy
    Psalm 14:1 - "The fool has said in his heart there is no god."

Ol' Lint done gone and blabbed it right out of his mouth!

I certainly hope you aren't calling Lint a FOOL

Matthew 5

22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

Default I wanted to thru-hike, but there were just too many Bibles

Oh, no! There's a Bible in the shelter! Don't anybody touch it or you'll start a holy war!

So I guess "You don't have to read it" is too simple of an answer here. It's not like someone's standing on the picnic table prostelitizing. It's just another book left for some people to enjoy, and if Nietzsche were left in a shelter, I'd read that, too. Because some people disagree with the ideas espoused in any book is no cause for censorship.

Lint, we met in Hot Springs and you were very kind to share your cabin with me. But would you really say I was unhappy? A fool? Bigoted and masochistic? You're taking the actions of a few madmen and fundamentalists and judging that to be the true religious ethos. I also wonder what Jesus (certainly a reformer, Son of God or not), Rev. Dr. King, Daniel Berrigan, Martin Luther and others would say to your claims that religious people can not be free thinkers and agents of social change.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++