WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Random Questions

First I want to apologize if some of these have already been answered.. I haven't had time to go through all the forums. I'm sure I'll have a ton of more questions.. but here's a start:

1) those of you bringing electronics.. how are you going to charge them? I was thinking of getting a small lightweight solar charger - and ideas?

2) Jetboils... I have one, use it all the time on hikes.. was told it would be great for the trail.. thoughs?

3) Recovery. Anyone on here in a 12 step program? How did you supplement your program on the trail? I will be bringing an iPod (hence # 1) w/ meetings on it but I guess I am at the whim of the towns that I cross in the ways of finding live meetings.

thanks.

Images

1. carry the chargers and do so in town. the only things that you might use that would require more energy than a single charge is a mp3 player.

2. jetboil is nice. i find that it is good for 2 people, but a bit overkill for just me. I like a small pot and alcohol stove that weighs half as much

3. not on a 12 step program, but i got a lot of **** in my head that is practically forcing me to thru hike next year.

if you leave with the nobo heard then you will be around a lot of boozing and getting high so if that might cause a problem start early and get ahead of it or start sobo. folks for the most part are cool with whatever decisions you make. i dont smoke and hardly ever drink, but have never felt pressured or left out of the group by my decisions while on the trail. the old saying hike your own hike comes into play here.

1) Other posts have mentioned that solar chargers don't work to well due to the tree cover over most of the trail. Recharging in town is the best option.

2) While I don't have a jetboil, they are extremely nice and I know many people have them. You shouldn't have any problem with it or getting fuel.

3) Can't speak to much of this since I am not in such a progam but due to the small size of most towns it might be hard to find actual meetings.

Images

The 'green tunnel' probably would't be too good for the solar.
    Never used a Jet Boil.
    Stayed at a hostel in Vernon, NJ that was hosting a 12 step program while I was there. Probably hard to schedule around though, but I'm sure there must be more out there

This side of the dirt
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hne913 View Post
    2) Jetboils... I have one, use it all the time on hikes.. was told it would be great for the trail.. thoughs?
    I have a Jetboil - works great - carried it on my long section hike in 07. My brother thru hiked in 07 and carried one also. He had the optional pot instead of the standard tall one.

On my thru next year I will most likely carry a Markill Hotshot stove (7.5oz w/o canister) and a titanium pot with frying pan cover (6.5 oz). Just a little lighter and offers some cooking alternatives.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Stir Fry

I have a Jetboil - works great - carried it on my long section hike in 07. My brother thru hiked in 07 and carried one also. He had the optional pot instead of the standard tall one.

What optional pot. I do not know of a shorter version, unless you mean the 1.5 L pot.

Images

1 - forget solar chargers, just more weight and you dont need it.

2 - I sent my jetboil home, for one it weighs a good bit, 2nd it is hard to clean if you have the tall "cup", 3rd I switched to the MSR ti pot, it is lighter, the large fuel canister fits in it and it takes up less room. Fuel use is the same with the Snowpeak ti stove and is much light/compact then the Jetboil version.

3 - recovery? figure being on the trail is all the recovery you need. Not sure, never been in it before.

1) those of you bringing electronics.. how are you going to charge them? I was thinking of getting a small lightweight solar charger - and ideas?

For a feeling of independance, or for very long sections, especially sunny sections, a solar charger might work. They are getting lighter. For section hiking rechargeable batteries might be best. For thru-hiking, probably disposables. To solar charge effectively, if it is do-able, I think you would have to do your own research to really be on top of it and make it work.

I use a Kelly Kettle so I don't mind the idea of boiling water only type cooking, but I understand that alcohol stoves provide lighter solutions with simpler re-supply. Also I am against non-refillable fuel canisters. I could be wrong on that, maybe the Jetboil ones are re-fillable.

3) Recovery. Anyone on here in a 12 step program? How did you supplement your program on the trail? I will be bringing an iPod (hence # 1) w/ meetings on it but I guess I am at the whim of the towns that I cross in the ways of finding live meetings.

Good luck with that. I should be on a 12 step program for something. I think a thru-hike would be particularly good for step#11, and for that and all the other steps that you think group sessions are helpful maybe section hiking is a better option that thru-hiking. Of course there is a continuum between section hiking and thru-hiking. Its all a matter of time and logistics and what suits you best. I would always keep my plan flexible.

Not to make a serious subect silly, but it would be interesting if someone did the AT in 12 sections, with each section done along with each of the 12 steps of the 12 step program. The sections could be flexible, and vary in length, and some would have several resupplies within them, but that would give you some flexibility in attending some group sessions at home, and taking some time off at home when needed, and also including some group sessions in trail towns, or even on the trail, if the opportunity arose to do so.

If I was on a 12 step program, one of the things for me would be food and I would be on step 1. I am not grossly overweight, but I've been stuck at 230# for awhile now and its from comfort eating at night and I'm getting to be an age where I really should deal with it. I think for something like overeating a 12 step program combined with long distance section hiking would be very good, as long as the long distance section hiking fit in with the rest of the persons family life and responsibilities. Maybe for myself I will consider a 12 step program for my overeating, and combine it with regular day hiking and weekend hiking and maybe some section hiking.

Thanks for getting me to think about such things. Cheers.

Journal Entries

Let me know when you're going to be anywhere from Wytheville-Pearisburg Va and I'll see to it that you get to a meeting or two if I'm home (I'm an OTR trucker, but let me know; it'll work out).
    If I wanted to hike and make meetings I think I'd start getting phone numbers now. Start with state AA numbers, and ask them for people on the call list who are in towns near the trail. Call them and tell them what you're doing. As you know, AA is all about asking for help- and giving it when asked. I've called strangers from truckstops all over the country; I literally haven't failed to get to a meeting yet, and met some pretty cool folks.
    There's a hostel in southern Va that was run for years by a foB, btw....
    As someone with a few 24 hours sober, I think I'd be certain to carry a good tent and raingear. I'd plan on camping more than staying in shelters, and I'd certainly know that I had the gear to leave any shelter at any time I became uncomfortable. (Matter of fact, that's probably good advice for people not in the program).
    If you really start working on it, you might well find more than one good hiking companion, at least for some short stretches. Not to mention beds, and food, and showers.
    Earth people (an AA term to describe those without addiction problems) may not understand this, but camping and similar activities were real relapse risk factors for me when I first got sober. I hadn't fished or camped or whatever in 20 years without a beer in my hand and a full cooler to back it up. I didn't think I would ever be able to go into the woods again. Just waaaay too many associations. I was wrong. As one example, I celebrated my tenth AA birthday in the Thorofare in Yellowstone with my 14 year-old daughter. We were on the 4th or 5th night of a hike from east of Yellowstone Lake to Mariposa Lake in the far south of the park to the lodge at Old Faithful (98 miles total), where we had stashed clothes. Two or three nights out of the Thorofare our campsite at Heart Lake was crashed by a group of early-20-somethings, summer park employees, who carried far more booze than gear. My very protective daughter, Stacey, looked to me like she was going to get in the face of a young lady who first asked if they could share our fire and then asked if I wanted a beer.
    Stacey stayed between me and the girl in question the rest of the night, but she was certainly relieved when I answered the beer question by saying: "No thanks. I don't drink when I'm sober".
    It's all about priorities.

Images

Congratulations randyg45.

I've been very close to a couple of folks with sever alcohol dependence. Tough road, but so worth it when you can finally put it at bay. Well Done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

I use a Kelly Kettle so I don't mind the idea of boiling water only type cooking, but I understand that alcohol stoves provide lighter solutions with simpler re-supply. Also I am against non-refillable fuel canisters. I could be wrong on that, maybe the Jetboil ones are re-fillable.
    I am in the same boat. I don't like to waste materials, so I am using the MSR whisperlite. I have not heard or seen anything that states Jetboil fuel canisters are refillable. Are there any canister fuels that are refillable, in particular, refillable allong the trail?

Congrats randyg45. I know what you mean by associations from when I took up smoking at 26 and managed to quit at 36, and now toying with taking it up again. I started after I git out of the regular forces and joined the reserves even though I never smoked at all in the regular forces. I remember our company commander in basic training warning us that even after age 20 there is a real temptation to take it up in the service. Anyhow, I managed to quit at 36 but I've recently fallen in with a bad crowd of chess players. LOL. Anyhow, I think your post will help me nip that in the bud. I'll keep the chess up of course.

I have the personality for alcohol to be a risk also, but I am one of those fortunate ones that my body keeps it in check especially now that my liver and metabolism have gotten older. Food has become a problem for me recently, and some other issues like posting on the forum way too much now and then.

Keep the faith.

As far as the mp3 player question, I'm a big iPod fan but I've been looking at some other brands. I've seen some cheaper mp3 players with lower capacity like 1 to 3 gig that take AAA batteries. Some are also FM radios.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

I got a 16 gig Ipod and a charger that uses two AA batteries off ebay. I tried it out at home and the thing played for 4 straight days before I had to change the batteries.

Smile 12 step

Celebrated 10 yrs while on the trail in 94. Hiked about 1/3 of AT. Only meetings I went to were in Blacksburg Va. Someone did give me a daily meditation book. Beer drinking seems to be a big thing on the trail with many people but there are a lot of good people hiking and along the trail. What tempts me the most is people smoking you know what. Did stay clean and sober on this hike. You could probably plan a little ahead and call people in towns along the trail as already mentioned. If you're going thru Atlanta and need a meeting or ride PM me and it will be no problem. Good luck on your hike

No help on #'s 1 or 2.

But here in Connecticut we have a great service called Infoline that can point you in the direction of meetings here in state.

From www.infoline.org: 2-1-1 is a free community service administered by the United Way of Connecticut. It is supported by the State of Connecticut and Connecticut United Ways. You can call 2-1-1 to get information, or to seek help in a crisis. We are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Simply dial 211 or 1-800-203-1234 any time of day or night.

(note that is 211 from a land line - not a cell phone to my knowledge -CJ)

You can also browse the Infoline website for the things you need. Here's a list of things covering substance abuse http://www.211ct.org/focus/subabuselist.asp there is a subcategory for support groups (and it is further broken out by alcohol vs. drug)

Another tip- a friend of mine was a couple years into the program when he found himself having to travel to a country for a couple of months where he couldn't find meetings. His sponsor wrote him a couple of sealed letters that were his "In Case of Emergency Break Glass" sort of thing that he carried with him. And he had other friends in the program send him letters via the mail periodically. He told me that the random letters were the thing that kept him sober. He never wanted to look back and remember that the day he faltered was the day he received xyz's letter. Maybe you could set up some general delivery mail drops for yourself from people in your current group.

And for what it's worth, I hope you stay strong and healthy and find the support you need. ~CJ
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Images

I don't have a jet boil, but i've seen several hikers that wasn't happy w/ theirs, hard to clean and easy to burn liptons
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Quote Originally Posted by Hne913 View Post
    First I want to apologize if some of these have already been answered.. I haven't had time to go through all the forums. I'm sure I'll have a ton of more questions.. but here's a start:

thanks.

link to solar questions. long list. scroll down.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sear...=5365717&pp=25

Images

jet boil worked fine for us. size and weight encouraged us to go with a lighter alternative.

pot to cook in. something cheap. Walmart?

12 Step. The trail will have all the same challenges as life off the trail. Tenting is your best alternative to the shelters. We left the shelters to the younger folks and those in a hurry. All the young folks in groups we met were respectful and just as tired as we were at the end of the day. Sure the partying goes on but a lot of it also is the day hiker or the short term hiker - around the College Spring Break time.

Wish you well. traildust

You can charge things in town, thats what i did with my cell phone. you can go into coffe shops and restaurants, a bunch of even found outlets in front of walmart and charge our things there.

i also brought a small FM radio that ran on AAA batteries. i just had extras in my back pack and threw the used ones out when i could. that little radio was amazing, it was great for those reallllyyyyy long boring days. it had weather stations, so we could get the weather report for the next few days, and it had tv stations... i remember one night that i had found a station playing the harry potter movie.

^^^^^Highly recomended piece of equipment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++