WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb monadnock-sunapee-greenway trail

I'm planning a thru hike of the AT this year, however, as a practice run, in 2 weeks I am planning on doing the Monadnock-Sunapee-Greenway Trail. Has anyone else thru-hiked this trail? I was originally planning to spend 4 days on the Monadnock Metacomet Trail, but it seems like it would be very difficult due to mud, mud, mud, and oh yeah... no shelters or designated campsights! Now not that I'm not expecting to tromp through the mud on the MSGT, but there are 2 or 3 lean-to's and some established campsites, so at least I'm not camping out in a graveyard. Does anyone have any other 4-5 day trails semi-nearby (within 1 + 1/2 hrs) the coast in NE? Preferable in MA, RI, Southern NH... I think ME will still be cold and muddy at this time of the year.
    see you on the trail!

I live in Dedham. I have been interested in this area for a few months now.
    Let me know if you want a partner to do it with. I don't really want to solo it.

EM me if you want.

Images

Default Trails in MA & So NH

I don't know a lot about it but check out the 92 mile long Midstate Trail ( www.midstatetrail.org ) in Massachusetts. It starts in Rhode Island and ends just shy of the New Hampshire Stateline. You could then continue another 21 miles into NH on the Wapack Trail: www.wapack.org. I've hiked this trail as a day hike and its beautiful; It had more ridge-top views than I ever expected.

I've heard good things about the Mondadnock-Sunapee Greenway, too bad its only 50 miles long. You could do a Yo-Yo hike to stretch out the hike and then you wouldn't have to worry about spotting, hitching or bussing back to your car.

For fun check out Sunapee-Ragged-Kearsarge Greenway http://www.srkg.com/. This is a 75 loop that could be combined with the MS Greenway (and thus the Metacomet Monadnock Trail) to make a trail of almost 300 miles. The S-R-K doesn't meet your need now because it doesn't allow camping on the trail but the maintainers are working towards establishing sites in the future.

2006 Thru-hiker in planning dje97001's Avatar
    Images

Default Wapack Trail

I was just wondering how far this trail was from Mt. monadnock itself? The map doesn't seem to mention it? Is there a way to end your hike going up monadnock? (I realize it isn't a very big one--practically ran up it when I was 6; but it is still great fun and would be a nice "destination" to look forward to reaching). I'd never heard of the wapack trail before, but my interest is piqued. It sounds like a nice shakedown overnighter.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by dje97001
    I was just wondering how far this trail was from Mt. monadnock itself? The map doesn't seem to mention it? Is there a way to end your hike going up monadnock?
    The Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway runs from Mt Monadnock to Mt Sunapee.

I'd never heard of the wapack trail before, but my interest is piqued. It sounds like a nice shakedown overnighter.
    Wapack Trail runs from Rte 119 in Ashburnham MA (near the end of the Mid-State Trail) to Old Mountain Road jsut north of North Pack Monadnock Mtn.

The Wapack Trail doesn't connect to the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway, but it does connect to the Mid-State Trail, which in turn connects to RI's North-SOuth Trail, making it possible to hike from North Pack to Long Island Sound.

The Monadnock SUnapee Greenway connects to the Metacomet Monadnock Trail, which runs down over the excellent Holyoke Range and down into Connecticut.
    Frosty

Images

Default Mid-state Trail

I've done parts of the MId-State as day hikes. There are a few shelters, but not necessarily spaced properly. It's really in an overly-civilized part of the state, so you cross lots of roads and feel like you're hiking through people's back yards. Finding reasonable out-of-the-way places to camp every night could be a problem.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by lorac
    I'm planning a thru hike of the AT this year, however, as a practice run, in 2 weeks I am planning on doing the Monadnock-Sunapee-Greenway Trail.

Does anyone have any other 4-5 day trails semi-nearby (within 1 + 1/2 hrs) the coast in NE? Preferable in MA, RI, Southern NH... I think ME will still be cold and muddy at this time of the year.
    see you on the trail!
    ME will be muddy or snow-covered, for sure.

The Monadnock-Sunapee Trail is on 50 miles, a nice three day hike with shelters as you say.

The MId-State Trail is 92 miles, and has some shelters and campsites.

The NOrth-SOuth Trail is abut 75 miles, would need to tent.

The Warner Trail runs about 33 miles from Canton MA to CUmberland RI. I recently hiked most of this. It's a nice trail. No shelters but plenty of woods to camp in.

The Bay Circuit Trail runs a couple hundred miles from Plum Island MA to Kingston MA in a wide loop around Boston. There is a "hole" around Lowell. There are some road walks, but with a couple exceptions, they are pleasant ones. No shelters.

If you are interested in backpacking the Greenway, Mid-State Trail, or Norht South Trail, now or this summer, let me know with a PM. In April it would be easier for me to hike mid-week than on weekends. This summer I might hike from SUnapee to the Ocean via Wapack, Mid-State and North-South Trails.
    Frosty

I was just wondering how far this trail was from Mt. monadnock itself? The map doesn't seem to mention it? Is there a way to end your hike going up monadnock? (I realize it isn't a very big one--practically ran up it when I was 6; but it is still great fun and would be a nice "destination" to look forward to reaching). I'd never heard of the wapack trail before, but my interest is piqued. It sounds like a nice shakedown overnighter.
    On Monadnock the trail runs concurrantly with the Dublin Trail.

The southern half of the trail is really quite wonderful (as to why I never did the northern half, that is another story). It made me think of the Appalachian Trail the way Earl Schaffer described it in Walking with Spring, that is, it follows many abandoned roads, wanders though and old town or two, and a residential neighborhood. It was extremely buggy when I hiked, and I did use DEET, something I never used on the AT.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Images

Just to avoid a possibly confusing situation: the quote above, which was also quoted by Sleepy in his post, is a question about The Wapack Trail. The Wapack does not go over Mt Monadnock on The Dublin Trail. The Wapack starts near Mt Watatic in Ashburnham Mass, traverses various peaks and ridges including Pratt, Temple, Pack Monadnock and it ends on the semi-remote North Pack Monadnock in Greenfield New Hampshire. For those who know where Mount Monadnock is The Wapack is east of its summit and can be seen from many places along its tread way. All the trails mentioned in this thread offer great hiking opportunities with a wide variety terrain and levels of human intrusion.

Default Mid-State Trail

I just finished a short hike on the Mid-state trail from Leominster State Forest north to somewhere near Route 2, about six miles round trip. A long section of it was secluded and quiet although parts of it were near roads and houses. I did not see any campsites or shelters on the part I hiked, last summer I hiked from Leominster State Forest south to Mt. Wachusett. I found the area to be quiet and well-maintained. One thing about the trail being near civilization....you could practice your town stop-over techniques as well as your long distance skills. Not exactly wilderness, but some nice views from Crow Ledges in Leominster State Forest and Mt. Wachusett. All in all a nice stretch of the legs./

Geezer

Default Monadnock-Sunapee-Greenway Trail Backpack

I'm planning a thru hike of the AT this year, however, as a practice run, in 2 weeks I am planning on doing the Monadnock-Sunapee-Greenway Trail.
    Did you ever do this hike? I'm thinking about doing it (the MSG) end-to-end the week after next. Start Monday (Apr 12), do it in three or four days (two or three nights). Would like a partner if only to spot a vehicle at each end.

If you're interested (or anyone else is), send me an email [email protected]

An April 18 (Sunday) start is also possible, but the 12th is preferable.
    Frosty

Images

Default Local Hike

I tried the Metacomet-Monadnock trail in 2002. I started at southern end. Could not find actual terminus so picked it up on rte57. I took a nasty dive fording the westfield river, so I ended my trip. It doesnt seem like a LDH trail to me, more for day hikes.

I also Hike on the Midstate trail in Leominster/ wachusett Area.

You could always try what Im doing, on the 12th of htis month. hiking on the AT North from around Race mt to North Adams, This is a good 85 miles. But be prepared for some blowdowns and a very wet trail.

I have/had plans to hike from Monadnock to Rte 9 on the MSGT on Monday (5th) but after the recent downpours, I'm rethinking it due to the crossing of the Eliza Adams gorge! No need to be swept away.

I've hiked from Rte 9 to Washington and was just going to piece the sections together. I may just wait now and hike it all at once, that was my original plan anyway.

Have fun if you go, the rivers should be under control by next week!

Images

I have a long weekend this month (22nd - 25th) and am going to hike the MSGW. Does anyone know if there is bus service in Peterborough or any other town near Mt Monadnock?

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty

An April 18 (Sunday) start is also possible, but the 12th is preferable.
    I may just see you up at Monadnock around the 12th... if you're starting there. I'm going to get the guide book from Toadstool Bookstore tomorrow morning I think, and then I'll get back to you. It would be nice to be able to leave my car at one end if I can get a ride back to the other end in exchange for giving you a ride or something. Not sure exactly how many days the MSG trail will take though, and if I can spare enough to do the whole thing. I am leaving for Georgia pretty soon (still undecided on which day yet- prolly the 19th) and need a few days after the MSG trail to finalize all plans. Were you thinking so-bo or no-bo? I'm not sure how people go about this one. Ending with the summit of Monadnock would be nice, but either way would be great I'm sure.
    Anyways thanks to everyone else out there for your replies, they were all very helpful.
    See you on the trail!
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep/ but I have promises to keep/ and miles to go before I sleep. ~R. Frost

Geezer

I may just see you up at Monadnock around the 12th... if you're starting there. I'm going to get the guide book from Toadstool Bookstore tomorrow morning I think, and then I'll get back to you. It would be nice to be able to leave my car at one end if I can get a ride back to the other end in exchange for giving you a ride or something. Not sure exactly how many days the MSG trail will take though, and if I can spare enough to do the whole thing. I am leaving for Georgia pretty soon (still undecided on which day yet- prolly the 19th) and need a few days after the MSG trail to finalize all plans. Were you thinking so-bo or no-bo? I'm not sure how people go about this one. Ending with the summit of Monadnock would be nice, but either way would be great I'm sure.
    Anyways thanks to everyone else out there for your replies, they were all very helpful.
    See you on the trail!
    Lorac,

Tried to sent you a PM but I think I messed it up.

Anyway, I have the guide book/map and am planning a "thruhike" of MSG to start Sunday April 11, probably a bit late in the afternoon.

My exact schedule depends on whether I hike alone or with someone (and can spot a car), but I'll be working that out in a bit, and should be able to post an itinerary this evening or tomorrow.

Due to logistics, if I hike alone it will have to be southbound. I guess that's my pref anyway, as I'd like to end on Monadnock.

Frosty

Geezer

Okay, it took a couple of days, but I changed things around a bit. I'm going to hike north from Monadnock to Sunapee.

My schedule:

Leave Sunday afternoon. Camp night #1 at the Spiltor tent site, only a few miles from Monadnock. It is the only legal campsite in the first couple of sections. I'm not averse to setting up a tent on State Park land utilizing LNT methods, but most of the MSG is on private land. In order to keep the trail open, I'll try not to camp on private land. Getting lost and having to camp elsewhere is always a possibility, but I'll deal with that if and when.

Night #2 will be at the Crider Shelter, about twelve miles from Spiltor.

Night #3 will be the Washington Shelter. I'm told it is only a short jaunt into the town of Washington where burgers can be had. I also believe the Greenway goes though Washington, so the next morning, I can have coffee.

Then the last day it's a long haul out to Sunapee and my truck.

Except for the last day, not very big days mileage-wise, but that's okay. It's a shakedown hike for me and some new gear, plus I want some time to try this journaling thing (have a trailjournal account), and maybe write a mystery story while I'm out there. I bought an AlphaSmart keyboard on eBay and am dying to try it out.

Forecast is for rain which should make the hike interesting. Probably won't be cold enough for snow, just the usual New Hampshire spring weather: 33 degrees and rain.

Images

Default parking

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Then the last day it's a long haul out to Sunapee and my truck.
    Frosty

where in Sunapee is a good place to leave a truck for a few days ?

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by celt
    Frosty

where in Sunapee is a good place to leave a truck for a few days ?
    Good question. Celt. Wish I had a good answer.

I'm going to leave it at the Summit Trail trailhead (the ski resrot parking lot).

One of the best feelings of any hike is the sight of your vehicle, still in the parking lot.
    Frosty

Hiked from Monadnock to Nelson Rd today, took a few pictures (because I remembered this thread....and the fact that you will be there soon)

Dublin Tr. was quite treacherous with a daypack, but we took it slow.

http://community.webshots.com/user/michelle12113

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++