WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Default Best Trashgiving I have ever attended

It was definitely a great time, a great bunch of people to hang out with for a few days, and great food thanks to Bear Paw, Baltimore Jack, Blister Sister, and every one else that cooked something. There was way too much food, I have hardly eaten anything for about 36 hours now and am still not hungry, but the excess food is to be expected when you do not know how many you are cooking for and definitely better then not enough food.

The only real problem with the weekend was the scrapple incident, which was not really as bad as it could have been, and taught us something about eating scapple which has been sitting out for over 24 hours.

Agreed, other than the scrapple, it was an awesome weekend. Thanks everyone.

Images

At least you didn't take the Scrapple home with you and eat more. Poker and Tank had Scappleitis. Ever find out why it says don't reheat?

Great time, Great Event!!
    BIG Thank You : Matty (Master Maintainer and all out organizer of the Holy Turkey Kitchen), Tank (Master Finder and Runner), Jack (Master of Cash, Springstien, Burbon, and Pie), Blister (Mistress of the Holy Turkey Kitchen), Bobcat (Mistress of Presentaion and Good Shots)
    this is not an all encompassing list my apologies to those not on the list

I am going to get pictures developed now...

Hmmmm. Some folks wouldn't eat Scrapple period, never mind scrapple that had been visiting for awhile.

Oh well.

Sorry to hear 'bout that, Tank. Just wanted to say that this year's event was great, and big thanx to everyone who attended, contributed, and helped out, especially stellar kitchen crew Bearpaw, Blister, Bobcat, Matthewski, Tank, and out newest member, Stallion, who for reasons that escape me, is still hiking South.

Evidently, if we had to adopt a token Southbounder, we coulda done a lot worse.

Seriously, thanx to everyone, and big thanx to folks who brought fun stuff to eat, like Walking Home, Old Fhart, Boarstone (killer homemade doughnuts!!), Matty (what would have ever done without 100 bananas?).

Food quantities were perfect, (thanx to Mad Hatter for the extra turkey and other stuff!).

Things we learned from the weekend:

*Boil more peas.
    *Make smaller lasagnas.
    *But fewer pearl onions.
    *There's never enough butter.
    *Do not put 9,000 crackers on the sideboard.
    *If you like green beans with fried onions, eat them before they get waylaid
    and taken home by greedy vegetarians.
    *Ditto the pesto pasta.
    *And the sweet potatoes.
    *Good thing we hid the veggie lasagna.
    *If you really like Pecan Pie, buy your own.
    *Jester's mother is God. If her cherry cheesecake were widely available, all
    the world's ills would be cured, including wars, economic disorders, racial
    strife, transgender discrimination, mean-spirited commentary directed
    against ugly small dogs, nasty Southbounder jokes, and bad Toby Keith
    ballads. In short, Pat O'Donnell needs to be cloned immediately. The
    tireless staff at Billville Safety Research is working on it.
    *Her son, however, is another matter entirely.
    *We need to keep Bfitz away from Brass wizards.
    *Encourage BooBoo to re-enlist for a tour in Antarctica.
    *Hide the Yuengling or hippie musicians will pilfer it.
    *There's never enoug egg nog.
    *Also, gravy. Thank heavens Mad Hatter was there.
    *All hiker dogs are flatulent. Deal with it.
    *Bearpaw's dog is not ugly, it's merely a dental issue.
    *Oh, and did we wish Boo Boo well in Antarctica?

All for now, will surely think of more things later.

Default Whoops.......

Well, it's now "later" and I thought of some serious omissions from my last post. First, I forgot about our friend Fedge who lives in Glencliff, who provided us access to the hostel both before the event, and again on Thursday night, who kept the place heated and warm, and was vital to the weekend's success. Also, Hillwalker, who couldn't attend this weekend, provided firewood. And Bfitz, when he wasn't otherwise engaged doing unorthodox things with bronze sculptures, provided propane space heaters that probably kept several folks alive during the weekend, as outside temps dropped to around 5 below.

Who else?

Well, E-Z provided staff beverages, as did Matty and Big John. Bobcat proved to be something of a surprise whiz as a baker (the key element to Trashgiving is spelled P-I-E); and I can't really say enough about Mad Hatter, who, among other things, provided a surfeit of turkey and gravy which pretty much encompasses what Trashgiving is all about, in addition to staying outside supervising the deep fryer. His dedication to this task resulted in three things: Really kickass turkey; no trips to the emergency room with scalded dinner guests; and most important, we didn't burn down the house, which after all, wasn't ours to burn. Thanx Hatter!!

And lastly, of course, there's Jonathan, i.e Packrat, who runs Hikers Welcome hostel in Glencliff, who let fifty scurvy wretches take over his home for four days without his actually being there, which is pretty amazing if you think about it. I'd like to think we left the place looking pretty good.

In short, we had a wonderful time this past weekend, and it couldn't have happened without help from all sorts of folks. Thanks to all who contributed (some of whom didn't even attend!); thanx to all attendees who helped out; thanx even to those who attended and didn't help out worth a damn (you know who you are, and more to the point, so do we!). Next time, wash a spoon or two or take three seconds to thank your hosts before leaving; this goes a long way, especially if you plan to abscond with 16 pounds of food.

Looking forward to seeing virtually all of you next year, either in Glencliff or a future location to be announced. But all things considered, this was the seventh year we've done this, and it went off just great, thanks to the efforts of all sorts of folks. Here's hoping everyone's Christmas season is a good one, and we'll look forward to seeing many of you at the next Billville event, the annual Doyle Winter Warmer, tentatively scheduled for early March in Duncannon.

See ya in 13 weeks.

Images

it's first time i've missed trashgiving in a couple of years and i'm sorry i did.

glad you all had fun, i'm looking forward to the warmer.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy

One o' these years, I'll have to make it up for Trashgiving.

As 'twas, I had the Philly Grotto* Christmas party, but more importantly, my brother's birthday...

*I'm on the Board; it's kind of obligatory.

Wow, Jack. If I thought cherry cheesecake could have such an impact, I'd be quitting my job and going into the baking business. Glad you enjoyed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Mom View Post
    Wow, Jack. If I thought cherry cheesecake could have such an impact, I'd be quitting my job and going into the baking business. Glad you enjoyed.
    Oh your cheesecake does have the power. You should be a pro baker. Amazing!

Images

Hey Jack: Sorry I didn't get to return in the a.m for breakfast, with the impending snow we needed to get over 112 to 302 before it hit. Was really nasty over the pass, and again after Gray in Maine and the rest of the way home. Lots of cars off the turnpike...guess they couldn't read "45mph" on the flashing signs. We couldn't get out of the 40mph most the way home.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++