WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Western Mountaineering Kodiak

I'm looking for a zero degree bag and the Kodiak seems like a fantastic bag but I'm concerned about the width. I'm like 5' 8" 130lbs.

The website says this: "Wasn't it the Big and Tall Gazzette, that called our Kodiak the XL (or excel?) of sleeping bags? This 0° mummy bag has a full 66" of shoulder girth and 41" of foot girth to fit any bear sized person".

This makes me think this bag is way too wide for me. What do you guys think?

Any suggestions? I do have 2 Montbells that I like, so that may be a better way to go.

Images

It might be too much room for you. Some people like a lot of wriggle room though. I like a bag a snug enough to warm up quickly, but not feel tight. I have the WM Antelope with over fill and love it. Less then 3 lbs in a long with the overfill.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

The Kodiak comes in 3 different lengths, so there should be some differnce in the widths, as well. I think that the shorter one is around 5'9".

Images

Yeah but my experience with WM bags is to go with the longer bag -- so if you might fit in a short, get the regular.

The Kodiak is a big, roomy, bag with huge amounts of down. It might be a bit large for you -- the Montbell zero-F bag might be a better choice.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I suggest that you go with the Antelope either with overfill at 2*F or without overfill at 5*F or the Lynx at -10*F
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I say it will swallow you to the extent that it would be quite conterproductive. That is far too much air space for you to try to heat up. I'm with Egads, The antelope is a narrow bag with MUCH less volume for you...the lighter bag would actually keep you warmer due to the better fit. And the plus side...cheaper and lighter!

Images

Might want to check out this ebay seller. I recently purchased a Montbell SuperStretch 0 from him. Haven't had a chance to test it out, but it is very comfortable and has GREAT reviews. This seller will list whatever model you want if you contact him. He quotes his prices for the various models within his item description. Probably not the absolute cheapest, but good deals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-MontBell-Super-Strech-UL-Sleeping-Bag-0-LONG_W0QQitemZ190264349494QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSleep ing_Gear?hash=item190264349494&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1 4&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A 1318

Just wanted to offer this alternative.

Edit: Just did a quick check, looks like Backcountry Gear offers this bag cheaper. Didn't figure shipping tho'. Guess you'd have to shop around.

++ New Posts ++