WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    If anyone is in touch with the family, please send along complete information here so those who wish can send a card.

Thanks.
    I was just getting ready to post the same thing.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

All of my prayers and best wishes go out to TDS. He's a good man, and a strong, determaned man. This sucks.........but I'm betting he'll fight through it!
    Get well soon, and best of luck to you!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Images

From all your comments, I wish I could say I have met TDS. Regardless, my best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery TDS!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    If anyone is in touch with the family, please send along complete information here so those who wish can send a card.

Thanks.

Stan & Suzy
    Wm. Stan Bivin, CFP®
    President, Bivin & Associates, Inc.
    Reg. Principal, AIG Financial Advisors
    P.O. Box 510
    Ponca City, OK 74602-0510

Thanks Mary, that was a very nice post. I don't know Jason, but my heart and thoughts go out to him with compassion, and for his parents. What a great support team he has there
    ad astra per aspera

Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

thanks for the post Lion King. I don't know this person but he sounds like a miracle and quite lucky to me already. He seems to have many REAL friends who do care and some of us who care not knowing him at all. I will pray for him as well ... hopefully he will be able to see while recovering all the nice things everyone said to keep his POSITIVE outlook up and 'never giving up' .. but taking it ONE DAY AT A TIME Blessings to him, his family and all his friends and acquaintances (whether he knows he had them or not)

Thank you, Lion King

Newest TDS Update

10/31

Good morning.

Yesterday morning Jason was taken back to surgery to do a further evaluation, cleaning and dressing of his severely damaged left ankle and foot. Doctors had also thought they might operate on his right ankle/foot to put some bones back in place. However, there were some skin issues on the right foot and doctors decided not to invade the foot until the skin looked better to avoid infection. No decision has been made on the left ankle/foot, but circulation seems to be improving.

Jason returned from the OR around 9:00am and spent the day resting. Through the night he was apparently comfortable, but did spike a little temperature. We are told that is not uncommon and they are dealing with it. For now there are no surgeries planned for today, but things change minute by minute. He is wheeled in and out for CT Scans, etc., and machinery is coming and going during the day for other tests. The doctors and support team are so dialed in to the smallest details. They react very quickly to any variable outside of very narrow ranges. It is an understatement so say this team is impressive.

We will continue to report as best we can. Again, we apologize for not being able to respond to all emails and calls.

Stan & Suzy

Images

My prayers to tds and his family, tds is a great guy....any updates?
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

woops didn't see the second page, thanks hungus for keeping us updated
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Newest TDS Update...This sucks so so so so so much =*(

I just got off the phone with his father. I told him how the entire AT community is keeping Jason in our thoughts and prayers and how we appreciate his emails. His father says that there is not much we can do for Jason now as he is still heavily medicated. He will definitely need all of our support when he wakes. According to the doctors, this might be as soon as one week, depending on how well his left ankle takes the amputation. The doctors have been partially waking him up over the last few days to check reflexes and such. Stan said that at one point Jason opened his eyes. Stan tried to communicate to Jason by asking him to blink and he did. So he knows his family is there with him...

11/2

It's been a week since Jason arrived in the Trauma ICU at OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City. He sustained serious injuries in an automobile accident on I-35 north of the city. Since his arrival here he has been in and out of surgery frequently.

So, it wasn't a complete surprise, but no one could have been prepared for the news Friday that Jason was getting much sicker. His left leg was not getting better, but rather getting worse and making the rest of his body sick too. About 3:00pm doctors told Suzy that Jason had to go to surgery and the sick foot had to be removed. She said signing that form was the toughest thing she ever had to do. She was by herself at the hospital, because I had made a trip to Ponca City to sign checks and get some clothes. By the time I returned to the city, Jason was back in his room. Within an hour after surgery, he looked markedly better. He has continued to improve through the weekend. Sunday afternoon he went back to surgery to have the leg cleaned and evaluated. A young Dr. Judd, MD, told us that the team had evaluated the leg, cleaned the wound and rebandaged it. He told us that they may be able to finalize the amputation early this week if no further deterioration occurs.

Because Jason is being assisted by a ventilator, and because he has remained sedated he has had some issues with his lungs, but seems to doing better now and is responding to treatments.

On Saturday he also had another CT Scan to confirm his pelvis surgery and to look at the internals. It appears that most of the internal bleeding has diminished.

Jason still has a right ankle/foot needing repairs, a broken jaw to fix and the tracheostomy in advance of the jaw.

We appreciate the well wishes and prayers of so many folks who have reached out to us and Jason. We are also very thankful for the emergency response from Guthrie EMTs, the Flight Ambulance team that air lifted him from the interstate and the remarkable response from the emergency and trauma teams at the OU Medical Center. This place really is special.

This is so very sad. I continue to pray for Jason and his family. I pray that God will continue to give them the strength to deal with all of this. And that Jason will have the strength and will to bounce back with the same desire, determination and love that he has always had.

Images

I met Jason in November of '07. We were both hiking south and stayed at the same shelter several times through MA and CT. He shared stories of his adventures on the paddling trip earlier that summer and I had many questions for him about the PCT.

This is an awful thing to happen, and I have tears in my eyes reading about his left foot. I have been checking this thread several times a day for any updates, hoping for the best.

I keep thinking about what it will be like for him to finally wake up and discover what has happened.

Images

I don't even know what to write...... I just hope that he continues to keep up the strength that I know he has in him.
    All my warmest wishes and prayers.

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...

I personally don't know Jason, but will keep him in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Though the thought of amputation is sad, two feet do not a hiker make. And his left foot isn't my favorite part of TDS anyway. So goodbye to the foot? Fine. Here's hoping for a complete recovery of his spirit, his character, his humor, and the love and enjoyment of life apparent to anyone who's ever met him.

You're in my thoughts, TDS. We're all pulling for you.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Though the thought of amputation is sad, two feet do not a hiker make. And his left foot isn't my favorite part of TDS anyway. So goodbye to the foot? Fine. Here's hoping for a complete recovery of his spirit, his character, his humor, and the love and enjoyment of life apparent to anyone who's ever met him.

You're in my thoughts, TDS. We're all pulling for you.
    very well said

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder View Post
    very well said
    Ditto

Images

Best to TDS and his family. We are thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++