WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Latest from TDS Dad
    ==========

We think we got our miracle!

Thursday, Jason moved from the ICU to the Trauma recovery floor at the OU Medical Center. By Friday most of the tubes were gone, and when I returned Saturday morning to relieve Suzy a respiratory therapist was removing his tracheostomy!

Jason is now only receiving some nutrition by tube at night. Since his jaw is still wired, and will be for several more weeks, he gets medicines also through the PEG.

The remarkable thing is that doctors are telling us Jason may be going to Valir inpatient rehab any day.....which could mean any minute!

His improvement has been so dramatic in just a few days, that were it not for some obvious physical changes and the wired jaw, Jason would seem almost back to normal. He is talking, joking and listening with great interest to details about the past month. Although he will be doing some rehab for his brain, as well as his body, he seems remarkably cognizant of his surroundings, his visitors and his fortunate outcome. Surely the many prayers offered on his behalf have served to help him survive this tragic accident.

The facts at the moment are that Jason is making a remarkable recovery, and the improvements are happening very quickly. The next few weeks will be challenging as he works to regain strength and learns how to move about independently, but we have no doubt that he will meet the challenge.

Thanks again to the doctors and staff at the OU Medical Center. Wow!

Stan & Suzy

[QUOTE=Lion King;729589]
    Latest from TDS Dad
    ==========

We think we got our miracle!

Great to hear

Great news! Rehab is tough so will keep him in my prayers.

Awesome news. You go TDS! The will is a powerful thing. I will continue to pray for Jason. Please send my love to him, Stan & Suzy.

Yay!
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Yippee !! that is SO terrific .. hiker trash.. that resilency is shining thru.

Images

so cool, so glad to hear this last update!
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Happy Thanksgiving, and to be sure, we have much to be thankful for.

Jason changed residences from the OU Medical Center to Valir Rehab Hospital on Monday and immediately began the work of getting strength back so that he can regain his independence. For the next couple of months he will have to stay in a wheelchair keeping weight from bearing on his pelvis injury. He will continue to rehab his legs and upper body, but he has been told that he cannot take any chances until his pelvis has had enough time to fully heal. No matter how strong or well he feels, he has to stay seated or on his back. (Valir Rehab Hospital is part of the OU Medical system.)

Jason has lost a little weight from his normal weight, as he can only drink his meals, with his jaw wired shut. He has lost a lot of weight from his peak in the ICU when he looked like an NFL lineman. For his jaw to heal, he will be in lock down for another three weeks or so, then slightly restained for some period after that, so his choices have to fit through a straw, for now. The menu that he is working up for the celebration is grand!

Jason got visits from his sisters Amy and Lori, and nieces Claire and Sarah, this week as well as some friends. He had to answer some tough questions from the little girls as they wondered about his foot. He handled the questions wonderfully, and seems to be dealing with his injuries as one who is greatful to still be with us. He is optimistic and in fact adamant that he won't be down for long. Claire and Sarah are hopeful they will get to take a ride in the wheelchair with him soon.

We expect that Jason will continue to rehab for another week or two then return to his home to wait out the healing of his pelvis. Some time after the first of the year he will go back to OKC for more rehab and to begin the process of fitting his prothesis. He will learn to do many things all over again, but he seems to look forward to those challenges.

Through this whole ordeal, Suzy and I believed Jason would be OK, but we never imagined he would be this strong and this positive, this early. Clearly the inner strength it must take to conquer long distance hiking and climbing mountains, is serving him well now. We are sure there is a reason why he enjoyed his big adventures when he did, and we are so glad he completed these treks.

He says he is ready to get back to work, and we're ready to have him.

Hi Stan & Suzy,

I am so happy for you and for Jason!!!! This is TREMENDOUS news. As a fellow parent, I can only imagine what it was like for you during the last month. I have been praying daily for Jason and also for you two. I will continue to do so. Looking forward to future posts with continued success for Jason in his recovery and rehabilitation.
    Trillium

Images

Such good news. So glad to hear how well Jason is doing.
    Tortuga GA-ME '05

That is awesome. I am so glad glad he is doing better. keep up the good work tds.

Images

Thumbs up

I'm very glad to hear this progress.

Please tell him that Rain Man and Grass wish him well. Thanks!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank the Lord for answered prayer. TDS sounds like quite a man. His inner strength and resilient character are shining through. I can't wait to meet him on the AT. I'll continue to keep TDS in my prayers. The support shown here has been wonderful.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Wow!!!! SO glad to hear this!!!!

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

10 Dec Update

If you haven't had an update for awhile and you thought we dropped you, please forgive.

Quite unexpectedly and certainly much sooner than we thought possible, Jason was sent home this past Saturday, to rest and get ready for the next round. He had learned how to move himself from bed to wheelchair, from wheelchair to bed, shower, etc., and Valir Rehab believed it was time to get him out of the hospital environment. He was ready!

Suzy and I had to learn how to be medication nurses and how to deliver his regimen four times a day and more. Most of the meds are still given through his PEG (feeding tube) because his jaw is still wired shut for a couple more weeks. His diet of soups, broths, health shakes, Ensure, Gatorade, milk shakes, water, etc. can be taken by mouth, through his industrial strength braces. Pills won't slide through, so they have to be crushed and absorbed in juice and given through the PEG.

Jason's legs seem to be healing nicely, but he still has considerable pain. And, not being able to use his legs to get from place to place makes even the most routine movement a big deal. Folks who loose the use of their lower extremities permanently or even temporarily as Jason has, must learn to slide their rear from one chair to another across an oak board largely dependent on upper body strength. They also have to hope that nothing moves so they don't fall and do further damage. Jason, who is used to doing things quickly and on his own terms is now having to think ahead and slow down a little. He is really looking forward to the time when he is not restricted because of his pelvis injury.

Although Jason is home, and more comfortable in his own home, his routine is very restrictive. For the next few weeks he will probably not be able to have many visitors. He requires more sleep, and his routine is important to maintain. It is also very difficult for him to even respond to calls or knocks at the door. Unless Suzy or I happen to be with him, he might not even be able to get to the door.

Thursday we head back to OKC to do follow-up meetings with doctors, and another round of x-rays and tests. The following week Jason will have his mouth "unwired", just in time for Christmas goodies. He's beginning to look a little thin, so the timing is just right.

We don't know for sure, but we think the next round of rehab, in which he will learn to walk using a walker and crutches, is likely to begin in late January or early February. Soon after we expect he will begin working with a prosthetist to develop a plan for his new leg and foot.
    Recently when Jason was asked about the loss of his foot, he quickly replied, "oh...no problem, the foot was very high mileage (7,000 miles in the past three years) and I didn't like the foot that much anyway!"

Jason appreciates your well wishes and prayers, as do we.

(From Lion King post #81)
    Surely the many prayers offered on his behalf have served to help him survive this tragic accident.
    (It's the One who answers the prayers that makes the difference).
    Wonderful news. Thanks for the update.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Recently when Jason was asked about the loss of his foot, he quickly replied, "oh...no problem, the foot was very high mileage (7,000 miles in the past three years) and I didn't like the foot that much anyway!"

What a trooper!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default You Go, TDS

This is such a great update. Those of you that know me will not be surprised to know that tears of joy are rolling down my face as I am laughing at the same time. TDS, you are the man! Love you always and will continue to keep you in my prayers.
    You know, the trail family is an awesome one. And no matter how far apart we are at the moment, or how we are associated with the trails, we are a strongly bonded family. I am so thankful my path in life led me to the hiker family.
    GO TDS!!!! YOU CAN, YOU WILL!!!!

Just found this thread today so I'm coming in a little late in wishing you, TDS, a speedy recovery. You've got a great attitude that I know will aid in the process. Much hiker love to you - and happy holidays! - Persistent

Images

Hey TDS, Certain here...we met back in 2007 (I was w/Persistent). Man, I am SO glad you are SO strong and have survived this. When I last saw you on the, you had decided to stealth camp literally on a cliff side because you wanted to watch the sunrise in the morning. You keep taking it one day at a time....just like hiking, and you'll be up and about soon enough. You are in my thoughts. ~Certain
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++