WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My heart goes out to TDS and my prayers for him to the God of all mercies. I pray that he will view his second chance at life, and every new day as a gift from God, and magnify that above his suffering and loss.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

From everything I have read in this incredibly heart wrenching story this man is of good character, faith, and friend. I don't personally know TDS but wish him a fast recovery. You that know him well please keep him in your thoughts and help him when he needs you the most. Which will be very soon.

"Do not walk in front of me, for I will not follow you. Do not walk behind me, for I will not lead you. Walk beside me, and be my friend."

TDS has stayed with me many times and Rain Man has been keeping me informed. My own son was critically injured in an accident just over a year ago and I know how hard this is on everyone. Modern medicine is great but watching a loved one in a coma and on life-sustaining machinery is very difficult. We were able to tap into the holistic healers who volunteered at Albany Med and they worked every day with Jeremy. On a Saturday, I was told he would be on life support for at least 2 more months but the very next day my son pulled all his tubes and lines and was climbing out of bed within 2 hours. He was discharged just 2 days after coming out of the coma. TDS is strong and willfull and I have no doubt he is a fighter. Two summers ago, we hosted an AT SOBO who was hiking with no feet on prosthetic limbs. Anything is possible. There is something we can all do--send our love and prayers, which are very powerful healers. And TDS does know what is going on, even though he is in a coma, of this I am sure.

I have fond memories of TDS from the AT in '05. I'll be thinking of him and hoping for his full recovery. Best wishes to him and to his friends and family that will help him get better.
    thanks for sending the email, Trail Angel Mary.
    -- SlapHappy
    SlapHappy
    GA -> ME '05

Quote Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
    I have fond memories of TDS from the AT in '05. I'll be thinking of him and hoping for his full recovery. Best wishes to him and to his friends and family that will help him get better.
    thanks for sending the email, Trail Angel Mary.
    -- SlapHappy
    No problem slap happy. I figured his fellow hikers from 05 and 07 would want to know. I hope that if you are still in contact with any other 05ers that you forwarded the email. I sent to any 05 & 07ers who wrote email addresses in my register. Some came back as undeliverable.

Images

I forwarded a link to this thread along to his folks along with a message that his "hiker family' was out here pulling for him and his "real family".
    What? Me worry??

Images

Hey All, got this message earlier this evening from TDS' dad...

Thanks for the info Ryan. We appreciate all that Jason's friends are doing to support him. Please report to your friends that Jason is not in a Coma, but rather intentially sedated as doctors complete surgeries that he needs.
    What? Me worry??

Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

after reading a few posts, it made me think that on documentaries and even in the VA system where I also go; that there are one legged snow skiers, leggless runners (with prostetics of course) and even swimmers .... so in my 'positive' realm ... I think a hiker isn't far behind and why not with the right positive backers, prosthetics and real friends who encourage rather than say ... gee can't do that any longer ... just a thought. But I am a dreamer who just never gives up! On myself or others.

Images

oh and even rock climbers in snow to beat it all!

If anyone watched the show Everest they would have seen that guy, forget his name, but he was the first double amputee to climb Mt. Everest. Amputated right above both knees I believe, he struggled but he did it.

BUT, I don't know TDS and I won't judge him at all, but he should come out of this and like people say go right back to what he was doing after some rehabilitation. BUT, sometimes these events often take life changing courses and he might need to go in another direction in life for a while. Remember, give the encouragement, be the support, but he is the decision maker.

Good luck man, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Images

Everest was the show I saw that guy on. I don't know TDS either but from these other posts sound like he has good spirit and friends I volunteer with disabled and other organizations when able myself so I know what it takes ... mental IS most of the battle. This guy is going through soooo much and will have a lot to go through when he is recovering and in physical therapy. I can't stress enough how much the mental aspect will make THE #1 difference But he has my support and I don't know him personally To his family if there is anything I can do to bring up spirits, or help in some other way later on ... I shall do my very best even if only by phone

Default Keeping him in my prayers

The road to recovery can be/will be long. In 2004, just a month and three days after my husband and I bought our house, my husband was up in a tree cutting a tree branch down when he became over heated and passed out. He fell 52 feet and landed on his back. He too was life flighted to a level one trauma center 80 miles away. His diagnosis: a T-8 & 9 spinal cord injury (midway down his back) which has left him wheelchair bound. He was a police officer.

We are 4 years later. He has made a remarkable recovery and still continues to do so. He can move his feet and be somewhat weight bearing. However, it is doubtful he will ever be completely free from dependancy on his wheelchair.

In 2011, I will Thru-hike the first time ever. Although he would love to come with me, he will not be able too. So I will hike the AT for both of us. He has made himself a part of my thru-hike though, he is my biggest fan, driving force and researcher for equipment for me. He helps me plan my hikes now and is always searching for gear. He has taken it upon himself to research every aspect of the upcoming hike from recipes, food, maildrops, etc. I couldn't do this without him. When I am out on the trail, I always know that he is there in spirit with me and never more than a phone call away.

My advice to you, keep your chin up and remain totally focused on recovery and not what is going on today. Jason will fair so well from it. My husband and I's prayers are with you and your family.

I understand that TDS is not in an accident induced coma but when medically sedated as he is it is considered a medically induced coma, which enables the healing process and reduces the stress caused by intubation, surgery, etc.

Best wishes and prayers go out to TDS, his family, and his friends.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Our prayers are with you TDS... met you in ME in Oct 05.....

Newest Update...

11/5

Today we are waiting. Jason is scheduled to go to surgery for a tracheostomy and surgery on the jaw. The airway appliance is necessary since his jaw will be wired shut for some time, and it is not practical to try to keep the vent tube in the mouth for extended periods.

Yesterday afternoon doctors placed a PEG in Jason's stomach. The device allows for feeding directly into the stomach and allows for the removal of the nose feeding tube. Eventually he will be able to eat some of his favorites by emulsifying them and then squirting the liquid into his mouth with a syringe. He seems to tolerate these procedures very well, and we are told that his care will improve with the addition of the PEG and the Tracheostomy.

Suzy was present this morning for an examination of the right ankle/foot. The foot still has some blistering and skin abrasions and they will wait for a time before working on that one. She was told that he would pick up some more hardware in that surgery.

Dr. Kalra, MD Anesthesiologist just visited in preparation for the jaw surgery. He anticipates Jason will be in surgery within a half hour or so, and back in the room before 5pm.

We will let you know the progress here, soon.

I met him in 05. he is very funny and super nice. I camped with him on a rainy night and he kept me laughing til I fell asleep. i rememeber thinking, " I don't want to fall asleep ! "....cuz i was enjoying his company. Keep fighting tds...the Cdt beckons in your heart.

My boy lost a leg but he will stay strong I know.

I hate to have finished the ADT yesterday and the first email I got was from his father and reading that he lost his leg was heat breaking, but as Jester said, it wasnt my favorite part of TDS.

He is a great guy with a giant heart and a way of making anyone laugh.

We are here for you Jason, but you know that.

Today's Update

11/6

As reported last night, Jason went to surgery, but later than expected. It took about 3 1/2 hours to install his tracheostomy, rebuild his jaw and to clean and do additional preparation on the amputation wound on the left leg. He returned to the room around 8:30pm and we were able to see him around 9:00pm. He did well last night and looks good this morning.

We understand that the tracheostomy was necessary to allow the jaw surgery and to improve his airway supply and lung treatments. It also makes the process of weaning him off the ventilator easier as his treatment continues.

Jason's jaw was fractured lower left center, and was repaired with some expensive hardware. there is minimal swelling and no evidence of the surgery, as it was accomplished through an incision inside his mouth. With the jaw repair the upper and lower jaw is wired in place using an appliance that keeps it properly positioned for healing. He will enjoy perfect jaw position for about six weeks, like it or not. I'm guessing the "not".

Finally, the orthopedic team made a few additional revisions to his left leg amputation, and then thoroughly cleaned the wound. We would expect they will do the final revision in a matter of days. They continue to wait to repair the right ankle/foot, until the skin condition improves.
    He could also need some work on his right knee.

This morning, Jason is resting easily and does not seem to be having any difficulty with yesterday's surgeries. His generally strong condition has served him well through this difficult period.

As grave as his condition has been, clearly Jason has been very fortunate, thus far. He has done better than many do in these circumstances, but he still has some hard work ahead, rehabbing his body so he can get back to work.

In recent months Jason has renewed his friendship with Kyle Hibbetts who, with his wife Nikki, went through a similar trial not long ago. He was deeply effected by what Kyle and Nikki endured and we spoke about it several times. Because he had those conversations with Kyle, I'm sure he will be better equipped for his own recovery.

We hope he gets to rest today. He needs a day off.

Thank you for caring.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++