Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Dog Food Resupply

How do you resupply your dog's food when on a thru hike? Do all of the stores sell dog food? It seems you have to buy a 5 pound bag and that is an awful lot to carry unless you break it up into smaller conatiners? If you do this what/how do you accomplish this?

I can't comment on how easy it is to locate dog food while thruhiking. but I can say with ziplock/freezer bags it can easily be broken down and divided among the baggies. the bags can be reused until they get a hole in them. and depending on how big your dog is will determine how much s/he needs to eat and how much you need to buy, and if the dog can carry some of it's food.
    We are asleep with compasses in our hands.

It is very easy to resupply. Most stores have some sort of pet food. My dog carried a full 5 lbs of dry food in his pack and that lasted four days. Every time we saw civilization, I bought him high calorie treats like cans of dog food, cans of cat food, or hot dogs. Cat food is easier to find, comes in 2 lb boxes, and is a bit higher in fat than dog food.

My dog also got tons of trail magic. I tied him outside of restaurants when I went in to eat and he is just so darn cute, the waitress or chef would often offer him meat scraps.

The trail was good for him. After our 6 week section, I brought him to the vet and she was very impressed with his lean body and big muscles. He is a cattle dog, built for extreme exercise. Not every dog is right for the trail.

Images

You want to be carefull with cat food for dogs, I know that the protien is higher, but there is often more taurine in there that can be bad for a dogs eyes, joints and other body functions. But the hot dog thing is a great way to go.

My concern is that I refuse to feed the grocery store brands of so called dog food that contain ingredients that are foul, and disgusting. The holistic foods that I feed are only available at pet stores (which is where I am employed). I don't know how available these will be along the trail.
    -clicker

Images

A fellow hiking SOBO in 2006 ended up needing to feed his dog special dog food for working dogs. (The dog was losing weight before the switch to that kind of food.) Special dog food isn't available in most grocery stores. He had someone mail it to him.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

........Zeus normally takes along Purina 1 "puppy" chow...most chain stores carry Purina 1, so a regular diet can be maintained.... as mentioned...use the zip lock bags.....tral magic & franks are all kool, as long as the basic (chow) is also eaten daily.....

I asked my vet and she told me that cat food for dogs on the trail is perfectly fine. In fact, she said I should feed him kitten chow because it is higher in calories.

After I got home, I switched back to puppy chow.

I dont generally listen to vet recommendations on food, their area of study is body, not how the body breaks down the matterials that enter it. thats why most vets sell science diet, they really dont know whats good.

Images

Thanx for all of the good information. I won't tell Rocco he is eating cat food as he would probably rather have the cat.

I am going to have him carry most of his food. I am working slowly with him so he can carry 5 pounds which is my goal for him. I also planned on zip locking the food into individual meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rouen View Post
    I dont generally listen to vet recommendations on food, their area of study is body, not how the body breaks down the matterials that enter it. thats why most vets sell science diet, they really dont know whats good.
    On the contrary, two years of physiology are required, not including whatever was taken while an undergrad. What is your area of academic specialization?

Default Dog Food Resupply

When Winter and I first started the AT I was going to give her some super duper dog food all the way that her vet recommended. I was having it sent to us in the post offices. The food was fine...I tasted it. The problem was connecting with the dog food as we hiked. I gave up on the post office and resupplied along the trail. I tried to keep using the same brand...purina, I think. It wasn't always available. One time all I could get was cans of dog food. Winter was never a chow hound. She's been closer to spoiled. I carried sardines, beef jerky...what ever treat I could find that got Winter eating. We usually shared the treats. There's always something that you can get for your dog to keep going. I only put 3 days food into Winters pack. The rest I carried in my pack or bounced it forward. Any dog food that your dog won't eat you can eat with beer at a town stop.

Images

No catfood!!!! Not good for them. You can buy dog food almost the whole way along the trail.
    You should also buy some meat for them along the way - remeber that you dont want to cook it, warm it up over a fire if you like but keep it raw.
    Also when in town, buy 2 wet cans and toss them in a zip lock bag, feed them to him/her that night or by the next morning if its hot out. this will help them also.

I carried about 6lbs of food for my dog between town stops, they eat a lot! You cant skimp on them - they are out there because of you.

Have fun!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheKO View Post

I am going to have him carry most of his food. I am working slowly with him so he can carry 5 pounds which is my goal for him. I also planned on zip locking the food into individual meals.
    How large is your dog? remeber to add the weight of his pack and dog food to get a % of what he is supose to carry.

Images

Default re-supply

I'm just a section hiker, not a thru... BUT, my dog eats 150% of her normal diet when we're hiking... Plus whatever scraps I and fellow hikers pass her way...

I use a "premium" dry dog food that allows the same carbs and protein in a lesser volume than cheaper dog food. Unfortunately, its not available in grocery stores, just pet/feed stores. I put her dog food in zip lock bags in my food drops.

Not having thru-hiked with a dog, I generally stay away from the dog threads,but there's lots of "Re-Supply" information available at the "Articles" section of this website, including a lengthy piece on where one can shop, how many days it takes to get from place to place, etc.

With VERY few exceptions, places on the Trail where humans re-supply will also sell pet food; the Article in question will also point out the places where it's best to have stuff mailed rather than relying on buying en route.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by clicker View Post
    You want to be carefull with cat food for dogs, I know that the protien is higher, but there is often more taurine in there that can be bad for a dogs eyes, joints and other body functions. But the hot dog thing is a great way to go.

My concern is that I refuse to feed the grocery store brands of so called dog food that contain ingredients that are foul, and disgusting. The holistic foods that I feed are only available at pet stores (which is where I am employed). I don't know how available these will be along the trail.

I read this and wonder - Don't finish your plate and give him or her the leftover bones.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Not having thru-hiked with a dog, I generally stay away from the dog threads,but there's lots of "Re-Supply" information available at the "Articles" section of this website, including a lengthy piece on where one can shop, how many days it takes to get from place to place, etc.

With VERY few exceptions, places on the Trail where humans re-supply will also sell pet food; the Article in question will also point out the places where it's best to have stuff mailed rather than relying on buying en route.
    That's good information. I wish I'd had that in 2000.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

blackwood 2000
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    On the contrary, two years of physiology are required, not including whatever was taken while an undergrad. What is your area of academic specialization?
    Environmental science, I never claimed to be an expert on canine nutrition. I was just pointing out that someone who sells and recommends science diet as a top of the line diet for dogs has no clue as to what a good food is, and someone who suggests cat food, which kills more cats than anyone cares to think about, probly shouldn't be giving dietary advice.

My dog is on a "special" (hypoallergenic) diet - I discovered the hard way that she develops ear infections on run-of-the-mill dog food (and my vet confirmed that this can be a sign of a food allergy). So, she'll carry some of her food and so will I, and we'll have to do it by mail drop. I hate experimenting on what she can or can't eat by seeing if she develops a painful ear infection - since I've found what works for her, I'm staying with it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++