WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default backpacking stove input needed

I'm looking to purchase a backpacking stove that is ultralight, good at cold and hot temperatures, high and low altitudes, and its fuel is easy to get a resupplies in the US and internationally (especially Taiwan). I'm also hoping to minimize the cost as much as possible.
    What do you suggest, both in terms of the type and a specific stove (make/model).

Darwin
    [email protected]

Images

Darwin, I can't remember the name of the stove (I'm sure that someone else here will remember it for me), but there is a pressurized, multi-fuel stove that burns kerosene. I would suggest a kerosene-burning stove since kerosene is - in some parts of the world - more readily available than gasoline, LP, or propane, and pressurized stoves (in general) will work better at altitude and in colder temperatures than other stoves.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

I think the cannister stoves are the best way to go. I have faith in my pocket rocket and fuel has never been an issue. Most of your equipment was made in china too or somewhere else so they'll be available their too.

I'm going to throw the MSR Whisperlight Intl out there just as a starter. Bombproof and meets all the requirements except weight. Depends on how sensitive you are.

http://www.rei.com/product/709000

I just started using a Jetboil but not in temps below 40F so I can't comment on it.

No experience with alcohol but lots of people on the board do.

Look at the Optimus Nova multi fuel stove---I have one, but have limited use with only white gas. It is a good design though. I know they sell it at REI.

Dittos on the MSR whisperlite International....will burn many different fuels. Could try an alcohol stove too, just need to know the Chinese characters for denatured alcohol or for high proof liquor!!!

Images

Default SS StarLyte UltraLyte alcohol stove

Read all about the lightweight, inexpensive, comes with a inovative EZ fold windscreen, the SS StarLyte UltraLyte alcohol stove.

Tin can, add twigs.

Just joking a bit.
    You will need a multi fuel stove, I know white gas handles cold at least down to -40* which is why I use it, and can handle altitudes above 20,000'
    I'm not sure about auto gas, kerosene, and such.
    I would pick a MSR Whisperlite Intl. or something similar.

Canister stoves are a no-no for international travel.
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

Images

You might have trouble traveling with a used multi-fuel stove, too. A friend of mine had his Whisperlite confiscated by TSA when he tried to fly with it.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Aluminum can + 10 minutes of your time for research and development = Free 1/2 oz soda can stove. Pick up HEET or Denatured Alcohol, or isopropyl or some 101 Wild Turkey when arriving at your destination. Enjoy

Images

I don't know about Taiwan in particular, but in many foreign countries it is quite easy to buy high-proof ethanol, cheaply.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Alcohol is definitely an option for traveling, grain alcohol is easy to get in most places.
    From my own experience though, alcohol does not do well in cold, high elevation destinations, & canisters must be kept warm somehow in cold climates which is why white gas/multi fuel stoves are generally the best pick for the guidelines the OP gave.

I fully realize they are not the optimum pick for thru hiking the AT and I do not use one for hiking the AT, but it is the best choice for International travel in hot & cold climates at both low and high elevations which is what the OP asked.

Ask any mountaineer how well alcohol stoves work in very cold temps.
    On the AT great!
    Burn it... drink it.... go for it!
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

Images

Given your requirements, one of the MSR liquid fuel stoves that can burn gasoline, white gas, and kerosene would work well. Hardly ultralight -- sorry -- but there isn't really an ultralight choice that meets your needs.

If you really need maximum fuel versatility, and you can spend a few bucks, this stove burns both liquid fuel (gasoline and white gas) and canister fuel:

http://www.rei.com/product/741669

Again, hardly lightweight. And you'll have trouble flying with any stove these days.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I guess my suggestion would be a home made alcohol for most of the time, and a Whisperlite International (or similar) for those times when it may be needed. As in most cases, trying to get one piece of equipment to serve too many situations will result in major compromises. Why carry a heavy gas-powered stove 100% of the time when it may only be needed 25% of the time? On the other hand, when it is needed, then carry it. Especially in this case, the light-weight option represents no additional cost, and minimal effort.

I guess I'm confused by the "ask any mountaineer" statement. I've used a lot of stove types over the years and BY FAR the cheapest, simplest, most reliable is the alcohol stove. And I would suspect that it is the easiest to travel with as well.

But it seems like it always takes awhile for newbies to "discover" alcohol. They have to own a few other stoves first.

http://mysite.verizon.net/restoq6v/index.html - a little information you might find useful.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    Aluminum can + 10 minutes of your time for research and development = Free 1/2 oz soda can stove. Pick up HEET or Denatured Alcohol, or isopropyl or some 101 Wild Turkey when arriving at your destination. Enjoy
    I'm not hiking with you if you drink all the fuel!

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    I guess I'm confused by the "ask any mountaineer" statement. I've used a lot of stove types over the years and BY FAR the cheapest, simplest, most reliable is the alcohol stove. And I would suspect that it is the easiest to travel with as well.

But it seems like it always takes awhile for newbies to "discover" alcohol. They have to own a few other stoves first.

http://mysite.verizon.net/restoq6v/index.html - a little information you might find useful.
    Uhhhmm, ....The guys I hang out with in very cold, high elevation trips do not like alcohol, it performs lousy, at best, under those circumstances. Again that was part of the OPs' criteria for stove options.

I have used alcohol stoves for years, and often opt for alcohol or wood stoves for my southern thru-hikes.
    Alcohol only guys need to think out of the box sometimes, they are not the best stoves for a lot of situations.
    But certainly you could easily own several stoves like I do and just pick the one best suited for your type of trip.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    I guess I'm confused by the "ask any mountaineer" statement.

Mountaineers (and winter campers) tend to need to melt a lot of snow. Something white gas is more efficient at. A little different than the "boil 2 cups of water and cook" most people (myself included) tend to do.

But, the poster wanted to know about multifuel. As Big Cranky said, you have to go with a "real" stove. Good luck getting it on airlines though. Sigh.

I've known people who bike toured in Europe with alcohol stoves, though as an FYI.

This link will help finding fuel internationally in terms of what to ask for:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/fuel/index.shtml#tableoffuelnames

Quote Originally Posted by trouthunter View Post
    But certainly you could easily own several stoves like I do and just pick the one best suited for your type of trip.
    What a concept! Bring the right tool for the right job. I mainly use an alcohol stove. But I also use a whitegas stove (less so as I don't winter camp as much) on occasion. For fuel availability reasons, I *may* take it on the Great Divide Trail (Canada) if I can swing doing it...

More info you may find useful (I should update it for international travel..hmm)
    http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...omparison.html
    Last edited by Mags; 11-05-2008 at 21:52.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Mags, thanks for those links.

I have been on only 4 cold, high elevation trips, so no expert here on mountaineering.
    On my first trip, I was told by the team leader, Chris, to go put my alcohol stove back in my truck. I had made that stove in my garage just for that trip, I have to admit I thought it was the cats meow, but alas, Chris was right!
    The guys let me carry an extra fuel bottle of white gas, since I didn't have to carry my stove and alcohol.
    They don't seem to miss a trick.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trouthunter View Post

I have been on only 4 cold, high elevation trips, so no expert here on mountaineering.

I am certainly no expert as well.

I have NEVER been over night mountaineering trip (a hard term to define. But, to me, mountaineering involves technical equipment like crampons and an ice axe. I've done limited daytime stuff in the Whites, but that was more walking than climbing. Anyway...)

But, I have done a fair amount of winter camping. Since, it was in Colorado, by default I guess it is high elevation.

In any case, melting all that snow with alcohol would not have been fun or efficient.

Of course, I've become a wimp and do backcountry hut trips now. Ski for 3 days, cook lots of great food at night, have some wine with friends. A dinner party with a ski trip attached.. Easier than being in a snow cave for 12+ hours....

(And is supposed to snow a lot in the high country this weekend! BREAK OUT THE SKIS!!!!!! WOO HOO!)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++