WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need to replace my compass

So I lost my trusty Brunton whilst on a section of the CDT in Colorado earlier this year, and need a replacement- Trouble is, like New Balance shoe models, they stopped making the one I really liked.

The Silva Ranger has always seemed the gold standard, but I hear that it's been cheaply redesigned recently, and most of the local outfitters only have cheapo toy compasses, so I'm limited as to what I can check out in person.

Reccomendations?

Images

http://www.suunto.com/

I use this and really like it. Easy to use, every feature I've needed, and I really like the sighting system. You look at the mirror that folds down and get your bearings, then aim down the glow in the dark sights a lot like a rifle. Got it as a gift so don't know how much it costs or where to get it though, but I believe REI may have carried it at one time and may still.

http://www.thecompassstore.com/baseplate-compasses.html

Pretty nice selection of pro and entry level compass systems. I don't think this place would sell junk.

High Bleach,

It should be noted that many things have changed since mass manufacture of compasses began.
    Some companies are name only companies now, they don't make their own compasses anymore, just like the boot industry.
    Suunto , Ranger, Brunton, & Nexus of NA are some good choices.
    Although Suunto makes the Silva Ranger, and Brunton & Nexus markets all the compasses actually made by Silva.

To be truthful all you need for basic navigation, either on or off trail, is the following:
    1. Map of your area.
    2. Baseplate compass.
    3. Watch, with hands.
    4. Altimeter

Since your post was compass related, I'll stick to that.

You do not need a sighting (mirror) compass, most people will get no better reading with a sighting compass than with a plain baseplate compass.
    The reason being is that a sighting compass must be placed on a flat, level, and stationary surface for the accuracy of the mirror to come into play.
    In the backcountry you will be holding the compass in your hand and you can point a baseplate as accurately as needed for backcountry travel, there is no need to spend the extra $$$ for a compass with a mirror.
    In fact, when the compass is placed on your map to draw or read bearings, the mirror will block your view of part of the map.

Obviously we do not know one another, but I have been thru hiking and bushwacking ( by map and compass) for 25 yrs. Early on I took classes in land nav. & have very experienced people who teach me to this day, including mountaineers and SAR guys.
    You will get a lot of advise on this subject, most of it from people who think they know a lot more than they really do.
    In short, take some classes, check with REI or your local Orienteering club which you can find with a couple quick Google searches.
    Get a good land nav. book and read it a couple times, take it with you because you will not remember everything until you have some experience.

Bleach, just get a simple $10 - $20 baseplate compass with "set and forget" declination, find out what the declination is in your area,and learn how to use your compass properly.
    yeah, I know the mirror compass can be used for signaling, or washing your face, ect.
    So buy a cheap mirror for that.

If you want any info on how to use a watch or altimeter for navigation just PM me.
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    http://www.thecompassstore.com/baseplate-compasses.html

Pretty nice selection of pro and entry level compass systems. I don't think this place would sell junk.
    I got the Silva Explorer ($20) shown in your link at Dick's Sporting Goods for $10, but I think they had it mis-priced. They had a bunch of 'Basics' and 'Explorers' intermingled on the same rack.

I really haven't ever found a need for a compass on the AT though, and for that reason never carry one. I got the Silva for Shinning Rock Wilderness!

Thanks for the input- Trouthunter, despite my age I have extensive experience with off-trail and technical navigation with map, compass and altimeter. I would agree that there are precious few circumstances in which a mirrored compass is helpful or remotely necessary, but the times I've used it it was REAL nice to have, and the characteristics of some areas I like hiking in AZ make it useful- Such as hiking in featureless terrain where bearings are taken from distant landmarks and it is essential to minimize error due to longer sight distance. For example, I've found with a sighting compass I can triangulate my position to an area about 1/3 the size of the area I would get using a standard baseplate compass when sighting long distances (Possibly because I'm nearsighted and my glasses affect my depth perception so I have a harder time sighting with a baseplate compass.) The extra 0.5 oz or however much weight the mirror adds is irrelevant to me, and because the baseplate of the compass is clear, the mirror doesn't appreciably restrict my view of my map.

I was mostly wondering about reputable manufacturers and you answered this question. Looking at the Silva Ranger CL right now. Thanks!

Hmmm, I don't know why you would come up with such huge discrepancies just by using a base plate, that usually is not a problem. As far as depth perception, it should be a wash, it would work against you either way. I too am near sighted and don't see why it would matter, either you can line the compass up, or you can't.

I have pulled 100 mile lines before with a baseplate and a sighting compass and the difference was negligible.
    Sighting compasses are most useful for pulling bearings off stars or other objects at a much higher elevation than your own that force you to look up at a steep angle.

But hey, if you are happy with it, by all means use a sighting compass.

Also the Silva Ranger and the Suunto MC-1G are the same compasses, both made by Suunto of Finland.
    Biggest thing to keep in mind is to buy your compass locally, make sure you get a compass made for use in N. America.
    Tell me, what is the current (2008) declination for Arizona?
    It's neat to be able to talk to people in different regions of the country.
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

Images

Speaking of declination, here's one of a number of maps available on the web:

http://www.thecompassstore.com/decvar.html

NGDC says about 11 1/4 degrees for Flagstaff, the most recent map I have says 13. I usually split the difference and set my compass at 12 degrees locally. You're likely familiar, but a great declination calculator:

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/Declination.jsp

You're right, perhaps depth perception is not the thing, but I seem to have some vision defect that causes me to lose some fine physical accuracy- Like if I move a pointed finger towards something and trying to stop just short of it, I end up hitting it, and this seems to function laterally as well. The navigational implication of this is that I often have to be able to simultaneously see my compass bearing and what I'm sighting off of in order to follow an accurate course- On a long bearing course where I'm sighting off numerous smaller things on the way, I'll tend to be off slightly each time, so on a long course the effect is cummulative. I don't know if that makes any sense, it's frustrating to explain. I think my head is just on crooked.

At any rate, orienteering is a hobby when I have time. I like to go out to the Coconino Plateau North of town (flat, sparse vegetation , featureless) and play around finding obscure USGS features like old livestock wells and things. Lotsa fun, quite addictive.

thanks for the links guys, I will trade you, how 'bout that.
    This one gives you your current declination automatically from your IP address.
    http://www.magnetic-declination.com/

My dec. is currently 11deg. 12' west

No, what you explained makes sense, on longer courses with multiple readings the margin of error adds up for all of us.
    Yeah it's fun.

Summit, I'm curious what is your Declination? What is Durham close to? If I wasn't so lazy i guess I could look on a map, Ha.
    Oh well, makes for good conversation, right!?

possibly more than you want to know concerning declination
    http://www.geocities.com/magnetic_declination/

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    possibly more than you want to know concerning declination
    http://www.geocities.com/magnetic_declination/
    Thanks,
    Hmmm...more than I want to know, I felt that way all through school!

Again, thanks for the link.

Images

Not up on my terms, but.

My Silva, the ring portion is very loose.

I have to redo the the angle, constantly, so that I can use the thing to move.

Are all of them that loose? Or am I just lucky?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

For what is worth, I currently use the Suunto A-10. On the CDT, I used a similar one that had a small magnifying glass for $5 more.

As with Trouthunter, I find the sighting compasses are more of a headache than they are worth. I don't even like compasses that have a declination set in. Find it is easier to add or subtract as needed.

I honestly do believe in the KISS principle for most things in life. In this case, most definitely a compass.

As always, YMMV.

ps. Declination in Colorado is ~10 deg E or
    Declination = 9° 25' E changing by 0° 8' W/year to be precise where I live.

Last edited by Mags; 11-06-2008 at 15:07.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

My compass housing is loose. Is it normal to have to readjust this every time you take it out of a pocket?

Yes your housing, or bezel, should be a fairly tight fit.
    It should not move around on its own.

I would just get another compass, they don't cost much to replace.

Images

(Just get the term housing down and you throw bezel at me!
    My bezel is loose.)

That is what I figured. Might have to spend a little more next time.

Business end still works, so I wonder how long it will take for me to break down and spend the moola. Merry Christmas!

mudhead,

$20.00 will get you a nice base plate compass.
    I personally prefer Suunto because Silvas' quality has been hit and miss lately.
    Suunto makes the Silva Ranger and quality is good, but some of the others by Silva have had problems, as yours has.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trouthunter View Post
    mudhead,

$20.00 will get you a nice base plate compass.
    I personally prefer Suunto because Silvas' quality has been hit and miss lately.
    Suunto makes the Silva Ranger and quality is good, but some of the others by Silva have had problems, as yours has.
    It would be worth $19 not to have to fuss with the housing every time I handle it. Don't use it much, would enjoy one that is not fussy. Won't do another Silva.

++ New Posts ++