WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

hung 10-15 feet high will keep the bears away. Also make sure it is not to close to limbs are the trunk, otherwise the squirlls and coons will get it. I like the two ropes tied to two different tree method. There is a diagram of it on here somewhere.

I have been accused of being part of the "Ursack Mafia" due to my long term love affair with them
    I own two Ursacks, one from 2002 (a second gen yellow one) and a green 3rd gen one).

Slowly over the years most of my hiking partners have picked up Ursacks. We have at least one of every model sold. Including the goofy "silly sack" that my buddy Marzsit picked up at the start of the Iraq war - when they couldn't get more fabric. Ursack was sewing odd ball sized ones for a short period out of scraps. The silly sack is still a favorite!

I am short. I have never been able to properly hang a bear bag - most times I camp at treeline with tiny evergreens that are useless for hanging. So for me, the Ursack was a blessing. Now my son has his own as well.

I do own a canister but only use it if legally required.

If you can bear bag correctly and have good trees, then go for it. 7 ounces for the Ursack and getting to tie it off/go to bed in a minute is worth it
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why? i ALWAYS sleep with it
    [QUOTE=ofthearth;728608]As you can see there are many ways to do it and the above posts seem to cover the range. I bought a Ursack and don't use it. Kinda heavy. If you want to go that way pm me and we can work something out. LW doesn't hang his and he's hiked a lot, though I always mean to ask where/when etc. ( Not to start anything just to gather more info to make a better choice) The question seems to be one that comes up often (very often). Maybe someone could do a poll so others could get a better idea of what most people do.

I have never slept with mine but from Springer to Hot Springs I have never bear bagged either. Just hung it over a low limb or from my hammock support lines. I'm not suggesting to not bear bag, just saying what works for me. I did bear bag in the Rockies though.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++