WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Thank you for your admission. The blame still rest with those who deface shelters and privies, not those who constructed those amenities.

Give it up while you still can save face.

SOG
    haha.

well, i did not really blame those that built the shelters directly, but rather i blamed the shelters themselves. i guess that is an indirect blame of the builders.

bottom line: The presence of shelters will attract the very people who will deface them.

Quote Originally Posted by hperry View Post
    well, rocky viewpoints exist naturally.
    Although the rocks might be there naturally, the viewpoints are often cleared by maintainers, at least in PA and nearby. Look closely over the edge and you will likely see many saplings cut.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

When does graffiti become art to be protected?

Petroglyphs in Utah ~1200 AD:

William Clark carving, 1806:

1935 Basque carving near Tahoe:

Nothing to do with the discussion directly. Just in a philosophical mood......
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hperry View Post
    this is probably a great irony of the shelter system. The types of folks who carve or paint grafitti at the shelters are the types who probably wouldn't have came had the shelters not been there. so are the shelters themselves to blame for their own graffiti?

ponder over that one a while.
    Dude, your arguement has more holes in it than a yard sale collander. By your arguement then, is it your fault if you're standing on the street and someone comes up to you and kicks you in the nuts? After all, it's not their fault you just happened to be there when they felt like kicking. Bad analogy? Nope, two things are just sitting there (the shelter and your nuts) and someone comes along and commits a crime against them (defacing and kicking).

Don't get me wrong, I don't like shelters. However, I don't think it's ok to deface them just because they are there.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    When does graffiti become art to be protected?
    You ask a good question which begs a simple answer, one which I suspect is not easily found.

In my view, on the AT there is no point at which painting rocks, carving on live trees or AT shelters rises to the level of art. It is after all, a National Scenic Trail, not a 2000-mile art show where people show off their talents and contemplate the works of other itinerant artists. People should write or draw in the shelter registers if they must express themselves.

there is no point where carvings on live trees or AT shelters rises to the level of art.
    maybe not in your eyes. i like shelter carvings. i think mt. rushmore and that crazy horse monument are ugly scars

In my view, there is no point where carvings on live trees or AT shelters rises to the level of art.
    The Basque carvings on aspens are now protected by the USFS:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/com...carvings.shtml

But, don't leave any of your own they say...

So, does graffiti that is 70 yrs old then become historic?

I am not arguing pro or con against shelter graffiti. Just saying that while graffiti in shelters is aesthetically bad to many of us (myself included), at some point it may be considered art and/or historical significance.

Odd point to ponder.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The Basque carvings on aspens are now protected by the USFS:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/com...carvings.shtml

But, don't leave any of your own they say...

So, does graffiti that is 70 yrs old then become historic?

I am not arguing pro or con against shelter graffiti. Just saying that while graffiti in shelters is aesthetically bad to many of us (myself included), at some point it may be considered art and/or historical significance.

Odd point to ponder.
    if earl shaffer had carved something years ago thesame whiners would be fighting to protect his carvings

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    if earl shaffer had carved something years ago the same whiners would be fighting to protect his carvings
    I'm not sure if I'm one of your whiners, but I wouldn't. A replaced shelter was dismantled years ago in Pennsylvania. On one of the chestnut logs from which it was built was the name of a club member and a date, some 50 years prior as I recall. Some thought the carved portion of the log should be preserved. I thought it should be incinerated along with the rest of the shelter.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I'm not sure if I'm one of your whiners, but I wouldn't. A replaced shelter was dismantled years ago in Pennsylvania. On one of the chestnut logs from which it was built was the name of a club member and a date, some 50 years prior as I recall. Some thought the carved portion of the log should be preserved. I thought it should be incinerated along with the rest of the shelter.
    man I'd love to have those chestnut logs..to burn chestnut logs is a SIN>
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

on rocky top inthe smoies thier are some cravings in a rock..very old..protected...but if you craved inthe rock you would be fined.

of course native american artifacts like broken pottery and such is usually from trash heaps left by the noble savages.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Default Maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve View Post
    man I'd love to have those chestnut logs..to burn chestnut logs is a SIN>
    I doubt they would have been of interest to you had you seen them. They were all well under 6 inches in diameter, many badly split and covered with multiple layers of paint and/or stain. Last time I visited the shelter site I think they were still where they were left to rot that day in the gullied trail to it's spring.

This side of the dirt
    Images

Guess it has been going on for a long time -doesn't mean I have to like it.

In just over 28 months-from May 1804 to September 1806-the expedition of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark traveled more than 8,000 miles. More than a quarter of that distance was spent traversing Montana by boat, on horseback and afoot:

Pompeys Pillar where Clark carved his signature in a large sandstone rock along the Yellowstone River.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post

Pompeys Pillar where Clark carved his signature in a large sandstone rock along the Yellowstone River.

The only physical sign of their expedition they purposely left (that we know of).

Then there is the KILROY WAS HERE graffiti. Yet,that is a cultural icon.

The Anasazi graffiti is rather old. But there has been cases of Roman graffiti even older. Pretty much the modern equivalent of "Jack loves Jane" (except in Latin). Same thing you'd find in a shelter (minus the Latin.... ) Because it is almost 2000 yrs old, it is protected.

As I said, odd point to ponder...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I would like to second the motion of removing all the rocks.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Caves do.
    There we are, blame it on those French cavemen who painted animals on cave walls.

Journal Entries

the blame rests with those that built the actual trail and shelters. both scars on the land
    Stop whining about the trail being a scar on the land. If you don't like the trail, just stay away.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Stop whining about the trail being a scar on the land. If you don't like the trail, just stay away.

Weary
    stop whining about signs on a tree leading to WHL. if you don't like WHL, just stay away.

the trail and shelters are scars. fact

it's just graffiti. it ain't gonna ruin your nights sleep

Sure won't ruin mine. I like to read all the ones to see how old the shelter is. Some of the ones from the 70's are great

Swear I saw a big LW carved up in New Hampshire? Probly just a coincidence since it wasn't the smokies

Journal Entries

stop whining about signs on a tree leading to WHL. if you don't like WHL, just stay away.

the trail and shelters are scars. fact
    You have your facts wrong, LW. I don't object to the sign on a tree near the overgrown road that leads to WHL. I haven't seen it but hikers tell me it simply says, "Mahar ." The sign directs hikers to the shore of a great lake, where once stood an historic AT shelter -- incidentally, one of the first AT shelters I ever stayed at.

The next time I'm in the wilderness, I'll stop by and relive fond memories.

Weary

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++