WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

OK, cleaned up. This thread is in Straight Forward and the topic is legal issues of carrying a gun on a thru hike.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaSchwartz View Post
    Unless local laws, federal land, or private ownership supercedes. An example is a bank. They can make rules that you can't carry any concealed weapon on their property even if the state allows you to carry one otherwise. They have the full right as a private owner to ban your gun from their property.
    Yes I know that. I even mentioned that in my post. I guess you missed that.

That said, I work bank security now. Banks tend not to have this sort of rule. Lots of customers who bring large deposits are armed because they are targets. As a courtesy to our customers they are allowed to be armed if they have a permit - and we also don't check permits, basically it is on the honor system. But if you start waving it around in the bank chances are you are going to get dropped.
    I'm sure the federal lands throughout the AT can do the same thing, if they say you can't carry a concealed gun, it doesn't matter if the state allows it or not.
    Just hiked in the Smokies, got off the trail just a couple of hours ago. Guess what the sign outside the Cades Cove visitor center said? "No carrying of firearms into this establishment unless you have a valid state issued permit". I also know from being a soldier that all gates have a nice big sign to let you know it is illegal to carry there. Post offices that do not allow you to bring a weapon in (some are still in country stores) also will say if it is prohibited.

Using Tennessee as an example - about the only places in Tennessee that you cannot bring a weapon into are schools and places that sell alchohol by the drink - and even they have signs to tell you that. It's been my experience that establishments that don't want weapons make sure you know that. They don't tend to play gotya games.
    Also did you know that 100,000's of guns are STOLEN each year from gun owners? If some bad guy on the trail knows you are carrying a gun, it would be real easy for them to steal it from you. Don't pretend otherwise either.
    I answer the legality question. I am not going to get off track with the how or why or why not to carry or if I think someone even needs to on the trail It is like fording the Kennebeck. Let people know the facts and then make an informed decision for themselves based on their skills, knowledge and attitude.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++