WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Moved to SF. Respond accordingly.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    I love my semis, but if I ever decide to hike with one hamerless revolver is the safest and lightest option IMO.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...04&isFirearm=Y

Images

Nice pickup LW thats one of the ones I have, also have a 340PD and an assortment of hand and long guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Wow!!! you're right. Inever thought of it that way.
    Tell that to a woman that is ready to vote - She is taking the 19th too far.. Or how about enslaving a black - "Get back in the fields - You are taking the 13th too far."
    How about someone comes in the middle of the night and drags your ass outta your house, tosses your house and puts you in prison because of your beleifs???? What?????? It's OK Homer, you are taking 1, 4 and 8 too seriously.
    On what planet did I mention illegal search and seizure or cruel and unusual punishment by the US Government. I don't take either of those rights for granted as far as I know, The second amendment says that one can have a gun to protect your own personal property i.e. your home, providing permits, licenses, and training. That does not guarantee you the right to carry a gun through federal, state, and local lands along the AT where it is not always legal to carry no matter permits, licenses, or training. That is why you should not carry a gun....on a thru hike...because it is ILLEGAL in SOME areas along the trail.

The Fourth Amendment (Amendment IV) to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights which guards against unreasonable searches and seizures. It was designed as a response to the controversial writ of assistance (a type of general search warrant), which was a significant factor behind the American Revolution. Toward that end, the amendment specifically requires search and arrest warrants be judicially sanctioned, supported by probable cause and be limited in scope according to specific information supplied by a person (usually a law enforcement officer) who has sworn by it and is therefore accountable to the issuing court.

The Eighth Amendment (Amendment VIII) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights which prohibits the federal government from imposing excessive bail, excessive fines, and cruel and unusual punishments. The phrases employed are taken from the English Bill of Rights of 1689. In Robinson v. California, 370 U.S. 660 (1962), the Supreme Court of the United States said that the Cruel and Unusual Punishments Clause is applicable to the states via the Fourteenth Amendment. The Court has not explicitly ruled on whether the Excessive Bail and Excessive Fines Clauses apply to the states.

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

As far as retailers and their little signs, there is much debate on the legality of such.
    There shouldn't be. I emphatically support the right to bear arms, but I also emphatically support the right of people to govern what happens on their property. If you don't want guns in your house, or store, or whatever, you shouldn't be forced to have them there.

It was my understanding that when you are backpacking you are to home no mateer whare you happen tobe. If that is true you can have a gun to defend yourselfat home according to the resent ruling on the issue.
    If you're referring to the Supreme Court ruling on DC gun laws, it didn't really touch on the issue; however, given the discussion in Scalia's majority opinion, I suspect that regulating guns in parks and such would probably be approved by them.

WHO THE HELL NEEDS A GUN WHILE HIKING? If you're so terrified of the outside world. Stay home, the imgrants won't git ju thar.
    Who the heck needs a seat belt, or air bags, when driving? The chances of having an accident aren't that high.

Why bother coming down off the mountain during a thunderstorm? The chances of getting struck by lightning aren't that high.

Why purify your water? The chances of getting sick aren't that high.

We can reasonably argue the practicality of carrying a gun while hiking vs. the risk, but dismissing all people who want to carry as cowards is ignorant and hypocritical.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

This isn't going to be a constitutional debate. Cite the specific laws/information required to carry.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldfivetango View Post
    What?The gun or the issue?
    Oldfivetango

ps Aren't you afraid some anti-gun nut will turn you in to the
    next park ranger?I have always wondered............................
    The trick is to carry, but not hanging out of the front of your pants like Pancho Villa. There's a lot to be said for discretion. On the trail you will be passing through National Forests, State Forests, National Parks, State Parks, National Monuments, bus stations, towns, game preserves, and about 500 different wildlife management areas....all of which have wildly varying laws concerning guns of any type. IMHO there is no way that anyone can ever be fully prepared or aware of all the regional restrictions on firearms, so just keep it to yourself and wear that secret little smile!

Quote Originally Posted by trouthunter View Post
    As far as retailers and their little signs, there is much debate on the legality of such.
    No debate in Virginia. It's in the code, clear and straightforward:

"O. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property."

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

Of course, if you want to spend five or ten years embroiled in a Supreme Court test case, knock yourself out, but I wouldn't call that type of slim chance a real "debate."
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jaywalke View Post
    No debate in Virginia. It's in the code, clear and straightforward:

"O. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property."

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

Of course, if you want to spend five or ten years embroiled in a Supreme Court test case, knock yourself out, but I wouldn't call that type of slim chance a real "debate."
    Yeah, poor choice of words on my part I guess.
    I should have said: There is much debate on whether or not the law is constitutional.
    I am not however taking sides, I'm just aware of the debate. It has been hashed to death around here.
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

Kilted Thru-Hiker AT'04, PCT'06, CDT'07 Haiku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Yeah, I knew of atleast 5 this year. They seemed responsible, never pulled it out, and they only told me because we got to be very good friends over time and because of my background. No one else knew they had one on them, and that's how it should be. Didn't bother me one bit that they were carrying, but I carry all the time at home so I'm comfortable around them.
    I guess I've just never run into a thru-hiker who carries. Or I never knew. So let me ask another question, definitely not intended as bait in any way. Hiker clothes don't offer much in the way of concealment, so if you're going to carry and not show it off it would be in your pack. That means if you ever needed it while hiking you'd have to take off your pack and retrieve it. Does that make it less useful? Or as we talking about much smaller handguns, with slim concealable holsters that would fit in/beneath cargo shorts?

Like I said before, my only experience with guns on hiking trails is horse packers who open carry on their hips.

Haiku.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
    I guess I've just never run into a thru-hiker who carries. Or I never knew. So let me ask another question, definitely not intended as bait in any way. Hiker clothes don't offer much in the way of concealment, so if you're going to carry and not show it off it would be in your pack. That means if you ever needed it while hiking you'd have to take off your pack and retrieve it. Does that make it less useful? Or as we talking about much smaller handguns, with slim concealable holsters that would fit in/beneath cargo shorts?

Like I said before, my only experience with guns on hiking trails is horse packers who open carry on their hips.

Haiku.
    Kept it in their packs. The safest time on the trail is usually when actually hiking. Sometimes we had to camp in a less than desireable place, and slept with the firearm. There were quite a few places where we camped where we were close to roads or heavily used atv trails. Some shelters are listed in the guidebooks as to be avoided at nights because of locals. So when walking it's in the pack because you can't really carry anything that will take down a bear without too much weight, and bears aren't an issue on the AT. Crazy people are, and you are most vulnerable when asleep. Also for carrying in towns, especially when hitch hiking to non-trail towns that are a ways from the trail.

I carried for the first half of the trail this year, but doubt I will next year. I hitch hiked over 3000 miles on side trips along the east coast, stealth camped inside towns a lot, and walked though a lot of towns at night this year on my thru. Stayed in some very shady motels off the trail, walked 20 miles through Baltimore through the "rough" part of town, and was very glad I had my weapon. Almost had to use it in one town when someone was trying to rob me. So a gun isn't really necessary on the trail I think, but I spent most of my 7 months off the trail in other towns and there I could have easily needed it.

I carry on fishing bushwacks, I have a concealed pocket on my pack that allows me to draw while hiking, and yes you can carry a large gun easily in your shorts with the right holster.
    I carry a Glock, in 45 ACP
    I do not carry on well established, high traffic trails. But I do agree with NEST it is good to be armed under the right circumstances.
    Also, if you find yourself in an area with lots of black bears such as the Chillhowie or Cades Cove areas
    ( and lots of others), and you have an encounter with a territorial bear, a shot placed in the ground, short of the bear, is usually enough. This is a lot more startling to a bear than you yelling HEY BEAR...HEY BEAR .
    Problem bears have lost their fear of man, and the recommendation by bear experts is to re-instill that fear as much as possible during an encounter. Throw rocks & sticks, don't just yell.
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

I have a a very good friend that makes quality handmade concealing holsters, that are half the price as the mass producers. Feel free to PM me for details.

I like guns and hunting and fishing alright, but I don't own one nor do I hunt and fish. I always see people getting into trouble for one thing or another, and I feel like dealing with the law and game wardens are more of a threat than just not doing it. It's a lot less stress, for me, to not worry about about such issues. Same thing with substances. I just drink my beer or booze at a camp and don't get into trouble for DWIs or whatever is illegal. Trouble with the law isn't worth it, and if you get some kind of gun charge against you, you'll be wishing you had just put your safety in god's hands, or took your chances if you are an atheist. I've had to visit too many folks that I know in prisons, and you don't want to end up there.

This thread is in Straight Forward (white background). It was moved here because the topic of guns just about always wanders. So in the interest of providing space where those interested in carrying can get on topic information, please stay on topic. Otherwise, opponents to carrying will also post off topic information and it becomes a mess wherein things get deleted or heaven forbid the thread ends up closed and everyone bitches.

Please start another thread (preferably in SF) if you want to discuss off topic (as relates to the thread opener) so we do not need to remove useful but off topic material.

TYVM.

*Reminder of topic
    how illegal is it to carry a gun on a thru hike?

was wondering where it is legal and not legal to carry, what permits are required, etc.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Journal Entries

Among the places carrying is not legal is Baxter State Park.

Weary
    Last edited by Alligator; 11-07-2008 at 15:26. Reason: Removed off-topic material.

still curious as to why anyone would want to carry a gun on the AT. are you going hiking or are you going hunting? after trimming down the pack weight why in the world would you want to throw a big hunk of metal in there? protection? to that i say quit living in fear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    still curious as to why anyone would want to carry a gun on the AT. are you going hiking or are you going hunting? after trimming down the pack weight why in the world would you want to throw a big hunk of metal in there? protection? to that i say quit living in fear.
    Please read post #54. Your post is off topic. The Straight Forward Forum was started specifically to provide a forum that is strictly question and answer driven.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

I'd end up shooting holes thru the sides of my tent, in the highcountry, after getting into some bad shine

I will stay on topic.

Here is an article that discusses this topic, it has a good bit of facts and figures as well.
    http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...oncealed-heat/

The OP should read it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sticks&stones View Post
    I'd end up shooting holes thru the sides of my tent, in the highcountry, after getting into some bad shine
    Quote Originally Posted by trouthunter View Post
    I will stay on topic.

Here is an article that discusses this topic, it has a good bit of facts and figures as well.
    http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...oncealed-heat/

The OP should read it.
    Start a new thread if you wan't to introduce the "need" factor or even crime statistics in general. The article cited by you is full of inaccuracies. The most glaring of which, unfortunately, involves Meredith Emerson. You are off topic, trouthunter.
    Last edited by ed bell; 11-07-2008 at 23:49.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++