WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Speed Differences

I am wondering about speeds of the different sections of the trail. No need for mileage if you do not know. Speeds in relation to each other is good enough.

Me and my wife will be averaging a minimum of 20/day (Including 1 rest day for every 6 hiking).

Images

If you want to average 20 a day, then concentrate on something like 15 a day south of Damascus. An injury will slow you down alot more than the lower miles. After Damascus, or thereabouts, crank it up. From Springr to Damascus I averaged about 17 miles a day. But, from mid-way through the Smokys, a standard hiking day was in the low 20s, with a day and a half off in Hot Springs and a half day in Erwin. So, certainly averaging 20 in the south is possible, but do be careful.

You said speed three times. I find that it is very difficult to go more than 7 or 8 eight miles an hour even when trail running and slack packing, which you must be doing if you are going to attempt consistent 23 mile days.
    I wish you best of luck. Quite a few people have run the trail, but I have not heard of a married couple attempting one before

Currently, we are planning a beginning average of ~10/day, climbing up to 22 at Damascus and staying at least there the rest. Is there sections that are extremely flat/low? Places where 25-35 range is more likely? I am trying to find the feasibility of doing 25-35/day over longer periods (based on terrain).

I am not looking to trail run it. 25/day is 3.5/hour for 7 hours. Which seems feasible to me.

Images

I wouldn't count on being able to _average_ 3.5 miles per hour on the AT. Hiking 23 a day isn't super hard, but it is going to take you more than 7 hiking hours to accomplish. Better to plan for 12 hour (with breaks) days. Generally speaking, 2 mph is considered a fairly standard pace. 2.5 mph is moving. 3 mph is fast. I don't think there were any extended legs on the PCT where I could keep up a 3.5 mph pace, and I was covering 30-35 miles a day there. There isn't much flat ground south of Damascus, although once you get up into the Smokys the terrain is relatively easy.

One thing you might be overlooking: In order to have a high per day average, one good tactic is to take few full days off. For example, rather than taking a full day off after 6 days on is pretty standard, but try cranking out 15 on that 7th day and then taking the remainder off. Or 10 miles, for that matter.

For a little comparison, the strongest AT hiker that I've hiked with completed the trail with a 22.7 mile per day average. He ran cross country for Duke (ie, he was in top shape), was going ultralight, and had no injuries over the course of the summer. Take a look at Highlander II's 2003 journal on www.trailjournals.com. He finished in a similar time frame, I believe.

Images

"I am not looking to trail run it. 25/day is 3.5/hour for 7 hours. Which seems feasible to me."

Unless you are running, 3.5 miles/hour is impossible from Springer through middle Virginia (the sections I have done). As suggested, 2 miles/hour is more realistic. Doing 35 miles in a day is rarely done unless supported.

Images

Yeah it would certainly make more sense to hike all day long rather than try to power surge by hiking really fast for only 7 hrs/day. I would suggest hiking sun up to down. That gives you many hours to walk slowly, also to allow for a break a nap and/or lunch. And that great view too.

3.5 mph is certainly not possible in the Whites and particularly in Maine, unless you were jogging or running. Just be careful. The Trail in Maine is an obstacle course in some places and incredibly rugged. One small slip on a root could end it all. Same goes for the rocks in PA.

Good luck though. It is a tremendous challenge to maintain 25-35 miles on the AT on a daily basis
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default Pace

Let's say pace, rather than speed.

Anyway, an average of 120 miles per week is faster than most people hike the AT. Not that it can't be done, but most people find good reasons to do fewer miles per week, like nero's.

That being said, reading between the lines on some data complied by Roland Mueser, RIP, and published in his book "Long Distance Hiking," people hike North Carolina and Tennessee at 90% of their average pace, they hike Virginia to Connecticut at 110% of their average pace, they hike Massachusetts and Vermont at their average pace, and then back off to 90% for New Hampshire and Maine.

Thanks for all the input. I of course did not think I could hike only 7 hours per day, or keep up 3.5 miles/hour. Was merely trying to keep the efforts relative to something I can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by mpholcomb
    Currently, we are planning a beginning average of ~10/day, climbing up to 22 at Damascus and staying at least there the rest. Is there sections that are extremely flat/low? Places where 25-35 range is more likely? I am trying to find the feasibility of doing 25-35/day over longer periods (based on terrain).

I am not looking to trail run it. 25/day is 3.5/hour for 7 hours. Which seems feasible to me.
    Working from memory, Ray Jardine and his wife did the trail in 2 months, 28 days. That is 24.3 miles a day or so.

As others have said, I think that you can accomplish that better by walking for 12 hours with several breaks than by averaging 3.5 an hour for 7 hours. 3.5/hour for 7 hours might be doable if you are extremely fit, don't get injured, have a light pack, and most importantly are very mentally tough and focused. The mental toughness of fast/long hikers was what impressed me the most.

From the fast hikers I have talked to and from what I have read, an early start and a committment to walk until sundown seem to get people the big miles. (I'm not a fast hiker or big milage guy myself-23.6 was my longest day. Did some 20s but was more comfortable with 15-17. But when I needed to do 20 miles to get to the Caratunk ferry by 4:30, I knew my only choice was to _be walking_ when the sun was just coming up.)

As to where you can put in big miles-the easiest section I found was from the Shenandoahs through Duncannon. The rest of Penn was just ridgerunning, but the rocks are annoying. NJ and NY are not too bad either.

Bear Magnet

Here's a chart showing factual data on four northbound Appalachian Trail thru-hikers. You might want to use that data to gauge a pace for yourself and your wife if you're considering a northbound AT thru-hike. Note the 20-30 YO Male in the chart is a consistant hiker who hikes relatively long hours.

http://friends.backcountry.net/datto/pic/HIKES03.jpg

Why do you want to hike the AT at such a fast pace?

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by Datto

Why do you want to hike the AT at such a fast pace?
    And will you be dissapointed if you can't?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Pace is needed to finish before obligations. But we are most focused on the hike, not finishing. I am asking question to see if finishing within my boundaries is feasible.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by mpholcomb
    Pace is needed to finish before obligations.
    There are two ways to do this. One is to hike faster. The other is to hike at a slower pace, but hike more hours each day.
    Frosty

Images

Default anything is possible...

The miles will come easier in the middle states, VA-VT. I was very surprised by how flat the hiking in PA was, making high milage days very doable.

The posts by Chris were pretty much right on.

What your proposing is definitly possible. I say go for it! Ignore the naysayers.

Images

I maintained an average of 19 miles from Virginia to Maine, and it was quite stenuous at times. You really do not have time to slow down and smell the roses. As someone mentioned before, make sure that you get an early start. That will definitely help. Also, factor in a few ten to twelve miles a day from Glencliff, NH to Grafton Notch, Maine. I understand what it is like trying to make a deadline. Good luck, and enjoy your hike.

frosty made a good point. hike longer. i think the key to logging alot of high mile days is hiking for a long time. getting up early and hiking late. here are a few things that i have done to help get more miles out of some of my days...

i get up early, usually with the sun and try to pack up and be on the trail pretty quickly. i eat a dry breakfast that requires no prep. sometimes i even eat it while walking and stop about 10 or 15 minutes down the trail to tank up on water. one way that i get hiking early is do everything i can the night before. take care of water and try and have everything gathered etc...

then when im hiking and hopefully when you are hiking you will be aware of how much daylight you have. then i usually try and divide my days up into chunks. i usually hike real hard until lunch 1 0r 2ish, take a good 45 minute break. then i hit my second section of the day until dinner, and then usually hike a little further after dinner if the weather is being friendly...

when bringing up the weather i think its important to not let that hamper your hiking... sometimes you gotta suck it up and hike in rain, snow, cold whatever. as long as you are careful and smart and the weather isnt from the depths of hell you should be able to survive... (hopefully haha)

try night hiking. i usually enjoy it. especially if the night is clear and you dont even need a lightsource. plus i hate it when i get into camp wind down go to sleep then wake up at 4 in the morning...

most importantly you shouldnt be dissapointed if you want to hike x amount of miles a day and you dont hike that many. sometimes you find a view or something thats worth losing some miles to stop and take it in. you dont want to hike the trail then look back and not remember anything because you were in such a hurry to finish. might as well not walk it if you cant take the time to take a deep breath and take in some of gods green goodness. i wish you and your wife the best, and i hope your hike together is awfully hard and full of challenges that will bring out the worst and best in you guys and ultimately bring you together. your lucky to have someone that is willing to get out there with you...

brack

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default I'm laughing at myself juxtaposed in these posts!

Our next section is from Bearwallow Gap to BuenaVista and I made the mistake of looking at the profile (rarely do I do that) and reading the book (usually on the access points)...what I'm seeing in our first 14 miles is almost 9000feet of gain and that just getting warmed up................and you guys are saying how flat Virginia is! or the big miles past Damascus! My dream is 10miles a day and that is starting early, carrying the lightest, etc.
    The only easy section I did was about 20 miles south of Pearisburg and from Spivey Gap to the Nolichuckey River, and one poster said how flat Penn. was, and I like many can only picture rock and rock and more rock up there!

Wink Rat race?

Right on Medicine Man! I just can't fathom the pleasure in racing along the trail. The whole point of a long hike IMHO is to get away from the busy world and relax. Sure, you can brag that you hiked the AT in 3 months, or whatever, but can you honestly say that you enjoyed the experience. If you have "obligations", then postpone your trek, or do only half of the trail at a more enjoyable pace. My longest day to, to date, has been 17 miles thru the St. Anthony Wilderness in PA to Rausch Gap Shelter, and now I wish I had taken my time - it's a lovely section.
    Toofarafoot

I think you and your wife need to slow down and smell the cookies.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++