WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: tarp or biv

Default tarp or biv

getting ready to hike standing bear to hot springs in dec. plan to stay in shelters. whats gonna be more useful - a water resistant bivy or a small tarp to block the shelter opening?

juma

Images

Why stay in shelters? Pitch a tarp on the ground. Tarp is superior to bivy because of better ventalation, thus less condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    getting ready to hike standing bear to hot springs in dec. plan to stay in shelters. whats gonna be more useful - a water resistant bivy or a small tarp to block the shelter opening?

juma
    neither will block a shelter entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    neither will block a shelter entrance.
    let me rephrase - is worth carrying a tarp to block any wind or rain blowing in the entrance of a shelter?

not in my opinion, no

Images

Stay on the ground less rodents more nature plus you won't have to worry about creatures that call the place home when your not around ie skunks coons drunk locals. I love tenting so much that I have never stayed in a shelter and I never regret it.

A small tarp won't block the shelter opening. I'd bring a bivy, or wrap a tarp around my sleeping bag burrito style if weather is really blowing into a shelter.

My advise bring a tarp and an emergency blanket to keep me off the ground (in case you couldn't reach the shelter, (whiteout)), or in leui of the blanket, use a bivy. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    Stay on the ground less rodents more nature plus you won't have to worry about creatures that call the place home when your not around ie skunks coons drunk locals. I love tenting so much that I have never stayed in a shelter and I never regret it.
    I second that.
    I often use a bivy, with a small parafly as a little shelter for me and my gear.
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

Images

I use a light bivy in winter (not waterproof), and I stay in shelters for the most part. Not many mice or other people out in December. But I also carry a small tarp in case I decide not to sleep in a shelter for whatever reason.

So my answer is, Both.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

let me rephrase - is worth carrying a tarp to block any wind or rain blowing in the entrance of a shelter?
    in rain, definitely. not all shelters have porches, the slightest bit of wind can blow rain in. you do not need a tarp big enough to block the whole entrance, just your one spot will do, (for you )

in winter, then a tarp for blocking wind does help. You should not have to worry about wind until it gets cold. Most shelters are not situated in ideal places for winter camping.

Keep in mind Lone Wolf does not stay in shelters or at least claims not to.

I, however, use the tarp bivy combo for camping. if its not that cold, the bivy does not get used. If its cold, or if its wet, it gets used.

I think everyone will find a way to travel & sleep that is right for them.
    You just have to spend some time in the woods to fine tune your system, and we all come up with different ways of doing things, so I guess advise is great for a guideline but that's about all for a lot of things.
    With some things there's only a couple ways to do it, and with others there are countless ways.
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A tent is a lot warmer.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    A tent is a lot warmer.
    in some situations, yes. In others, no.

I just started using a bivy / tarp combo. If you can swing the $$$ - you can get a good water resistant bivy from someone like Mountain Laurel Designs, along with a lightweight tarp. You can use the bivy in the shelter with the creatures, or pitch the tarp with a couple sticks or trekking poles with the bivy underneath.
    -deliriousNomad

Images

juma

tarp and hammock rocks,i hate sheltersneo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hperry View Post
    in rain, definitely. not all shelters have porches, the slightest bit of wind can blow rain in. you do not need a tarp big enough to block the whole entrance, just your one spot will do, (for you )

in winter, then a tarp for blocking wind does help. You should not have to worry about wind until it gets cold. Most shelters are not situated in ideal places for winter camping.

Keep in mind Lone Wolf does not stay in shelters or at least claims not to.

I, however, use the tarp bivy combo for camping. if its not that cold, the bivy does not get used. If its cold, or if its wet, it gets used.

i dont do shelters either,real hikers dont need sheltersneo

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    A tent is a lot warmer.
    A traditional double wall tent may ad up to 10 F. A tarp due to its higher cenvection loss adds very little wramth and a my tarptent which I just used for the first time for a week straight seemed to only add 3-5 F at best.

Images

Stay away from the shelters. I wish they'd just rip them all down.

Focus on a sleep system for warmth. Use a tarp that can be configured to protect you from a wide range of elemental situations, or an ultralite tent. Carry an EB in winter, always, the new orange ones don't make nearly as much noise as the old ones.

As far as bivsacs go, I don't recommend them with down bags.

lock it up.

I'm taking a tarp and staying in shelters.

juma

++ New Posts ++