WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default best alcohol bottle

So, as many of you know, I have a bit of trouble containing my alcohol. What I'm interested in is the best option to carry alcohol fuel in...lightweight and something that will work for measuring although I guess with enough practice I will begin to eyeball that part. Is there a bottle that will safely hold the alcohol and provide a method of dispensing other than just to pour it in???
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

Images

An old soda bottle. If you have to have a measuring cup use an old medicine measurer like you get with cough syrup.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

I use an aluminum sigg bottle for longer trips, shorter trips I just use an empty Dasani bottle, with METHYL ALCOHOL written all over it with a sharpie.

I just eyeball but if you want exact fuel measurements I suggest getting a bar jigger, the little two sided, 1/2 oz or 1 oz silver cup. Weighs almost nothing if you take the handle off and even less if you break it down to just one of the sides.

Images

Measuring is a good idea, especially when you first start out. It saves you a lot of wasted alcohol.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I'm with Roots and use a 10 oz Dasani Bottle, but any small soda bottle works great. If you're not used to pouring out the amount of alcohol you need, definitely measure it. You can use 1oz plastic medicine cups, like the ones that come with cough syrup or ask any nurse you know for a few of these:
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Garlic
    Images

I haven't used one, but I heard a small mouthwash bottle works well. Two reasons; 1) the cap is a pretty good measuring cup, and 2) you'll probably never drink out of it by mistake. The only drawback is it's slightly heavier than a small Dasani bottle.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Once you figure out the adverage amount of alcohol you use to cook things, scratch a small line on the inside of you pepsi stove. Practice heating water at home and timing the boil.
    Pootz 07

plastic booze flask with 1 oz cap.. Just dont mix it up with the real thing

Images

I use a Sprite bottle because it's green and a different shape from the Gatorade bottles I use for water. Ditto on using a medicine measuring cup to avoid wasting fuel.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

On my last hike I found a 8oz Crystal Geyser water bottle that I used. I usually use a 12oz juice bottle.

Images

I used a plastic A&W rootbeer soda (unique shape and color) bottle topped by a nifty snorkel available here: http://www.packafeather.com/fuelbottle.html. I also used the alcohol stove that these guys sell for my PCT thru hike. It's still going strong, and it really did simmer, though it's a bit pricey. It comes with a snuffer to put out the flame, then you use the snorkel to suck up whatever fuel you didn't need. Worked great for me.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by 2009ThruHiker View Post
    ...Is there a bottle that will safely hold the alcohol and provide a method of dispensing other than just to pour it in???
    My favorite combination -- the above mentioned medicine cup and contact lens solution bottles. The nozzles work great! The standard 3½ - 4oz bottle should get you through a solo weekend but sizes go up to 12oz. The bottles I use (Boston and Equate brands but I doubt there's a difference amongst other brands) are rugged, virtually leakproof and have never shown any kind of reaction with alcohol.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

A squeezable plastic bottle with 1 oz markings on the side. I use a bottle with a spout that closes. it does not leak. I do keep it in a plastic bag just in case.. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Wade/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG] http://www.bottles.us/bottlesizes.as...DPE&familyid=4

First, I second the recommendation to scratch a line in your stove so you don't need to do careful measurement on the trail. As to bottles. Over the years I have used a number of things... typically small plastic bottles that some other product came in. The containers I use now are a 2oz or 4oz bottle that trailsuds came (I use .5oz for dinner, so a 2oz is great for a long weekend), or an 8oz little nipper platypus with one of the backpackinglight.com nozzles to make pouring easy.

Self Powered Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 2009ThruHiker View Post
    So, as many of you know, I have a bit of trouble containing my alcohol. What I'm interested in is the best option to carry alcohol fuel in...lightweight and something that will work for measuring although I guess with enough practice I will begin to eyeball that part. Is there a bottle that will safely hold the alcohol and provide a method of dispensing other than just to pour it in???

You didn't mention how much fuel you wanted to carry, but for short trips such as a weekend trip the bottle that "camp soap" (walmart sells it) comes in is perfect. It will hold 4oz. and has an easy open/close squeeze spout. Need ounce markings, well its 4oz. so make a mark half way up the bottle and then equaly divide the space above and below the first mark with 2 more marks (permanent marker) and you will have ounce markings on the bottle.

Images

I used the blue bottle that the energy drink NOS comes in. It's completely distinguishable from any other bottle and the cap looks cool.

This Summer I used two of the larger size Camp Soap bottles. They are very strong , thin to fit in the smalles spaces, has a flip top for easy pouring and no spilling. The best freebottle and use use the soap every time you go back[acking.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    This Summer I used two of the larger size Camp Soap bottles. They are very strong , thin to fit in the smalles spaces, has a flip top for easy pouring and no spilling. The best freebottle and use use the soap every time you go back[acking.
    That's a pretty good Idea, Really doesnt leak at all? Do you keep a piece of duct tape over the top just in case?

I have recently transferred my bio soap into little 2 oz shampoo sample bottles. Herbal essences samples are the best...little blue bottle with green screw cap, 2 oz of bio soap can go a long way.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

If you're using soda bottles, make sure to label them as fuel. Don't want some unsuspecting fellow hiker to take a swig thinking it is water. Then there was the hiker who thought it was water, put it in her pot and lit the stove. That'll get your attention!
    Papa John

Images

Quote Originally Posted by papa john View Post
    If you're using soda bottles, make sure to label them as fuel. Don't want some unsuspecting fellow hiker to take a swig thinking it is water. Then there was the hiker who thought it was water, put it in her pot and lit the stove. That'll get your attention!
    Bet she got a quick boil.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++