WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    My uncles body just got back from vietnam 12 years ago. I told my father I wouldn't do that to him.

But thanks for the advice.
    If you didn't serve, just say you didn't serve and move on with supporting those who do. No need to try to justify not serving as a humanitarian act. You're simply in the majority of Americans nowadays.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    If you didn't serve, just say you didn't serve and move on with supporting those who do. No need to try to justify not serving as a humanitarian act. You're simply in the majority of Americans nowadays.
    Not everyone should, not everyone could

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post

Back to the topic, I said in response that our soldiers should be allowed into national parks for free all year, not on 1 inconvenient weekend in November.

I may not support the cause. I do think our soldiers get shafted these days...and always have.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    I posted the article because it was the 1st i had heard of it. They did admit it is a small benefit:

Might benefit a few veterans.....
    It was good of you to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    It was good of you to post it.
    Gee thanks, hard to post something positive here and not have it turn into some sort of pissing match
    WALK ON

Gee thanks, hard to post something positive here and not have it turn into some sort of pissing match
    Ya did good.

Images

Agreed.

Day length.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Not everyone should, not everyone could
    Roger That!

Images

True enough. And thank you for thinking of all veterans out there.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Way to go, Lone Woodsy.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I agree. And it's a Tuesday - my husband and all of the other veterans we know (aside from our dads who are in their 70's and 80's) have to work and won't be going to any parks that day.
    It should also be a holiday. It is here.

On Nov. 11
    So, vets and members should take advantage of this well deserved
    benefit.

Department of the Interior and Department of Agriculture Announce Waiver of Fees for Veterans and Members of U.S. Armed Forces on Veterans Day

WASHINGTON – Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne and Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today announced that, beginning this Veterans Day (Nov. 11), U.S. veterans, members of the U.S. armed forces and their families will be admitted free-of-charge on Veterans Day to most public lands managed by the Department of the Interior and the Department of Agriculture.
    The administrative fee waiver of entrance and/or standard amenity fees will apply annually on Veterans Day at public recreation lands managed by Interior’s National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management and Bureau of Reclamation and Agriculture’s U.S. Forest Service.
    “The fine men and women of the armed forces, both past and present, have fought to keep all Americans free,” said Kempthorne. “Allowing free admission for recreation on our public recreation lands is a small but appropriate way for us to say ‘thank you’ to these American heroes and their families. My hope is that they experience a day filled with recreational enjoyment.”
    "This is one small way we can show our appreciation to the men and women who keep America and our public lands free for all to enjoy," said Johanns. "It seems only fitting that we would give our veterans free access to the National Forests and Grasslands on Veterans Day."
    Both Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of Veterans Affairs R. James Nicholson applauded the announcement.
    "America owes a great deal to the men and women in this country who have worn the military uniform," said Rumsfeld. "I applaud this decision to allow them a day of recreation on the day we honor them for their contributions, past and present."
    “Veterans Day is a day to honor the 24 million Americans who have served this nation in the armed forces,” said Nicholson. “Waiving the usual fees for veterans on Nov. 11 shows the appreciation of the Department of the Interior and the Department of Agriculture for our nation’s veterans. I salute Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne and Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns and the men and women of their departments for this decision that ensures veterans have the chance to appreciate the grandeur of the nation they have served.”
    The announcement came during testimony on H.R. 5452, legislation introduced by U.S. Rep. Thomas M. Reynolds.
    "I am proud to have fought for this initial but important change for our nation's heroes, and that my constituent Robert Kupp and all of his fellow veterans will never again have to pay an entrance fee for a national park on Veterans' Day," said Thomas M. Reynolds (R-NY). "This means America's veterans will have easier access to America's great public lands like Joshua Tree National Park in California, Isle Royale National Park in Michigan, Shiloh National Military Park in Tennessee, Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site -- which is near my home in Buffalo, New York -- and literally hundreds more federal public lands that charge an entrance fee. Today's announcement by the Departments of the Interior and Agriculture is a fitting benefit for our nation's veterans."
    The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, passed by the 108th Congress, overhauled the fee system that governs the National Park System, the National Wildlife Refuge System, the National Forest System, certain public lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management and recreational lands administered by the Bureau of Reclamation. The Act established a new multi-agency pass to cover entrance fees and standard amenity fees on these lands. The target rollout of the new pass is scheduled for January 2007.
    The Veterans Day waiver of fees will apply annually to veterans and members of the U.S. armed forces.
    Wow!!! This is truely great NEWS!!! Being active duty, I can get into parks for FREE!!! I can think of several parks I love to see ... wait a second. I'm half way around the world. Maybe in 2010.

Everyone else, truely have a great time. I'll get there one day.

Wolf

It was a good Veteran's Day. I drove over to Farmington, NH and visited the grave of my Operations Officer in Vietnam. He's also on a monument in West Point kind of across the river from the Greymore Friary. Admission is free at both places.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++