WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Default Happy 233nd Birthday USMC

I know this has nothing to do with the AT, WB or most anything else on here, but I feel that it's an issue important enough to mention.

Today marks the 233rd Birthday of the United States Marine Corps. On 10 November 1775, the Continental Congress passed the Continental Marine Act of 1775, thereby establishing the Continental Marines. The Continental Marines would be the building blocks of what would eventually evolve into the world's finest fighting force, the United States Marine Corps.

The following decree changed the future of all naval infantry forever:

That two battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two lieutenant-colonels, two majors and other officers, as usual in other regiments; that they consist of an equal number of privates as with other battalions, that particular care be taken that no persons be appointed to offices, or enlisted into said battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve for and during the present war with Great Britain and the Colonies; unless dismissed by Congress; that they be distinguished by the names of the First and Second Battalions of Marines.

To all my Brother/Sister Marines/Green Sailors (you know who you are) here on WB and around the world, I'd like to wish you a Happy Birthday. I hope at some point today you'll take a moment to raise a glass to our beloved Corps. If you've never earned the title, then thank someone who has, for it by no accident or coincidence that you live in a free society, but rather by the hard work, sacrifice and dedication of generations of Marines putting themselves in harm's way time and time again. Happy Birthday Devil Dogs and Semper Fidelis!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Semper Fidelis

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A huge Thank You to our heroes, past, present, and future.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Semper Fi to everyone! Proud to be in this Band of Brothers!!!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Happy Birthday - fellow Marine

The world's finest fighting force is the US Army 82nd Airborne Division, no question. Marines are ok, just don't ask them to march too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    The world's finest fighting force is the US Army 82nd Airborne Division, no question. Marines are ok, just don't ask them to march too far.
    why do you feel the need to come in this thread and **** on Marines? jerk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Says the guy who's unit catches rides in planes everywhere. This isn't a pissing match to see who is the world's finest fighting force, this is about paying homage toour Corps of Marines and celebrating our Birthday. Either contibute in a respectful and constructive manner or **** off. The interservice rivalry will still be around when you get back.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why do you feel the need to come in this thread and **** on Marines? jerk
    It's what paratroopers do best...drop in and raise hell.

you're right, should'nt have done it.... Happy birthday Marine Corps.

happy birthday and many more

lost my father when i was 15 yrs old. finished up high school living in a apartment of my own, had permission to excuse myself and call in sick on my own and all that. my principle and counsler kept my situation pretty much quiet, i didn't pay taxes to allow myself to go to a public school.(thats what i remember being told?) i tested and did very well to go into the marine corp. that my counsler help line up. didn't follow thru and never did join.kids think they know everything til they grow up, and realize they didn't know nothing! wanted to be a marine since i was a little kid. so it was a big mistake. to this day, this is the only thing in my life that i regret!!! i have so much respect for service men,especially marines. i can even remember most of the fight song that i sang as a kid. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINE CORP.

Happy Birthday fellow Devil Dogs (B) Yuuuut!!

thanks for pointing this out wolf. i hadnt seen it.
    happy birthday to all my Marine brothers. Semper Fi.
    God I miss it.
    U.S. Marines.
    no better friend. no greater enemy.

Images

No better friend, no greater enemy. Happy birthday.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Department of the Navy

And Happy Birthday to a branch of the US Navy! We are proud of you.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    And Happy Birthday to a branch of the US Navy! We are proud of you.
    True, we are a department of the Navy. Fortunately, we're the men's department.

Images

I joined the Marine Corps in 1977 and spent 4 years there, It was the best thing to happen to me at the time - It was the only thing that I didn't quit ( The drill instructors wouldn't allow it ).

Forever Faithfull - Semper fi. My brothers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Men' Department

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    True, we are a department of the Navy. Fortunately, we're the men's department.
    Really just a branch of the Naval Department. The Marines were found hanging out in the Men's Department. Either way, happy birthday!
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Okay, since one paratrooper had to be rude as hell, I've decided to tell my "Marine Story". In 78 I was an arctic infantryman in the 172nd Brigade in Alaska. We were the aggressors in an annual exercise called Jack Frost. Units from the lower 48 came up to train in the cold, and our job was to make theirs' difficult.

We patrolled every night and probed different units' lines. The 101st Airborne usually didn't bother to post any security, you could hear their yukon stoves roaring inside the squad tents. We would toss a CS grenade inside their tent for a wake up call.

Some Marines from CA (where it doesn't snow) were part of that exercise. When you got within 100m of their perimeter (they actually had one) you heard the familiar stacatto of blanks from an M16. In otherwords, they did their damn jobs, as they should. The only army units that could/would operate in that environment, besides us, were the Rangers.

I've never seen a Marine that wasn't a decent shot, and most were excellent. I sure can't say that for most soldiers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++