Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    HikerBum WannaBe Scrub's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    Elm City, North Carolina
    Age
    50
    Posts
    39

    Default Water? Massie Gap to Damascus

    We are planning to hike from Massie Gap to Damascus on Fri, Sat, Sun this weekend. What is the water situation there? Our plans are to camp near the Spring at Buzzard Rock, and at Saunders Shelter, so our main water needs would be near these locations.

    Any advice? Should we pack anything extra?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,206

    Default

    there's plenty of water at the piped spring on whitetop. saunders is probably dry so get your water on the creeper trail a few miles before

  3. #3
    Registered User D'Artagnan's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-15-2005
    Location
    Mocksville, NC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,069
    Images
    115

    Default

    According to the Grayson Highlands website, the park is closed to the general public 11/15, 11/17 and 11/18/08 for "managed hunts". Don't know if this affects you or not. Just throwing it out there.

    I went to their site to check weather conditions and was surprised to see the notice.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  4. #4
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,120
    Images
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    According to the Grayson Highlands website, the park is closed to the general public 11/15, 11/17 and 11/18/08 for "managed hunts". Don't know if this affects you or not. Just throwing it out there.
    I spoke with Laurie P. at the ATC yesterday about that notice, which was total news to her. She called them and called me back.

    Short story is that banner is very misleading. They are having some "managed hunts" away from the AT. Plus, the park is not closed, at least they said the roads were open for friends to come meet up on the AT Sunday evening.

    RainMan

    .
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

    www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

    .

  5. #5
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-10-2007
    Location
    Morganton, North Carolina
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,524
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
    We are planning to hike from Massie Gap to Damascus on Fri, Sat, Sun this weekend. What is the water situation there? Our plans are to camp near the Spring at Buzzard Rock, and at Saunders Shelter, so our main water needs would be near these locations.

    Any advice? Should we pack anything extra?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there's plenty of water at the piped spring on whitetop. saunders is probably dry so get your water on the creeper trail a few miles before
    I was just at Saunders at the last bit of the SOBO run, but it was a trickle. I would head down to the Creeper/Taylors Valley.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer
    Falls Lake Trail: 2011

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    61
    Posts
    31,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    I was just at Saunders at the last bit of the SOBO run, but it was a trickle. I would head down to the Creeper/Taylors Valley.
    he wants to stay at saunders. that's why i said get water at the creeper a few miles before

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •