WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Direction Help

Default Direction Help

I'm planning on doing the first to sections of the BMT from Springer to Hwy 60. I plan on dropping my Jeep @ Hwy 60 and was wondering what is the best way to get back to Springer.

I have been down FS69 and it takes forever. Looking at the map it appears Doublehead Gap Rd runs back to FS58 & FS42 and seems like it would be the best. Does anyone know if FS58 is open from Doublehead Gap Rd to 3 Forks? There was a sign that said there was a bridge out some time back. Or is it best just to continue on DGR to FS42 and come in that way.

Thanks in advance!

Send a PM to Dances With Mice. He'll know.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

I believe that FS58 will be undriveable, since last time I was there, they had the road trenched and barricaded. In my opinion, take Hwy 60 South through Suches and by the lake turn right. I think this is Cooper Gap Rd. Really this is FS42 and I believe if you stay on it it goes to Springer. Hope this helps.

Yeah I know that way and it is FS42 but it will take much longer. The big thing I needed to know was if FS58 was still closed so you answered my question. Thx

I believe I'm going to try DGR to FS42 and come in that way unless someone chimes in with something better.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguru View Post
    I believe I'm going to try DGR to FS42 and come in that way unless someone chimes in with something better.
    Thats what I would do. 58 was still signed as closed last time (6 months or so) I was there.

Images

I'm pretty sure FS 58 is open. I think it was in the last 6 months that I went up that way.

++ New Posts ++