WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: no nuts

Default no nuts

hey there. looking for a nut alternative. peanut butter seems to be a classic/favorite/must have on the trail for alot of people. well im allergic to all kinds of nuts. nuts=death. haha. so i was wondering if anyone knows of anything that packs the punch of nuts. i have seen soy butter but havent really been anxious to try it. looks pretty terrible.

also looking for some calorie boost from something lightweight. anyone add olive oil to their lipton? cheese? etc.? what does everyone use for a calorie boost?

thanks...

brack

can you eat soy? Soy nuts are pretty tasty and come flavored. I'm guessing soy butter is pretty good too. If you are looking for protein, try TVP (textured veggie protein) Health food stores carry it and often use it dried soup mixes. You can add it to anything you eat.

Tuna, hard cheeses, dried hummus, dried refried beans, jerky, all good sources and good eats too.
    Grimace ME->GA '01
    JMT '03

The problem with cheeses and tuna is that while it has protein, it doesn't have the calories per ounce that peanut butter has.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brack
    . i have seen soy butter but havent really been anxious to try it. looks pretty terrible.
    brack
    Brack - last year after a 5K race, they had little snack packs of soynut butter and crackers for the runners - I tried it and it really was pretty tasty, and I am not a big fan of peanut butter to begin with. In fact I recommended it to a friend who is also allergic to nuts. Don't know about the nutritional value et al.

Soy-butter is great!...so are the soy products from "fantastic foods"...in the health section of most supermarkets...such as black/red beans, instant refried beans, taco filling, hummus, sloppy joes, and on and on...be creative!!!!

Sorry, forgot to address the olive oil, you can't fine a better way to increase your calorie intake than adding olive oil to everything...and it is VERY healthy to boot!

Images

Default olive oil

olive oil usually comes in glass bottles (=heavy) - what do you carry it in on the AT?

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer
    olive oil usually comes in glass bottles (=heavy) - what do you carry it in on the AT?
    You can find it in 8 oz plastic bottles or just purchase a plastic squeeze bottle from REI, etc.

Images

"Corn Nuts" which is actually parched corn. They come in flavors from plain to cajin.

I put olive oil in almost everything I eat on the trail. I carry it in a old "Coke" bottle, & recently found a 8 Oz coke bottle I now use. 8 Oz lasts me 6 days easily. I use Extra Virgin olive oil because to me it tastes best.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Sunflower seeds-hulled, 162 calories/ounce, 6 g of protein, great toasted, can add soy sauce for extra salt and flavor. They are good with rice dishes or to top dress some of those other white meals we eat a lot of. To toast just put in a dry heavy fry pan and stir until brown. Add splash of soy or hot sauce at end of process if flavor is desired. Salt to taste.

Sesame seeds also pack a punch but I do not have the stats handy. There is a good middle eastern confection of honey and sesame called halvah ( sp?)

Pumpkins seeds, salted, 154 cal/oz, 7 g protien. Available at Hispanic and health food stores and in many groceries. Toast your own with cheap post halloween pumpkins. Just spread on a cookie sheet and dry in a slow oven.

Default try Tahini sauce

see if you can find dry Humus powder that you can add water to it.

Gomasio is coarse ground sesame seeds, and an addition of salt.

Not too salty, it has a "nutty" flavor.

Gomasio is good on most "one-pot" rice dishes. It is also lightweight.

Default Can't eat nuts, eat seeds!

This was already mentioned, but eat sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. Shelled pumpkin seeds are very good. I buy 'em at Trader Joes. They have shelled organic and unshelled ones. My son prefers the unshelled ones.

Default Don't use soy!

Ever wonder why it says on the side of all soy that it is not intended for babies? This is because soy is not a usable form of protein. Soy contains large quantities of phytates. Phytates prevent omega 3 fatty acids from combining with protein, thus it stunts your growth because your body can not build protein. Nutritionist know this and thus tell parents to avoid feading soy to children. Still, there are usable forms of soy (soy without phytates: tempeh, soy sauce, and miso), but only one of these (soy sauce) is a viable trail food/condiment.
    Second generation Chinese americans and second generation Mexican americans were bigger and taller than their parents: studies identified that it was the lack of phytates in the diet that allowed the second generation children to become larger; chinese americans ate less tofu and Mexican americans at less beans prepared without rinsing; soaking and rinsing beans, a common north american bean preperation, removes the phytates from the beans.
    I do not want to make a value judgement about size (bigger is never necessarily better), yet you will want to repair muscle damage on the trail and protein is arguably an important goal. Avoid the soy!

Olive oil goes with everything, even grits.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer
    I carry it in nalgene bottles, also I put the bottle into a zip lock as the bottles gets greasy and having it in the plastic bag helps to isolate from other pack contents,

olive is one of the most calorie dennse foods of all, more calories per oz than a rib-eye steak

chocolate is another high calorie food.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TDale
    Olive oil goes with everything, even grits.
    which upgrades grits to polenta

every try grits, olive oil, tuna fish with red pepper?
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Not yet, but that sounds good. Could fix that at breakfast for lunch. Oatmeal for breakfast that day. Thanks.

Miso isn't a valid trail food? I eat dehydrated miso packet soup all the time, including on the trail.

Default Toasted Corn, Too!

Here's a link to an Arizona store that you can order toasted corn from, in addition to soy nuts. Toasted corn is great in soups and stews and cassoroles, it reconstitutes quickly, provides needed fiber, and it's really good right out of the bag, although you need good teeth to eat it that way.http://www.lehivalleycountrystore.co...tegory_Code=TC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++