WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Smile Philly Spring Clean-up pictures

A little background information:

The Fairmount Park System comprises the largest amount of green space within the city limits of any city in the world.

Today, (April 5th, 2008) there was a massive "Philly Spring Clean-up" effort all over town; I helped out along the Wissahickon.

The Wissahickon Valley is a part of the Fairmount Park System...and one of my favorite places.
    (It's only about a 15 minute drive from my house, unless it's "Rush" Hour)

Bear in mind that all of these pictures were taken in the middle of Philadelphia...

You can view the pictures HERE.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by camojack View Post
    A little background information:

The Fairmount Park System comprises the largest amount of green space within the city limits of any city in the world.

Today, (April 5th, 2008) there was a massive "Philly Spring Clean-up" effort all over town; I helped out along the Wissahickon.

The Wissahickon Valley is a part of the Fairmount Park System...and one of my favorite places.
    (It's only about a 15 minute drive from my house, unless it's "Rush" Hour)

Bear in mind that all of these pictures were taken in the middle of Philadelphia...

You can view the pictures HERE.

Hey Jack,
    Nice photos and project. Same trail/park we hiked? Anyone from the AT-L there?
    Just a tad differ from Hawaii eh
    See you soon!

Is that where you can hunt deer in Philly as long as you use rifled slugs?

Wish I could have been there! I'm literally just 15 minutes away from where those pics were taken. I had heard about the cleanup, but I have a guest from S. Korea staying wtih me, and a slow-to-heal hip injury that has me worried about whether I'll make my scheduled trip to the Grand Canyon in June. But, I hope to be there next year!

Images

Default Bridge

nice pics. is that bridge near pennypack creek?

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    I wasn't there, but it looks like the Henry Ave bridge over the Wissahickon to me, aka Suicide Bridge.

Great pics Camo. And nice work.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    Hey Jack,
    Nice photos and project. Same trail/park we hiked? Anyone from the AT-L there?
    Just a tad differ from Hawaii eh
    See you soon!
    More than a tad different from Hawaii...but much closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    Is that where you can hunt deer in Philly as long as you use rifled slugs?
    To control the deer overpopulation, they bring in professional sharpshooters sometimes, which they also do in Pennypack Park.

No hunting is permitted there by the general public nowadays, but the Wissahickon is stocked with trout several times a year.
    (I went fishing there a lot, growing up in Philly as I did)

Quote Originally Posted by Lellers View Post
    Wish I could have been there! I'm literally just 15 minutes away from where those pics were taken. I had heard about the cleanup, but I have a guest from S. Korea staying wtih me, and a slow-to-heal hip injury that has me worried about whether I'll make my scheduled trip to the Grand Canyon in June. But, I hope to be there next year!
    There were plenty of volunteers; best to take the time to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    That bridge is parallel to Ridge Avenue, a stone's throw from where Main Street in Manayunk starts.
    (I was actually on the sidewalk along Ridge when I took that shot)

Pennypack Creek is in Northeast Philly; the Wissahickon Creek is in Northwest Philly.

I wasn't there, but it looks like the Henry Ave bridge over the Wissahickon to me, aka Suicide Bridge.
    "Suicide Bridge" is the Henry Avenue bridge, but it's further upstream...with a much longer drop.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Great pics Camo. And nice work.
    My little Vivitar digital camera does take some nice pictures, huh?

"Suicide Bridge" is the Henry Avenue bridge, but it's further upstream...with a much longer drop.
    Ahhh! I see exactly where you were now. I looked at the pics very quickly. Ridge Ave. Right across the street and headed up towards Manayunk is the Restaurant Depot. I go in there and buy loads of food for big parties.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

Ahhh! I see exactly where you were now. I looked at the pics very quickly. Ridge Ave. Right across the street and headed up towards Manayunk is the Restaurant Depot. I go in there and buy loads of food for big parties.
    Precisely. I actually parked the "Camobile" near the Manayunk Diner; I think the Restaurant Depot is nearby.

Images

great pix camo! I love mountain biking Wissahickon. It really is hard to believe it's in Philly.
    Have you ever tried the BBQ place right at the beginning ?

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyhick View Post
    great pix camo! I love mountain biking Wissahickon. It really is hard to believe it's in Philly.
    Have you ever tried the BBQ place right at the beginning ?
    I never did try that BBQ place, no. If you have, is it good?

Images

Oh yeah... My brother and I rode the park up and back and then maybe half up and back again, and when we headed back to my car we rode through the BBQ place's lot..... WOW the smell made us stop. Every time we talk about going back, we always plan on eating there. Nothing better then burning all those calories, and finishing up with some pulled pork.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyhick View Post
    Oh yeah... My brother and I rode the park up and back and then maybe half up and back again, and when we headed back to my car we rode through the BBQ place's lot..... WOW the smell made us stop. Every time we talk about going back, we always plan on eating there. Nothing better then burning all those calories, and finishing up with some pulled pork.
    I guess I'm just going to have to try it sometime, then.

I guess I'm just going to have to try it sometime, then.
    has anyone every noticed how camojack always italicizes a word in one of his posts?

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

Camo,

You are the man...I am lucky enough to enjoy that resource on a weekly basis.

What amazes me is when I have to pick up those little protein shots. Littering kills me.

I have hauled the trash can out of the creek at the base of the trail up to the Indian statue. Luckily, someone saw what I was doing and helped, the thing had about 100lbs of concrete in the base.

Thanks Camo

peace
    mf

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mother's Finest View Post
    Camo,
    You are the man...I am lucky enough to enjoy that resource on a weekly basis.
    What amazes me is when I have to pick up those little protein shots. Littering kills me.
    I have hauled the trash can out of the creek at the base of the trail up to the Indian statue. Luckily, someone saw what I was doing and helped, the thing had about 100lbs of concrete in the base.
    Thanks Camo
    peace
    mf
    I try to spend time there along the Wissahickon regularly...it's one of my favorite places.

I've never understood just throwing trash down wherever a person happens to be at the moment either.

Usually I do most of my trail maintaining on the A.T., but heard about the Fairmount cleanup in time to help out.

Whereabouts do you live in Philly, anyway? I've still got relatives in the Roxborough/Manayunk area, and other spots in Philly, too...

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Wow, that is some local resource. We have smaller versions here, but nothing to rivil what Camo posted.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Wow, that is some local resource. We have smaller versions here, but nothing to rival what Camo posted.
    Yes indeed...which is why it's one of my favorite places.

A lot of people who are from Philly take it for granted, too. I don't...

++ New Posts ++