WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jobs?

Default Jobs?

So I've been planning an '09 NOBO thru for the best part of 6 or 7 months now, buying my gear and saving money with a temp position at a respectable company (I just graduated from college in May, so I decided to hike before getting a "real job"). Today, however, the company I work for offered me a very decent job that I would start full time next month.

Given the economy, I'm a little worried about not accepting this position, going for a six month hike (that I might not even finish) and coming back to a bleak job market with no money. But it's hard to just give up on an adventure that I've been looking forward to and planning for so much.

Is anyone else in a similar position / time in your life? What are your plans?

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm not in a similar position myself, but looking around at the state of the economy and the state of the country in general; I'd suggest taking the job. The job market right now is really scary and if you have an offer for a great job in the field you want to work in, you might ought to jump at it. Just my .02 worth, not meant to down your hike in any way!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I been trying to get a good job in media for the last 5 years, and I have the luck of find stuff that is talent pool or pays under $10 an hour.

I would take the job, the trail will always be there. And if it turns to be a sucky position, at least you can quit and go back hiking with some money in your pocket.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

What degree did you just graduate with and what kind of job is it?

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

While I have longed to do a thru hike I have put my career and family ahead of that dream and it may or may not ever happen. It is certainly a choice I have made and it will be a choice for you too and the good news is whatever choice you make will be OK. My compromise has been a lifelong love affair with hiking and I am satisfied by the many shorter adventures I have had hiking the AT over many years.
    Kevin

FiatSpider (great car btw), my degree is in Psychology and the job is in the chemical industry. Strange I know- I didn't go to school to get a job, just to a solid education, so I really have very little idea what I want to do with the rest of my life. I figure a job with a good title will look good as experience on future resumes though. Luckily, my boss has given me a fair amount of time to think about this, so I'll certainly take your suggestions into consideration (the trail will always be there and I can always quit this job if I hate it) and weigh the pros and cons of both choices.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

My son will graduate with a Psychology degree in May and is feeling the call of the trail too. Best of luck to you!
    Kevin

Images

This is a point in life where you have nothing holding you down so if you want to thru hike this is probably your chance until retirement. Once folks get a family it is near impossible to thru hike.

On the other hand its better to have that good job instead of having to take something that pays crap to keep the lights on. I worked at Best Buy during the holiday season a while back and my supervisor had a degree in history, but there are no jobs for a history major so he was doing the same job he could have done without all those student loans.

My opinion: your hike is more important than any job.

Samurai Hiker
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by karoberts View Post
    My opinion: your hike is more important than any job.
    Agreed. I did not realize until it was too late that my degree (CJ) was not what I really wanted to do. In fact, at this point I have realized that doing what you want, is the most important thing. In the words of Chris McCandless...."Careers are a 20th century invention, and I'll do just fine without one." Best advice I've ever taken stock in, just wish I would have realized it before I spent 40K on a college degree.

Images

Do you like the boss, the other people at work, & the job itself?

Bad employers & jobs are easy to find. Go hiking.

Good employers & jobs are hard to find. Go to work.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

You're only 22. You've got the rest of your life to get a decent job. Unless you owe someone. Go hike. You won't regret it.
    A good job, spouse and kids are most likely in your future, then thruhiking will have to wait for retirement.
    Thats the way it worked for me....wish I'd hiked rather than worrying about losing a summers wages.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashnburnBiker View Post

Given the economy, I'm a little worried about not accepting this position, going for a six month hike (that I might not even finish) and coming back to a bleak job market with no money.
    There's your answer.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrashnburnBiker View Post
    FiatSpider (great car btw), my degree is in Psychology and the job is in the chemical industry. Strange I know- I didn't go to school to get a job, just to a solid education, so I really have very little idea what I want to do with the rest of my life. I figure a job with a good title will look good as experience on future resumes though. Luckily, my boss has given me a fair amount of time to think about this, so I'll certainly take your suggestions into consideration (the trail will always be there and I can always quit this job if I hate it) and weigh the pros and cons of both choices.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Tough call. Some of the near-sided younger folks like myself will say Go for a hike! Those more conservative and looking to the bigger picture would tell you to take a hike.
    The economy IS horrible and good full-time jobs with benefits are hard to come by. BUT it doesn't sound like this is your dream job or a field in which you're dying to work, but I don't know.

You may not get many opportunities to hike if you are young, in shape, debt free and aren't married or have kids. You'll have your whole life to find jobs.

It's gotta be a very tough decision, but I envy you. Either way, you'll have something good in front of you.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Journal Entries

I sort of lean on simply going for a thru hike. But I should note that I bounced around for nearly a decade, working for near minimum wages. I belatedly got a semblance of an education and managed to do quite well -- not in terms of wealth, but in terms of reaching the end of this life, comfortable about having spent my life for things that may out live it.

WEary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Do you like the boss, the other people at work, & the job itself?

Bad employers & jobs are easy to find. Go hiking.

Good employers & jobs are hard to find. Go to work.
    Most sensible advice I've read on this thread yet.....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Everyone - Thanks for the advice. I have a meeting with my supervisor later this week to discuss compensation and such; after that I'll have some time to think.

I'll keep you posted on my situation.

Again, if there's anyone out there in my shoes, I'd love to hear how you're handling things.

-

jobs change often, hiking takes little prep if you stay in shape(I often take off hours after a job ends) take your hike when you have no work and collect UI

Quote Originally Posted by jman1984 View Post
    Agreed. I did not realize until it was too late that my degree (CJ) was not what I really wanted to do. In fact, at this point I have realized that doing what you want, is the most important thing. In the words of Chris McCandless...."Careers are a 20th century invention, and I'll do just fine without one." Best advice I've ever taken stock in, just wish I would have realized it before I spent 40K on a college degree.

Let's see...How did that work out for Chris McCandless??? Maybe not the best "lifecoach" out there!!!

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

Here is the way i see it, you may see it the same way. I'm 22 and graduating this december. I can live with my parents before and after the hike. If you work for however many years and then go hike your going to have to factor living after your hike into your budget. So u still have a nest egg for getting resettled after wards.

One bonus to your resume after the hike : Thru hike the WHOLE AT

just my 2 cents from someone in the same boat. I'm passing up a job making 30k on top of all my expenses.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++