WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default William Penn Shelter

HI there!! I stopped at William Penn Shelter on my thru, but didn't get water there, so in planning a weekend trek, I don't have any idea about the water source. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Images

Default Conditions 11/17/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Blue Mountain Spring is situated north of but near the ridgeline and is perhaps slightly more reliable than Yeich Spring (Eagle's Nest Shelter) farther east (N on the AT). Expect similiar conditions at the other once you've visited one of them. Given the rain we have had in the last few days, I would think it safe to say it's now flowing.

The alternate source for SOBOs is well water at 501 Shelter caretaker's residence, NOBOs, the spring mentioned elsewhere. To be prepared, you must know what to expect before you get there or pack in water from home or one of the alternate sources. Check the registers at 501 Shelter and Rausch Gap Shelter to learn what may be expected, read the current PA water sources thread or refer to my Berks precipitation and forecast links.

Both BMS and the alternate water source are on State Game Lands #80 where PGC regs apply. Only through hikers as defined by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania may camp on SGLs. Camping for 1 night only is permitted within 200 feet of the AT more than 500 feet from surface water and public access areas. No camping within 500 feet of Blue Mountain Spring!

WPS is on a small NPS tract south of the ridgeline as is the composting privy. Fires are permitted in the pit provided, but please clear the leaves from the fire pit area and exercise extreme caution. All fires must be completely extinguished before retiring for the night or leaving the site.

This would not be a good place for a fire to get away from you. Much timber could be destroyed and it might end up a very expensive hike. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania does prosecute people who are careless with fire.

Images

Default Peanut

Somehow you must have missed Water Conditions on the trail in Pa. which I was updating primarily for you. I believe all of the information you seek is gathered there.

SOG/Peter

Images

I appreciate the info. Sorry you had to repeat the info.

Images

I don't mind repeating for you.

Images

awww, shucks Thanks!

Images

I put you on my contacts list. You may PM me if you have questions you would rather not post to the board. Don't forget BMECC's caretakers Ron and Mick at PA 501 and Eckville respectively are available to help you with any questions you may have about regulations, trail conditions or local information.

Images

Default Shelter update 4/24/10

Stayed there one night! The spring was flowing well, however, the water smelled like sulfer and had lots of insects in it. I would bring water from another source but, if ya need it just filter. There was trash and tobacco butts all over the ground. It needs a good cleaning and I will be going back with a trash bag to pick up tomarrow. Had some locals visit and talk about coming back with their coolers on wheels when the weather gets warmer. It just one of those shelters close to a road, ya'll know what I mean.

Images

While William Penn Shelter itself is on a small NPS tract, access to it via the A.T. is by State Game Lands where possession, transportation and consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited. Some see fit to modify this particular regulation at their peril when it doesn't fit with their plans.

Has anyone cleaned Blue Mountain Spring of its accumulated debris this spring? Sometimes, I've been there late enough to have thought surely someone would have taken it upon his or herself to clean it out, but apparently it's one of those things today some must be taught to do or expect someone else to do for them.

Thanks Bloomer for your offer to gather and pack out the trash. Know that your efforts are appreciated by BMECC. While there, if you have 10-20 minutes, use them to clean the dead, rotting leaves from Blue Mountain Spring and dispose of them downhill and away from it. It will flow more freely and be much more satisfactory in short order.

Please note this is not the thread where most of the information provided by BMECC including alternate water sources and overnight stays at this shelter is located. To locate it requires a search or changing the settings to display older threads. BMECC shelter threads have not been updated by the club in part because little if anything worthy of mention has changed although it's apparent enough misinformation has accumulated in some to warrant new threads.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomer View Post
    Stayed there one night! The spring was flowing well, however, the water smelled like sulfer and had lots of insects in it. I would bring water from another source but, if ya need it just filter. There was trash and tobacco butts all over the ground. It needs a good cleaning and I will be going back with a trash bag to pick up tomarrow. Had some locals visit and talk about coming back with their coolers on wheels when the weather gets warmer. It just one of those shelters close to a road, ya'll know what I mean.
    I'm a bit confused - are we talking about trash near the spring or the shelter? When I was there during the week this week, neither area seemed to be a mess. But, things can change overnight....

Yes, the locals seem to LOVE this area to death - the last few years, we've been taking out lots of broken/abandoned equipment and quite a bit of trash. With the advent of coolers-on-wheels, it seems that almost no area is safe from the "weekend warriors". But it is entirely possible that the Game Commission could be "on patrol" out there on any given weekend, and the fines for illegal activities are hefty, are per person per offense, and are often stacked on on top of another...fine totals approaching $1,000 per person at a given site are not out of the question.

The PGC used to have a toll-free number to report violations...do you have a cell phone? (need I say more?)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    Yes, the locals seem to LOVE this area to death - the last few years, we've been taking out lots of broken/abandoned equipment and quite a bit of trash.
    If locals really loved it, they'd show their appreciation by helping out or staying at home. The Appalachian Trail is a national treasure people travel to our country from around the world to see. Surely people don't come here to see our lack of respect for what they have been told is something extraordinary!

Images

Default Cleaning duty

Well the broken glass was around the fire ring, the tobacco butts all around the picnic table, a aluminum cooking pan thrown down the hill 20' into weeds.... not to complain cause I'm not perfect because I did leave crumbs from my pop-tarts oops sorry I will take care of cleaning the leaves out of the spring too.... Glad to get some feed back from this community on this shelter and topic. Now the weather is clearing, I will head back to the shelter from Rt 72 parking area tomarrow. safe travels!

Images

Thank you for contributing your time to a worthwhile cause. BMECC can always use more help and likely would assign someone to the task you did today had they more.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Thank You Bloomer. It goes to show that us section hikers And day hikers, that take the time to clean up a bit make a difference. PA Rocks!
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

Thanks, Bloomer -- I'm back to 12 hour work days again, so I'm just now seeing the rest of this thread.
    I/we (BMECC) appreciate your efforts.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Default Shelter Clean Up

Well I got the trash cleaned up! Sorry I couldn't get the spring fully cleaned of organic matter. To do a proper spring cleaning you would have to have a rake and shovel. The spring does need a cleaning! I found that smell comes from the decaying organics in the spring. Wish I could have done more, however, I never took it upon myself to clean and help maintain a shelter before and I'm afread I'm behind the learning curve.

Images

Thanks again.

The spring is situated where leaves collect. I have cleaned it myself before. It may be best done by hand in a manner which minimizes stirring up sediment. I might take a 5-gallon bucket were I to tackle it.

Once clean, the natural flow will carry all the undesireable material into Chesapeake Bay, leaving behind nothing but pure, mountain spring water, better than can be bought at a supermarket.

I've noticed hikers are often people who have an abundance of time. If everyone who finds the spring less than completely satisfactory would remove a few handfuls of leaves, it would be free of debris by May of each year if not earlier.

While I like the idea of those who stand to benefit taking responsibility for the task, I think it would be more apt to get done were it assigned to a club member by BMECC. Before someone volunteers me, I want it to be known I'm only making a suggestion and will not accept the assignment if offered.

Stayed here last night. Shelter is in great condition. Cleaned up what trash was around (Not much). Only thing was the registry was full.
    21.1% Done

Images

FYI, the privy at WPS is currently under renovation.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    .... Only through hikers as defined by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania may camp on SGLs. ...
    It appears to be defined as any hike where your starting location is different from your ending location, such as a car shuttle hike. Even a out and back if you are picked up a mile or so before and taking back to your car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++